FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

When was the last time

<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Thu May 18, 2017 6:51 pm

When was the last time

I have 1 key rack that is specifically for oddball keys and I keep it for 'just in case'. It doesn't take up a lot of space. Got to looking at the keys on it and wondered when, if at all, I had cut one of the keys on the rack. Some of these manufacturers are for Arrow, Clinton, Elgin, Fraim, Hollymade, Olympic, Segal, Skillman, and Welch. Can anyone else relate?
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu May 18, 2017 7:58 pm

Re: When was the last time

bitbuster wrote:I have 1 key rack that is specifically for oddball keys and I keep it for 'just in case'. It doesn't take up a lot of space. Got to looking at the keys on it and wondered when, if at all, I had cut one of the keys on the rack. Some of these manufacturers are for Arrow, Clinton, Elgin, Fraim, Hollymade, Olympic, Segal, Skillman, and Welch. Can anyone else relate?

ummm... maybe. :oops: Keep in mind that this my hobby, not my profession. And that this is not nearly all of my blanks. Ran out of wall space to make/put up more key boards. As such, there are many on the boards that I have never cut. Though sometimes I modify one to fit a lock for which I have no blanks.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

GregWhitney

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 18, 2017 8:02 pm

Just a hobby for me too but I have one rack with keys I have never cut. I just started to inventory them with the intention of passing them off to someone who might actually use them. Do you think a list in this forum would be better than trying to sell on eBay? I'm not looking for anything but a good home - how do you'all find new homes for these kinds of blanks?
Greg
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 18, 2017 8:36 pm

Bitbuster when I started in this work I had to have a box of Welch keys with me always. Now I don't think I have even seen a Welch cylinder in 25 years! Arrow I still see a lot of, most of the others you mention have been out of business forever. I have literally hundreds and hundreds of old automotive blanks, 1920's to 1980's American stuff. But those cars are collectors items and my blanks are aftermarket. Collectors want original! I have used them for some church promotions that didn't require a working key. Those folks had no clue what they were supposed to fit. I have a good bit of old Eagle cabinet locks and assorted and sundry blanks that may get used if I have occasion to "make one fit "!
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri May 19, 2017 6:50 am

I have a bunch of old blanks and precuts - Penn, Barrows, Yale, various Corbin that I keep separate from my normal stock of blanks.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Fri May 19, 2017 11:23 am

Jeff: I also keep older pre-cuts in a separate can. Come in real handy when in need of 'originals' to match locks.
Gordon: Modification is good.
Mark: I have quite a number of older aftermarket car blanks. When on the hunt for keys I don't mind getting '50-'60s pre-cut GM blanks. When cutting keys at car shows, many people want orig BS blanks. I tell them I have those in pre-cut only and if there is enough brass left on the pre-cut I can cut their key. They are willing to pay extra.
Greg: List your keys in both LP and Ebay.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri May 19, 2017 11:55 am

Greg, send me a PM with what you have. I know many collectors and may be interested myself.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

GregWhitney

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 19, 2017 12:08 pm

PM sent
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 19, 2017 3:44 pm

bitbuster wrote:I have 1 key rack that is specifically for oddball keys and I keep it for 'just in case'. It doesn't take up a lot of space. Got to looking at the keys on it and wondered when, if at all, I had cut one of the keys on the rack. Some of these manufacturers are for Arrow, Clinton, Elgin, Fraim, Hollymade, Olympic, Segal, Skillman, and Welch. Can anyone else relate?

Kind of lol. I am constantly getting random KIK/mort cylinders, so the more random blanks I have the better the chances I have of something fitting when go to the board. Worse case scenario, it sits on the board looking good, or someone else needs one and I can save the day.

I've recently built a new blank board with 180+ spaces, but only about half are used. So I want all the blanks I can get right now ☺

Return to Key Making