FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

<<

Naljorpa

Post Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: Newbie

Great ideas, thanks! Yes, I was using thin-handled picks (the little "credit card" set). I have some others with handles that I have not tried, so those may be better. The good thing is that I am learning and enjoying myself.
<<

Neilau

Post Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:08 am

I don’t know what type of “credit card” picks you have but the best that can be said about most of them is that they are better than nothing IF you are reasonably competent.

If you intend to continue with this hobby you really should get yourself a decent, basic set of picks.

Sparrows do some inexpensive sets and they come with a good range of torsion tools. You can get cheap Chinese sets like GoSo of Kloms. You will get a whole lot of pretty useless picks but their hooks are good – and strong.

Also, TOOOL US has a good beginners set.

The other option is to purchase individual picks from Peterson or Southord etc.

You really need good tools or you will just get frustrated. You don’t need to spend very much on a good set and you will be amazed at the difference.

You will find that most of the good pickers use only a couple of different styles for the majority of their picking, usually a hook.

There are plenty of articles on what you need and what are good tools compared to gimmicks.

“Do yourself a favor”

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Naljorpa

Post Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:38 am

The "credit card" set is a set of four picks and a tension tool in a credit card sized case. I also have a Goso set with handles that I have not really used as I am accustomed to the flat picks and was happy with them. I have a vise set up, but I was picking by holding the lock in my hand. I have a set ordered from Sparrows, too. Yes, I want to order some tension tools and look forward to trying the so-called "flat" kind. Thank you for the advice and information. I think this will be a great place to hang out!
Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself