FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Announcing the inaugural OzLockCon (2017)

<<

aeporia

Familiar Face

Post Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:03 am

Announcing the inaugural OzLockCon (2017)

Hi all,

I wanted to briefly drop in to let y’all know about something fun a bunch of us pickers Down Under have been organising for the community over the last wee while:

A bunch of us Oz pickers participate in infosec/hacker cons — in fact many of us actually run the lock villages at these cons (eg. BSidesCanberra, CrikeyCon, Ruxcon, and even AusCERT, + more). So while we definitely have our own awesome series of infosec cons in Australasia the one thing us Oz pickers have been envying the most are the EU/US LockCons (the distance is a real bummer).

So, we decided end last year that it was about time we had a LockCon in Down Under, and so I’d like to formally invite y’all — especially pickers in Australasia — to OzLockCon, the first Australian con on just physical security.

It’s going to be running in Melbourne on June 3rd–4th, and will be open to anyone. Yup — we’re breaking tradition from the EU and US LockCons and running this event for the community in the same vein that the aforementioned hacker cons are run. We’re intending to bring together hobbyists, professionals, and LEOs.

Our Call for Papers, Workshops, and Demos are open now — if you’re thinking of sharing some of the knowledge you have please consider taking a look.

Disclosure: this is a community-run event, run at-cost. We’re currently bootstrapping this event out of our own back pockets (not to mention time) and we’re offering sponsorship slots for organisations who operate within this space (eg. lock vendors, locksport suppliers, and security companies).

:prybar:

Asides—

I have been on hiatus from this board for a wee while (in part working on this). *waves* (:

Admins: if this post is more applicable in another sub-forum please feel free to move it. Secondly, if it’s in breach of any advertising please let me know (I checked and from what I can tell giving heads up on community events related to locksport and security research is A-OK).

Er, yea. That is all. (:

Feel free to ask any questions (psst, check out the FAQ on the site first).

—aeporia (aka klepas), and the OzLockCon Consmiths.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:55 pm

Re: Announcing the inaugural OzLockCon (2017)

Due to travel cost issues I'm not sure how many folks from around the world will be able to attend but I think this is a neat idea.

I wish you guys success in this endeavour.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:59 pm

I wish I was going (hope to attend in 2018 or 2019) but some of my cutaways should be making a appearance ;)
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

dontlook

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:14 am

It has been very exciting to watch all this start up. Glad to see stuff going on everywhere!

One day I would like to make it out there for this, but I will not be able to this year.
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:53 pm

I registered a couple of days ago, so I'm in.

If you need presenters or workshoppers I'm happy to help out with this, let me know.
<<

Rumball Solutions

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:54 pm

I would encourage those in Australia to do what they can to support the event. The guys are basically self funding this venture. If we don't support events like this, they fall by the wayside and disappear.

It's pretty cheap for 2 days of education and entertainment. If you work in the security industry (physical or INFOSEC) in any way, there's a good chance you can claim the costs of attending as a tax deduction for professional development (check the ATO website or with your accountant).

Return to Announcements