FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

After picking 2nd time, American 1106 won't open with key

<<

pickaxe

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:08 pm

After picking 2nd time, American 1106 won't open with key

I just finished picking an American 1106 for the second time, and after clicking the shackle closed I noticed that the core was over rotated slightly. The guard won't allow a key to be inserted to open the lock. This was a new lock. Anyone had this problem?
<<

insatiableOne

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:01 pm

Re: After picking 2nd time, American 1106 won't open with ke

Ya just stick a thicker like .025 pick in and turn the core. If you happened to really rotate it way past the anti drill plate, and just cannot get it to budge, you can pick it in reverse.

Just fudge with it, (gently) and it should turn.
not illiterate, just tough to overcome auto-correct & type on mobile device
<<

pickaxe

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:51 pm

Although I raked it afterward to try to free up any stuck pins, I got to thinking maybe a quick rake wasn't enough to free it up if it was really stuck. Sure enough, I was a really tightly stuck pin. Freed that up with my hook and the lock works perfectly now.
<<

insatiableOne

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:57 pm

on with the show!
not illiterate, just tough to overcome auto-correct & type on mobile device
<<

Blazer0981

Post Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:01 pm

I've had that happen on a different lock but I ended up finding a burr on top of the core above the pin stacks that was catching and not letting the core rotate. Too much tension, possibly? Causing it to deform the top ledge of the core is about the only thing I came up with.
<<

PappaPig

Familiar Face

Post Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:55 am

I did the same as the OP, and I crapped it. Couldn't, for the life of me, work out what I'd done wrong. I finally inserted a small screwdriver into the keyway, and gently rotated it back into the correct position. Now, when I pick an 1100, I insert the key before closing the shackle. No more worries...
Nothing ventured, nothing gained...
<<

Blazer0981

Post Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:14 pm

I picked up an 1105 a few days ago, so I figured I'd check it and see if it over-rotated, also.

I've tried closing it without the key inserted multiple times and it hasn't gotten stuck, yet.

I also swapped cores with an Abus 72/40 to hopefully keep it from spinning. The actuator spring isn't nearly as strong in the Abus, so I figured it would have less chance of over-rotating in that body. So far, so good. It did want to rotate left in the Abus body a few times with the key but after that, it stopped. Since the Abus doesn't have a key turn limiter, I figured that body would be better suited to the master core, in case it did rotate left.

The best I can figure is the pins were sticking so they didn't drop when it passed the "home" setting, for lack of a better term. Whatever was causing the pins to stick isnt causing it any longer. I figure it was probably oil that master put in the lock making them stick.

Either that or the spring is so strong on the actuator that it's essentially acting as a plug spinner and/or has stuck pins.

Anybody else got any sort of theory or explanation for what's causing it?

Edited to add: after pulling this 1105 apart, I'm almost certain I know what's causing it. It's whatever that super thick, sticky goo is that they use inside the lock. Get it on the pins and they stick in their bores almost immediately. It's super tacky, whatever it is.

Return to Uber-Noob