FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help ID-ing a key

<<

Dr Yale

Post Thu May 18, 2017 5:21 pm

Help ID-ing a key

Hello Everyone! I'm new here and I was wondering if someone could help me out. I'm looking for more keys just like this one, actual Yale 5-pin traditional nightlatch style keys, chromed. This one came with a Euro Profile lock but I can't seem to find any more like it, the head frame and logo etc. I should say that I am not looking for any key that will fit my lock, I am specifically looking to match this key exactly, even if I had to buy a new lock to get a new set of keys just like this.

The issue is that there are no identifying markers on the key and all my internet searches have turned up nothing. I originally got it on eBay and I'm not having any luck there now. I did read that it could possibly be a China version of a Yale lock though.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Thu May 18, 2017 6:34 pm

Re: Help ID-ing a key

With bifocals, it appears to be a Y1 or Y2.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

jimu57

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 18, 2017 7:03 pm

I think a 997E or Y52.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 18, 2017 8:09 pm

You are asking a lot, to much maybe. Even if you could visually decode the key, how would you get this information to work for you? It looks like you need a Yale dealer (distributor?) that stocks original blanks and cuts keys by code. Even then Yale uses a very shallow angle between cuts. A code machine may not duplicate that. It's an interesting request, very cryptic and very specific, all at the same time! Good luck with your search.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

Dr Yale

Post Fri May 19, 2017 6:20 pm

Yeah, sorry, I should have added more information. The key fits a Y1 type lock. I'm trying to match a key from a TV show, I'm a bit of a collector. I actually own the key pictured but I need more of them and from what I can tell, I'm lucky to have found this one with the Euro Profile Lock.

I'll do some searches for the suggested numbers here and I'll see if I can find some Yale dealers but if anyone here knows of a good one I could try, I'd very much appreciate the assist.

Thank you all so much for the replies so far too!
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri May 19, 2017 6:26 pm

Dr Yale wrote:Yeah, sorry, I should have added more information. The key fits a Y1 type lock. I'm trying to match a key from a TV show, I'm a bit of a collector. I actually own the key pictured but I need more of them and from what I can tell, I'm lucky to have found this one with the Euro Profile Lock.

I'll do some searches for the suggested numbers here and I'll see if I can find some Yale dealers but if anyone here knows of a good one I could try, I'd very much appreciate the assist.

I am sure if you just ask someone here will know the cuts to the key to the TARDIS.
<<

Dr Yale

Post Fri May 19, 2017 6:36 pm

mdc5150 wrote:
Dr Yale wrote:Yeah, sorry, I should have added more information. The key fits a Y1 type lock. I'm trying to match a key from a TV show, I'm a bit of a collector. I actually own the key pictured but I need more of them and from what I can tell, I'm lucky to have found this one with the Euro Profile Lock.

I am sure if you just ask someone here will know the cuts to the key to the TARDIS.

It's not the cuts that I need to know, in fact I already own 99% of the keys I need for that collection. My issue is that I need more of this exact key to have them all but for some reason, even though I only bought this key with a brand new lock three years ago, I can't seem to find any more Yale locks with this exact key.

EDIT: Actually buy cuts you mean the type of key didn't you? I thought you meant the cuts of the teeth. The TARDIS keys all fit a Y1 lock, or the keys all match a Y1, it's just that some are brass and some are silver, some have one shoulder while some have two, but the details on the face also change. Some are easy to find while this one, this one seems to be a pain in the butt to locate another :/
<<

jimu57

Familiar Face

Post Sat May 20, 2017 6:44 pm

Try www.bluedogkeys.com. you may have to call them.

Jimu57
<<

Dr Yale

Post Tue May 23, 2017 4:37 pm

jimu57 wrote:Try http://www.bluedogkeys.com. you may have to call them.

Jimu57

Thank you, that's a great help! I tried to log in yesterday but it seemed the site was down, so sorry for my late reply.
<<

jimu57

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 23, 2017 5:52 pm

I still think it is a Y52. I see that keyway used in a lot of import cylinders.
<<

Dr Yale

Post Fri May 26, 2017 6:35 pm

It certainly looks like it could be a Y52 from searches, but I recently contacted Yale directly and they say that they have nothing like it so I'm feeling like ebay may be my only bet.
<<

Werewolf

Familiar Face

Post Sat May 27, 2017 8:14 am

Dr Yale wrote: I'm trying to match a key from a TV show, I'm a bit of a collector.

Have you googled "tardis key" ?
"Who are you and how did you get in here ?"
"I'm the locksmith , and i'm a locksmith"
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun May 28, 2017 11:46 am

SKS In UK buddy ... blank 1AG genuine YALE - 5 pin shoot them a email
<<

Dr Yale

Post Sun May 28, 2017 6:43 pm

Werewolf wrote:
Dr Yale wrote: I'm trying to match a key from a TV show, I'm a bit of a collector.

Have you googled "tardis key" ?

I, along with a few others, basically wrote the book on TARDIS keys if I'm honest. And I know that sounds big headed. The issue is, finding the keys once they sellers run out.
<<

Dr Yale

Post Sun May 28, 2017 6:45 pm

10ringo10 wrote:SKS In UK buddy ... blank 1AG genuine YALE - 5 pin shoot them a email

I'll give them a go, thanks. Everyone I've email so far says that they don't make them anymore or that they only sell non-Yale keys. The key I am trying to get another of seems to have been made by a China branch of Yale, from what I have uncovered. Not that that helps me much here :/ But thank you for the suggestion.

Return to Uber-Noob