FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

3 pin Welch mortise cylinder

<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:05 pm

3 pin Welch mortise cylinder

Another lock saved by KP!
I got this lock a few weeks ago in an ebay lot. It is a 3 pin mortise, most likely for a wire cage door. I do not have any other Welch locks, so I had to keep it!

Naturally, there were no keys but I picked it open. Magician graciously sent me a couple WE1 blanks which were designed specifically for this lock (did not have to cut anything down!)
While talking in the chat, Selim assured me that Schlage depths were the same, so I was good to go.
I copied an SC1 precut onto my WE1 blank, and while it worked, the spacing was off. Consulting the depth and space PDF (also from magician), I noted that the first cut is .146 from the shoulder. I very carefully measured my blank and made a mark. Then I went to my key machine, lined the stylus up with the center of the first cut on the SC1 precut, and lined the blade up with my mark at .146.
I cut the key, and it came out perfectly!

Thanks again guys!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:31 am

Re: 3 pin Welch mortise cylinder

Awesome!
Nice work on making the key. I'm still filing down untill having an ugly key that barelly works :mrgreen:

Is the size of the lock like a regular mortise lock? I mean it's not as long as one, but the front of the lock is regular?
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:24 am

Nice work Jeff. I'd love to get a key machine someday... but I refuse to pay more than nothing for it. lol
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:14 am

Oldfast wrote:Nice work Jeff. I'd love to get a key machine someday... but I refuse to pay more than nothing for it. lol

Haha!

I'd pay 50 bucks for now!
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:45 pm

I did not measure the diameter of the cylinder but it looks about the same size. Use a standard plug follower (just under 1/2 inch)
I got my key machine for 40 bucks from a hardware store that closed. It cost me 25 bucks to get the wheel sharpened a year later...lol
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock