FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Waterbury US Set. Jerk bitting.

<<

echoplot

Familiar Face

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:57 pm

Waterbury US Set. Jerk bitting.

Found this one floating around in my folks' garage on my last visit. Was working on mounts for my combo locks and caught this thing peering at me from inside a tool chest.
Definitely a little rusty, but it works well enough. My first thought was, "Dirty lock, might be a little challenging." Then I removed the key saw the narrow keyway and the bitting some jerk gave it. I thought, "Ooh, now this could definitely be interesting!"
The keyway was probably the most challenging obstacle. I had to use the one wrench in my kit that I absolutely hate. I use Southord slimlines, and even then only my smallest hook would fit. I figured that might make avoiding an overlift of the front pins rather difficult; but as it turns out, not so much. It ended up being somewhat anticlimactic in the end, but it's still a neat little lock, and the only one I currently have with that sort of keying.

Kind of curious if any of you folks have run into other Waterbury padlocks with this sort of bitting.

lock-1.JPG

lock-2.jpeg

lock-3.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Waterbury US Set. Jerk bitting.

I have one Waterbury. It has a VERY small keyway. I didn't take pictures of the keyway unfortunately. I had to use a very slim hook to even get in there and the bitting was horrible. It was max depth in the very center and back two pins were very high.

DSC07405.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:51 pm

Have one as well. The keyway is very tiny. Mine came without a key, so impressioned one. Hard to do with six tiny brass pins so close together. The hard part was that the previous person had tried impressioning a key - and left the broken part still in the lock. :-)

Correct me if I am wrong... looking at this on a phone. Your pictures with the key looks as if it has incremental steps on the bitting. Like you could take a straight tool and line up the bits and pins.

Congrats on a very nice lock. :-)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

echoplot

Familiar Face

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:22 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Have one as well. The keyway is very tiny. Mine came without a key, so impressioned one. Hard to do with six tiny brass pins so close together. The hard part was that the previous person had tried impressioning a key - and left the broken part still in the lock. :-)

Correct me if I am wrong... looking at this on a phone. Your pictures with the key looks as if it has incremental steps on the bitting. Like you could take a straight tool and line up the bits and pins.

Congrats on a very nice lock. :-)

Gordon

Yep, it's mostly incremental, except maybe two cuts nearest the shoulder that look like they're pretty close if not matched in depth. Hard to say for sure without a micrometer, but they're definitely not equally stepped like the rest. If they were though, I'd say that straight tool idea would be great, except it looks like the key wards might make it impossible to reach the correct angle. (Unless maybe you used something shaped sort of like a square root symbol.)
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:25 pm

Great pickin' Echo! And NICE garage find :D

Waterbury's are actually really neat locks! I wish I had more than just these couple.
Really small, thin, tight keyways force you to work off the ward on the left. Couple that
with some extreme high/low bittings, and ya got yourself a nice little battle on your hands.

The only pick I've found to be effective with the couple I have is my homemade shallow deforest pick.
Keyways are identical, except the US (left) keyway is slightly smaller (you can't really tell from the pic).

The Waterbury on the right feels like all standard pins. However, with the US Waterbury, I'm pretty sure I felt
serrated drivers (and maybe even spools). If you have one of the US Waterburys, I'd love to hear what ya think.

p.s. Glad to hear you're still on your quest to start manipulating.
Mounting the lock is the first hurdle. Hope to see some pictures.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

zazoola

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:55 pm

Wow nice job! You've inspired me to start working on the old Hercule again. :mrgreen:
So there ye are in the pub,
Completely engulfed in flames,
And yer good wife’s dashing home,
Tae lodge insurance claims.
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:35 am

these sort of things make you start by producing a pick to scale for the lock.

very suprised that some have got them open with commercial picks.

on the plus side, very small picks are easy to make, you find the right tiny material, usually flat spring steel and there is not much to cut away and not much to polish.
<<

DR2

Familiar Face

Post Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:55 pm

I have a couple/few Eagle Padlocks that are marked U.S., for footlockers, lockers, armory racks, or any application, and they are a total pain in the brain to pick. In years past I would use LAB turning tools and sometimes a LAB pick when a Rytan Mini-Blue wouldn't cut it, but Rai is right, best to start bending, filing and sanding on your own tools for some of this stuff. Between XEO prodding me to use turning tools in the TOK and Rai being a continual influence, I have been making some specialized tools and actually getting some results, too.

Hard keyways man. The convoluted keyway and bitting is double-trouble. Some of these locks are basically unpickable in the field. You add in the elements, lack of or otherwise poor maintenance and twisted hand positions and we don't get the same results as holding in the hand or a vise, etc.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." ~ Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law of Prediction
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:34 am

When I was an 18yr old, I had a few handmade small length picks with me in army basic traing at Ft Campbell Ky,1967, opened a few footlockers when people lost keys, the footlockers were locked by cheap wafer locks from the PX,
the drill sergeants found out and one of them brought me into the orderly room, and handed me an eagle brass padlock stamped US. he told me to pick it and left me alone in there for the fifteen or twenty minutes it took to pick that bear. I can only think now that those handmade picks were probably just too large as I am now making things smaller and it appears to be more effective.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:50 am

Guess it is a good thing they were not using Medeco locks back then, though you'd probably have no problem with them now. :-D

Aside from an a$$ chewing, what else did the drill sargeants say... uhh... yell to/at you?

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:35 am

I believe my REESE US SET padlock is quite similar. Oldfast made a key for that one.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock