FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

"Golden Mean" PadLock (Pics + Video)

<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:04 am

"Golden Mean" PadLock (Pics + Video)

Hey Guys,

By special request from a collector I did some searching for these locks and was finally able to track some down. I almost gave up on the search because I simply couldn't find any and most locksmiths I asked didn't even know about them as this lock has not been produced in a long time.

I am glad I kept looking and asking around because I finally got my hands on a couple.

I searched the patent number on the box, and it looks like it was filed around 1978. Here are some links:
-https://www.patexia.com/us-patents/04193277
-http://patents.com/us-4193277.html.

~ Based on that this lock should be quite old! Possibly 25-30 years old! (depending on when this lock was actually manufactured)

The best part about the ones I found is that they had just been stored away still packaged and protected, so they are super clean. So although being very old, they are in perfect condition.

These are 40mm Brass padlocks and weigh about 418 grams.

The keyway is circular and there is a row of pins at the top. The key is shaped like a sharpened Cylinder with the biting cut into a channel down length of the key. A very unique and cool looking key.

Here are some pictures:

Here is a video:

Now that I know about them I am on the hunt for more. A local locksmith told me about someone he knows who might have a few more, so send me a PM if you are interested. I will make the drive out there to check soon.
Last edited by Marduk28 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:24 am

Re: "Golden Mean" PadLock (Pics + Video)

Very cool indeed. Looks very similar to the Maxis I have:

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:44 am

Oh wow! It's the same design! Thanks for sharing your photo!

I wonder if this is the original padlock created using this keyway design. It might be possible that the original designer sold the design/patent to whoever makes Maxis now.

You can see the patent was filed by a Taiwanese inventor. I guess it's no wonder why I was asked to track one down.

Very cool!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:31 am

Do you need to rekey that lock, Marduk?

The key is three parts. The blank, the sleeve, and the collar. Above those three parts are the tools used to assemble the key.

Look carefully, and you will see a dimple on the key body (on both sides) and bumps on the sleeve (also on both sides). These assure the key parts are lined up correctly.

Slide on the collar:

Put them in the tool...

And tap the head of the key bow to set the collar in place.

And the key is ready for use.

Even have a set of depth keys. Unfortunately am missing the #2 depth key, so if anyone can get blanks, PLEASE let me know. Would like to make a #2 depth key, and have the key blanks. Want to cut some extra keys. Have a number of KIK cylinders, and want to put these in the locks on my house. :mrgreen:

And the driver pins are great mushroom pins...

Anyway, that is how your keys are put together, Marduk. Hope I did not derail your thread. Just wanted to let you and others know how the keys worked.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:33 am

Wow Gordon~ Thanks for the great breakdown. I was wondering how they made that key!

Very educational and helpful!

I also noticed that the patent on the Maxis Lock is from the same inventor of the Golden Mean, except it was filed in 1992. I wonder if he just sold the rights or actually went on to start the Maxis company?

It seems for sure though that the Golden Mean was the inventors first "Maxis" style lock.

It's fun to see the timeline developing!
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:04 pm

That is cool, I remember when Maxis came out, seems like I recall reading about them in the National Locksmith or the Locksmith Ledger magazine. Back in those days my Dad used to ditch me in the shop for most of the day, while he went out and did service calls. I thought Maxis would be the ideal new restricted cylinder the shop needed, but my old man was like "Billy forget it, we can't sell the restricted cylinders we have in stock now." So I did, good thing too, apparently
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:21 pm

Yet another really cool photo breakdown from Gordon. Love em.

Many thanks for doing that.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:27 pm

Just as a side note, this lock was developed as a response to the 'emerging' threat of photographing keys, and using the picture to decode a key. From the side, you can not see the bitting. From the top, it is much more difficult to decode.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

escher7

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:04 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Just as a side note, this lock was developed as a response to the 'emerging' threat of photographing keys, and using the picture to decode a key. From the side, you can not see the bitting. From the top, it is much more difficult to decode.

Gordon

So this is essentially a slightly wider pin tumbler with a guard on both sides of the key?

Incidentally, this lock has no "golden mean" nature either in the mathematical sense (golden ratio) or in the eastern philosophical sense (the middle way).
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:19 pm

escher7 wrote:
GWiens2001 wrote:Just as a side note, this lock was developed as a response to the 'emerging' threat of photographing keys, and using the picture to decode a key. From the side, you can not see the bitting. From the top, it is much more difficult to decode.

Gordon

So this is essentially a slightly wider pin tumbler with a guard on both sides of the key?

Incidentally, this lock has no "golden mean" nature either in the mathematical sense (golden ratio) or in the eastern philosophical sense (the middle way).

It uses standard diameter pins. They keyway is completely round, and the plug is turned by the pins themselves like a Fort tubular lock.

Correct about not using the mathematical golden ratio, though the pins and key go in the middle way. :)

Gordon
<<

escher7

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:46 am

Gordon:
Not unless the key opens the door to Nirvana.

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock