FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

"Stoning" A Safe Mount

Forum rules
A section for neophytes learning the hobby!

Learn the requisite skills watching videos of other experienced members in action.

Post TUTORIAL videos only!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:54 pm

"Stoning" A Safe Mount

"Stoning" A Safe Lock Mount

Needed a project while at work, so took a safe lock mount that I made with horrible, broken wood (it was intentionally ugly so hopefully nobody would steal it) and decided to dress it up a bit. Was partway through the 'upgrade' when I figured that some pics should be taken in case someone else wanted to give it a try. So you don't get to see this mount in the original ugliness.

This would also work to make some really nice mortise or euro-profile mounts.

The top section of the mount was two sections of particle board sandwiched between two cheap pieces of plywood, bonded together with epoxy and screwed together overnight to allow it to harden. (And drip. Remember, I wanted it ugly before a couple days ago). The bottom was a broken piece of particle board. Filed flat the edges, and proceeded below.

Started by patching up the broken sections and sandwiched sections of wood using wood filler. Wood filler starts out looking like this...

Used it just like that to do the major repairs and filling in of very rough areas.

Sand the rough edges down using 220 grit sandpaper.

Now to start making it look a bit better. Used small squares of masking tape to cover the holes actually used for the lock.

Now get some of that wood putty in a small dish.

Add some water to thin it down...

And work it into a smooth paste about the consistency of peanut butter or soft serve ice cream.

Perfect. Now put on a glove and get a little bit of the paste on the finger and smear it around. Don't be shy. Put on plenty. The advantage of putting on more is that you can sand it down thinner to make the dial perfectly line up with the drive cam position. No shims needed.

Now use your finger to find and mark the tape locations.

And remove the tape while the wood filler is still damp/wet.

Yes, am taking pics of both sides. Get over it. ;)

Once it has dried hard (an hour or so will do, though I left it for a day and a half, since it stayed at work while I had a day off), sand it smooth. It does not need to be perfectly smooth. You will see why soon.

Use a rag to wipe off the dust.

Now for the magic part. Get a can of spray paint that is supposed to look like stone. Chose this lighter color since the dial and dial ring of the lock is black chrome, and it would stand out better against a lighter color. But not too light.

Spray the whole thing. Don't try to cover it in one coat. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes, then add another coat. Then it will look a bit better.

Now we're talking! Let the paint dry/harden for 4 to 6 hours. Then mount the lock.

Don't forget your spline key!

Don't forget the key!

OK, now that looks pretty decent for something that started as broken, ugly wood. The bottom tells the true tale. Broken corners, chipped center section.

But I'm not telling... are you? ;)
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:42 pm

Re: "Stoning" A Safe Mount

Sweet! :drool:
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:52 pm

Looks great Gordon.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:22 pm

We'll see if my wife notices.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:27 am

Bravo!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Fred B

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:12 am

Nice Work ,,,,
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:34 pm

Oh yeah, quite the makeover. Turned out fantastic! So? What did your wife say? :D

I too really like these textured spray paints for safe mounts. I've actually amassed quite a stockpile
to choose from, lol. Hammered metal, fine grit, or the stone... as you've so eloquently illustrated here.
It's almost like tiny globs of paper mache. They just create a really nice texture & a rich blend of colors.

Problem's that most stores gouge the shit outta ya for 'em. Usually somewhere around $6 - $11 PER can.
I can see why though. It's kind of a specialty item. Probably a 1x purchase for a 1x project for most people.

Dunno if any of you guys have one of these near you, but 'Townline Unlimited Bargain Barn' sells
the EXACT same stuff for $1.50 per can. Yeah, a buck and a half. I'm not sure how they can offer
it for that... but I really don't give a shit, lol. Closest one to me is over an hour away, but I always
stop in if I'm passing through. I can drop $20 and walk out with a DOZEN cans. Spend the same
$20 anywhere else, and you're lucky to leave with THREE cans. *shakes his head*

Also, I don't trust the 4-6 hour dry times. Dry to the touch, yeah. But it might not be quite ready to have
a dial ring tightened down to it yet. Of course it will vary depending on where it's left to dry and how many
coats you've put on (I tend to put at least 3 coats). Each texture is different too. The fine grit seems to dry
the quickest. The stone is so-so. And the hammered metal is the worst. I know my impatience and rush to
get a lock mounted has caused me trouble in the past, lol. Anyway if you're not in a real big rush, definitely
let it go for longer. Several or more days even is not a bad idea at all.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:24 pm

Oldfast wrote:Oh yeah, quite the makeover. Turned out fantastic! So? What did your wife say? :D

I too really like these textured spray paints for safe mounts. I've actually amassed quite a stockpile
to choose from, lol. Hammered metal, fine grit, or the stone... as you've so eloquently illustrated here.
It's almost like tiny globs of paper mache. They just create a really nice texture & a rich blend of colors.

Problem's that most stores gouge the shit outta ya for 'em. Usually somewhere around $6 - $11 PER can.
I can see why though. It's kind of a specialty item. Probably a 1x purchase for a 1x project for most people.

Dunno if any of you guys have one of these near you, but 'Townline Unlimited Bargain Barn' sells
the EXACT same stuff for $1.50 per can. Yeah, a buck and a half. I'm not sure how they can offer
it for that... but I really don't give a shit, lol. Closest one to me is over an hour away, but I always
stop in if I'm passing through. I can drop $20 and walk out with a DOZEN cans. Spend the same
$20 anywhere else, and you're lucky to leave with THREE cans. *shakes his head*

Also, I don't trust the 4-6 hour dry times. Dry to the touch, yeah. But it might not be quite ready to have
a dial ring tightened down to it yet. Of course it will vary depending on where it's left to dry and how many
coats you've put on (I tend to put at least 3 coats). Each texture is different too. The fine grit seems to dry
the quickest. The stone is so-so. And the hammered metal is the worst. I know my impatience and rush to
get a lock mounted has caused me trouble in the past, lol. Anyway if you're not in a real big rush, definitely
let it go for longer. Several or more days even is not a bad idea at all.

Unfortunately, we don't have that Bargain Barn stores around here. In fact, never heard of them before you just mentioned them. But will have to check around various stores, and see if I can find them cheaper. It is about eight and a half bucks a can where I bought it. Have four kinds here. Two were for a castle project with my son, and two I bought for this project.

Luckily, as you have seen, it is just a wee bit warmer and drier here in Arizona. So the stuff does dry faster. But my preference would be to let the paint dry for a full day, if I had the option.

As for my wife... she has not mentioned it yet. Not sure if she has not noticed, or (more likely) has decided to keep her peace since it does look pretty decent. I just can't let the safe locks keep propagating.

Too quickly. :mrgreen:

Gordon
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:41 pm

OK, that answers that. My wife just noticed. She was picking up my son's remote controls for his gaming system, and stopped, and stared at me in my chair, and said "Are we growing???" My son said "It's been there for days, Mom". I told here that two of the three items there had been there for over a year. (Oldfast gave me the two mounted gold Sentry combo locks a year ago last Christmas, and it has stayed in the living room behind the wood and Lexan mounted safe lock ever since).

Her response "We are not running a lock museum". My son's ever so helpful response was "Yes we are". She got this expression that she usually reserves for me when I catch her completely off guard and she is speechless. She was trying not to laugh, but could not remove the smirk from her face as she pointed towards his bedroom and said "Bed". :D

Guess I'll have to find a new home location for that lock. :(

Gordon
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:45 am

Sounds like she's a good sport Gordon, you're a fortunate man.
My wife is rather tolerant of my eccentricities too. There are limits, but it's rare that I bump into them.
<<

Malekal

Familiar Face

Post Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:23 pm

nice!
Malekal: I guess I'll try... I thought you had to go light
xeo: you do whatever the lock wants
<<

kk500

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:32 pm