FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

MBTA railroad padlock

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:07 am

MBTA railroad padlock

Some time ago I got this nice and big padlock. It's very easy to pick: you only need a bent wire... it has one lever and some warding.

I was willing to make a key for it and finally got some brass to work with. I made a key blank by soldering a 6 mm tube and a flat piece as a flag. Then I filed it so it fits the keyway. Then I used a 5 cents coin as a temporary bow. I'm looking for some nice brass washers to make a proper key, but for now I use what I have. Then I'll clean the coin and put it back in my pocket.
I'll impression the key in the next days...

Cheers :-)
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:38 am

Re: MBTA railroad padlock

If you look at the older locksmith shops in town, some of them have the old bronze keyblanks, unfortunatly they are no longer cheap like they once were.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:36 am

Thanks rai, but buying the blank it's not as fun as making it ;-)

I was trying to get the first mark, and the blank broke :cry: I had to play with a wire for a few minutes to get the broken flag out of the lock. I must improve my soldering skills. The flux was still in the gap and the stain was just around the corners... I'll try to repair it and start again.

Cheers :)
<<

escher7

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:30 am

Brazing would be best, but if you use solder, heat the tube until the solder puddles on the tubing using lots of flux, and then attach the flag and clamp it quickly. Soldering around the edge will never work. Also, use a stronger solder like silver which takes more heat but won't break as easily. One way to heat the tubing is to place it on a stove burner until the solder melts.

Here is a link to a tutorial on how this guy makes his keys: ( I have seen a much more thorough tutorial from him, but I can't find it.

http://www.lockpicking101.com/viewtopic ... 8&start=15
http://www.lockpicking101.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48948
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:03 am

Thanks for the links, I know Lauren makes wonderful keys. He carve them from a block of brass, it's a nice idea but I don't have a drill press or a cross vice and cutters for the drill, so I can't try to replicate his process.

I'm sure that a properly soldered key will work... I have added some solder in the round groove I made on the flag where it contacts the tube. I'll put the flag in the vice, secure the tube against it with some steel wire and then heat everything with a propane torch. I'll keep you updated.

<<

escher7

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:45 am

femurat wrote:Thanks for the links, I know Lauren makes wonderful keys. He carve them from a block of brass, it's a nice idea but I don't have a drill press or a cross vice and cutters for the drill, so I can't try to replicate his process.

I'm sure that a properly soldered key will work... I have added some solder in the round groove I made on the flag where it contacts the tube. I'll put the flag in the vice, secure the tube against it with some steel wire and then heat everything with a propane torch. I'll keep you updated.

Careful the vice doesn't act as a heat sink and draw the heat away from your workpiece.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:03 am

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind :)
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:07 am

I cleaned and soldered the blank again. I started by putting some solder in the flag groove, then secured it in place with some metal wire and heated a lot. When the solder melted I added more solder on the sides and then let it cool. It took me 3 or 4 tries before getting it properly attached, but in the end I was happy with the result.

Finally I was able to start impressioning the blank, as you can see from the pictures above:
1 the blank before impressioning;
2 the blank smoked with a bic lighter;
3 after inserting and turning the blank I got the first mark, in the center of the flag;
4 after some impressions and filing the key opened the lock but was still a bit rough. You can see the big drag mark on the left and a little mark at the center;
5 the key works but it doesn't retract the right part of the locking mechanism, just the left one;
6 the key operates both left and right locking bolts.

I still need to clean the key and sand it smooth, post a picture of the finished key, will do after I switch that 5 cents coin with a brass washer.

Here you can see it in the lock. The key pushes up a lever on the back, this lever releases a spring loaded bolt on the left side of the shackle.
There's another bolt on the right side of the shackle that enters the same rectangular hole on the shackle, this is pushed right by the center part of the key. The shackle opens before this is all way to the right, that's why the key worked before I thought it was finished and went on filing. Hope this makes sense.
The key stops at 180 degrees, dunno if I still need to file or if it's how it works. If I remove the key the two bolts go back in the locked position. To close the shackle I need to insert the key and turn it 180 degrees, then close the shackle and keep it pushed down, then I can rotate the key back and extract it.

This is a simple but interesting padlock.

<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:25 am

Very nice!! I could see why you wouldn't spend the time on the finish until after you
have a working key, lol. If ya mess up the impressioning you'll have wasted all that time.

Working with metals, soldering, brazing, etc. will be entirely new to me whenever I get
into it. So I appreciate the sharing of your trials & errors... shortens my learning curve :)
Thanks for the update & pics on this..... I looooove lookin'.

p.s. I actually really like the look of that euro for the bow
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock