FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

An old lock off Ebay.

<<

pagedeveloper

Post Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:10 am

An old lock off Ebay.

Not sure why this lock is really old. I just liked the over all look of it.

[img]
sargent_lock.jpg
[/img]

So does anyone know anything about it??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:08 pm

Re: An old lock off Ebay.

That is what is called a push key type lock. After key is inserted the cyld must be pushed inward and then rotated right or left. The shackle and cylinder are one piece. So to pick it you can put the top of the shackle in a vise leaving room to insert something between the shackle and the top of the lock to lever it to apply tension. Usually have very strong spring so takes some getting use to so you can apply just the right amount of tension. Fun locks to pick and make keys for I have a large collection of many different ones. The lock can be taken apart to make a key but must be open to get it apart. Have fun.

Richard
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

pagedeveloper

Post Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:45 pm

"That is what is called a push key type lock. After key is inserted the cyld must be pushed inward and then rotated right or left. The shackle and cylinder are one piece. So to pick it you can put the top of the shackle in a vise leaving room to insert something between the shackle and the top of the lock to lever it to apply tension. Usually have very strong spring so takes some getting use to so you can apply just the right amount of tension. Fun locks to pick and make keys for I have a large collection of many different ones. The lock can be taken apart to make a key but must be open to get it apart. Have fun."

OK.. so the how many pins are in the lock? So I would put the top of the lock into a vice, and then put something in to the top of the lock. Now to hold tension, do push it a specific way?? Or just keep
tension on it?? Do not have the tools to make keys yet. I have just started this, I have small lock pick set. I have a small vice outside, so I can put it in there. I will try to work on it, and ask question as they
come up, If that would be OK..

Thank you...
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:39 pm

There should be only 4 pins in that lock. Turn the lock upside down in vise clamping shackle leaving only enough room to insert something about 6 inches long to use as a lever. Just press down on it raises the lock body and allows you to carefully adjust how much tension is applied. Takes some getting use to but works great. You will need to vary the tension as you feel the lever gives more you are getting closer to getting it open. May fall right open easy or take a while, when it opens turn the lock body to keep it open. Good luck.
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:20 am

Can't you just shim it like the Yale PKPT padlocks? Then he would not risk damaging the pins by using too much pressure when levering the shackle and body.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:19 pm

Sure he can just shim it from the front but I thought he wanted to learn how to pick it open. Doubt he has shims or key blanks or a way to unscrew the cap without damaging it. I have levered open 47 of these locks never damaged anything doing it but guess he should be light handed doing it.

I did say "Just press down on it raises the lock body and allows you to carefully adjust how much tension is applied." Carefully is a key word there. Using the technic I described allows you to easily vary the tension to a super light tension and not drop any pins works better than any rope tied to your foot by light years.
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

pagedeveloper

Post Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:46 pm

Yes, that is what I was looking to do. Just learn how to open it. I have a small vice, that i can put it in and put a little pressure on it..

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock