FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Is this a Lever Lock Pick?

<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:17 am

Is this a Lever Lock Pick?

Hey guys,

Here is a link to a tool I saw recently. Does it pick lever locks? Do you think it would work well?

http://www.banggood.com/Treasury-Duplex ... 54401.html

I am looking to try and learn to pick lever locks~ any good starting tools / resources you recommend?

Thanks!
<<

Neilau

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:36 am

Re: Is this a Lever Lock Pick?

They are called Hobbs tools.

It will pick some lever locks. It depends on the thickness of the levers. A complete set of these tools have different thickness lifters (?), generally .9, 1.0 1.1 mm. there are other thicknesses.

The best place to look are the European locksmith suppliers like; Wendt and Multi-pickService. They have catalogues that you can download.

To start out, get some inexpensive lever locks and bend some wire. You tube is a good place to get an idea about what you will be doing.

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

houdini1

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:28 am

They are only for cheaper type mortice
Locks for better quality mortice locks
With Barrel and curtains you need a curtain pick
Which is most common in ik
<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:21 am

Thanks guys!

Just wanted to check to see if it could be useful in some way, but it sounds like I should start with wire and then pick up some higher quality tools.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:54 am

good price - looks like a pipe - barrel lever lock pick many lever lock picks required and years of training to open them
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:32 pm

Hey Marduk, I too just go into lever locks so I you find any picks, videos or anything related please do post them and Ill do the same.

The gents are right, get yourself some cheap lever locks (not antique preferably as it would be a sham to take a part a nice antique locks unless its broken) and take it apart to see the internals. OR you can just check out Lauren's thread here and on the other site. He has plenty of high quality pictures of the internals.

Just check that link, wow the tool looks very well machined but that may be just for the picture. It may open locks but depends on which lever locks you are talking about (time era) and as the boys already said the size of the tool is also critical
<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:45 pm

Sure thing Papa Gleb! I got a long way to go though! haha~

I watched around a dozen you-tube videos so I got a good idea how things work, but I am just lacking some hands on experience. I got see if I can pick up some beginner materials for a good price.

In Taiwan there are a decent amount of Lever Locks in use~ that's what got me thinking about how they might be picked. It's interesting that you never see them in the USA~ I wonder why that is?

How many different style "tension tools" are there for lever locks? I am confused if there is a universal tool or you need a bunch of different kinds for different lock brands.
<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:30 pm

Hi. Yes its for lever locks, Its generic name is a 2 in 1 pick. The end peice tensions the bolt, whilst the thinner part closer to the user lifts the levers. They can be used on a range of non curtain locks, however. It isnt a one size fits all. They may have to be ground to suit the lock you need to open.
<<

Patrick Star

Post Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:04 am

This is the tool in viewtopic.php?p=107770#p107770
So yes, it works for some subset of lever locks, and you get 2 tools (different lengths seem to be the only difference?) so you can grind one down for locks where the standard size is too big.
In case it's not obvious from the "work of art" my "camera" produced, it's meant for the kind of lock with a pin in the middle and a hollow key (correct name escapes me). I think you could file down the tensioning part and use it with some other locks as well.

This is the annoying thing with lever locks - if you want to use anything fancier than wires, you need lock-specific (or atleast family-specific) tools. On the plus side, they are often much lower precision than eg. disc locks so you can often get away with using cheap and/or quick-and-dirty tools.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:39 am

Or even something like this: :razz:

<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:28 pm

Wish I had the patience to make such a tool hp - Maybe one day love seeing your inventions ... :razz:
<<

NKT

Post Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:32 am

From what I know, that's not a 2-in-1, because it is for a post lever lock, not a pin key lever lock, which makes it a Hobbes pick.
They are made large and require a lot of filing down to size for the target lock. I've spent over an hour on some jobs making the tool fit the lock.
Badly made ones frequently bend too, and the more metal you've removed the weaker it is.

I suggest getting some lever locks then making our sourcing tools that will fit - you may never find a lock that fits that specific pick.
<<

rphillips52

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:54 am

Marduk28 wrote:Sure thing Papa Gleb! I got a long way to go though! haha~

In Taiwan there are a decent amount of Lever Locks in use~ that's what got me thinking about how they might be picked. It's interesting that you never see them in the USA~ I wonder why that is?

How many different style "tension tools" are there for lever locks? I am confused if there is a universal tool or you need a bunch of different kinds for different lock brands.

Why no lever locks in the USA? Americans now regard anything invented before Yale's pin tumbler cylinder lock as self-evidently old-fashioned and insecure. Customers now demand a small key and a lock that is quick and easy [i.e. CHEAP] to install. Never mind security, feel the small size of the key.
In some other parts of the world, there is more interest in secure locks. Lever locks are physically robust, and because they vary in size many different sizes of opening kit are indeed needed to be able to cope with the variety of lever locks which might be encountered in places where lever locks are used. Some lever locks also contain wards, which hinder picking. Some decoder kits are specific to one model of lock. Kit for opening lever locks is also more expensive to buy (or more laborious to make) than the one-size-fits-all tools for pin tumbler locks. A supplier of a type of tool used for opening double-bit italian-style lever locks offers 40 different tools to cope with the variety of such locks in use, for example. If you just choose to drill, it is obvious where to drill a tiny hole in the brass pin tumbler cylinder face. Good luck looking at the keyhole of a lever lock and knowing where to drill — and many modern lever locks have drill-resisting cases, with saw-resisting bolts.

Actually, many keys for lever mortice locks are not much larger than many cylinder keys, especially modern car keys with large plastic heads. Ok, they are a little larger than a 5-pin Kwikfit key. Some lever locks have been engineered to have bits with fairly short steps. In locks using a bolt thrower, for example, a long [high] key bit is not necessary to achieve a long bolt throw.

Finally, if American customers do desire a SECURE lock with a convenient small key, they can buy a BRAMAH lock. These are physically strong, being difficult to open even with a drill, CANNOT be bumped, and it is very unlikely anyone in North America can pick one, or copy the keys. The Bramah Lock Company can supply locks and keys around the world:
http://www.bramah.co.uk/
Yes, it was invented before the Yale lock — Yale took the cylinder locking device concept from the Bramah lock — but being the world's oldest patent lock still in production does not make it old-fashioned. As for being insecure? it is the lock preferred by government inspectors for explosive magazine doors, which in Britain require a government licence.
<<

rphillips52

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:13 pm

Marduk28 wrote:Hey guys,

Here is a link to a tool I saw recently. Does it pick lever locks? Do you think it would work well?

http://www.banggood.com/Treasury-Duplex ... 54401.html

This is a design of tool for opening some types of lever lock. However, the OP might go a long way to find locks this particular tool will fit. It is made for pipe key locks, so not suitable for two-sided locks such as door locks. Some safe locks use a pipe key, as do some cabinet locks and padlocks. However, locks vary greatly in size, so it cannot fit even all pipe key lever locks.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:16 pm

I found no lock where the Chinese tool works as it is and for practically all locks the hooks are to small. With skill though these picks can be adapted to a lot of the standard (certified) safe locks. The hooks can be modified and the pipe hole can be enlarged or closed with a plug. So it can be modified to work with e.g. a SMP multi-stump lock and a Mauer Variator.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
Next

Return to Uncommon Tools!