FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Information about ASSA Ruko

<<

Korver15

Familiar Face

Post Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:19 pm

Re: Information about ASSA Ruko

LocksportSouth wrote:I did ask their team during our back and forths and they said that it's no problem for them to ship to the USA as long as you're happy to pay by bank transfer :). So I assume they will ship anywhere in the world.

But yeah, they should ship anywhere - if you're happy to jump through the bank transfer hoops (this may or may not involve you having to visit the branch, depending on the bank - my bank would let me do Intl transfers online but only where the recipient has to pay their own fees, whereas in this case you're required to pay the fees of the banks on both ends)

Really?? When I was trying to make an account it told me I couldn't set up an account because something something couldn't set up an account with that country. I guess this is why human contact is important lol.
How much did the bank fees end up being for you if I might ask?
A wise man once told me I was a unique person. Just like everyone else. Korver15 Channel
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:19 pm

Korver15 wrote:Really?? When I was trying to make an account it told me I couldn't set up an account because something something couldn't set up an account with that country. I guess this is why human contact is important lol.
How much did the bank fees end up being for you if I might ask?

Oh right? I never got that error, strange... I signed up with Google Chrome using Translate, if you don't speak Danish I'd recommend it so that you definitely know what the name of the boxes you're filling in is. Also I'd turn off any adblock and similar software in case it messes with the signup. Outside of that I'm not sure - you could always email them and see if they could set up an account for you. Christina, the "Office and Accounting" (from their website staff spoke very good English in her emails to me :). You can sign up manually with the form here (on the right hand side, enter your email address and continue :))
IIRC I also had to find and fill in my address manually - easy enough with Translate, though if you run into any issues I'm sure they'll be able to make you an acct :).

Bank fees - this company asks that you cover both your end and their end, so that the full amount of DKK turns up in their account. Your end will depend on your bank - most banks have flat fees for international transfers, at least here in the UK. For me at my bank, it was around £10 ($15 or so). However I have no idea what I'm going to get charged for THEIR bank yet as it takes 2 working days to do the transfer and it hasn't gone through yet (I believe once the cash arrives in their bank, it then takes a few working days for the fees to come back to you... Kinda like a boomarang). I'm -hoping- it'll be similar - £5 to £20 or so - but I'll report back here when I find out the exact amount. I'm also not sure whether the fees are flat-rate on their end (as it is here), or will be tiered depending on how much I sent.

Also don't forget about import taxes / customs charges / VAT and that sort of thing. I'm expecting to pay:

* The cost of the padlocks themselves
* Shipping (flat rate of 250 DKK from that shop I believe) (around $36-$40)
* Your bank charges for the transfer (may be around $15 or so; check with your bank)
* Their bank charger (hopefully around the same but no idea yet)
* (in the UK) VAT once it comes through customs - 20% of the whole order value, including shipping I believe
* Duty - Sometimes you get charged Duty, sometimes VAT, sometimes both. I think there's a complex set of intersecting stuff regarding which gets charged for what. Typically this has been £20-£80 for things I've ordered before. Once it was around £150 for an especially pricey item >_<
* Handling feed - If a courier pays Customs on your behalf in order to bring the item to you, they'll normally charge a handling fee for this. There's no way around this as far as I know as only the couriers can interact with customs in this way, I assume it's all tied up in contracts etc. Here it's usually somewhere around £12 to £20

So all in all it can be an expensive proposition - that said, I don't know anywhere else that you can get this wide a selection of Rukos so there may be little choice outside of grabbing the odd one here and there as they show up on eBay or some strange sites that just seem to stock one or two models :(
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:41 pm

Just figured out the difference between ***0 and ***1 locks:

0 is snap locking (i.e. you press on the shackle to lock the padlock. I assume these also have spring loaded cores and are non-key-retaining)
1 is key locking (i.e. you have to push the shackle down and rotate the key in order to lock the lock. These are key retaining).
<<

macavity

Familiar Face

Post Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:27 pm

I know that this is an ancient thread, but if you guys still need a Danish translator and/or someone to play packet hub for you, just shoot me a private message.

Also please observe, that most sellers don't label them as ASSA Ruko, but simply Ruko - this may have a huge impact on your googling.
<<

Patrick Star

Post Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:28 pm

FYI, Ruko is nowadays just the brand ASSA uses in Denmark. The locks themselves are the same as what would be sold under the ASSA brand in Sweden. Or, for some locks, ASSA Ruko in both countries.
They have no actual relationship to the old Ruko designs (the ones bosnianbill made a video about).

In other news, didn't actually know they sell ASSA dp (which is what Garant looks an awful lot like) outside systems... Hmm.
<<

macavity

Familiar Face

Post Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:08 am

FYI, Ruko is nowadays just the brand ASSA uses in Denmark. The locks themselves are the same as what would be sold under the ASSA brand in Sweden. Or, for some locks, ASSA Ruko in both countries.
They have no actual relationship to the old Ruko designs (the ones bosnianbill made a video about).

In other news, didn't actually know they sell ASSA dp (which is what Garant looks an awful lot like) outside systems... Hmm.

This is almost entirely true, but not quite.

For instance the Garant+ is not available under the ASSA brand at all. It has 10 side pins, and is available to the general public.
Secondly, the pin configuration and plug counter milling seems to differ slightly across otherwise comparable product lines.
Thirdly, and this may be a complete rumor, someone with inside knowledge, but who might have an interest in boosting the Ruko name, told me that Ruko is made to even tighter tolerances than stock ASSA. Supposedly Ruko serves as a test bench for some technologies because Danes are prepared to pay more for locks (if you compare Swedish and Danish prices they are roughly 1:1 in SEK:DKK, but 100 DKK is 127SEK which leaves ample room for more expensive manufacturing).

So, again supposedly, once Ruko has refined the next level of precision to be usable in the larger scale production the knowhow travels upstream to mother ASSA.

Obtaining a good quality digital micrometer and some sample locks of each branding is on my to-do list, but it requires a level of funds that makes it not-top-of-my-list yet. I need to get myself some Medecos and other stuff first.
<<

Patrick Star

Post Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:58 pm

Garant+ is called ASSA dp in Sweden, but only sold as part of a larger system.
Compare the key blades:
Edit: And look what I found. ruko.dk has illustrations listed for both Garant+ and dp:
Identical - even down to the top and side code of the keys. Just different bows and rendered with slightly different light and camera settings.

dp/Garant+ is a Bo Widen design by the way - i.e. the guy that usually designs ASSA mechanisms (Twin, Twin Combi, d12, etc).
But sure, the product lines probably don't always line up exactly between Sweden and Denmark (and the Trioving brand in Norway)
However unlike when ASSA bought Medeco, for example, they have replaced the original locks with ASSA locks under a different brand.

The tolerance thing is interesting though. Needs to be checked into, but AFAIK all ASSA parts are made in Sweden.
<<

macavity

Familiar Face

Post Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:38 pm

Interesting!

When I looked at ruko.dk two months ago it didn't have the dp one listed.

I found it kinda funny that they listed the Triton 501 as their large systems solution, as it only has 5 side pins.

But yeah, as i said, it is probably rumors with the production tolerances.. unless google maps can produce a Ruko factory to show evidence of the contrary.
Previous

Return to Locks Du Jour