FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

ABLOY Disclock notes and pictures

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed May 15, 2013 2:09 pm

ABLOY Disclock notes and pictures

Assorted notes and pictures for ABLOY Disclock

Had to rekey a couple of ABLOY Disclock padlocks and a mortise cylinder in my collection because they had no keys. Thought I'd put together some information on these locks.

Note:I was first directed to Keypicking.com because of one of these locks. I had bought a Disclock deadbolt and needed someone who could rekey it. Now I can do it. Thank you to everybody here! I have learned a tremendous amount from you.

What a Disclock key looks like:

How to read the key. This is a gauge key. Read from tip to bow, viewed from the top. No cut is a "0". If the 'point' of the cut is aligned with the right side of the key, it is a "1". The progression continues until the 'point is aligned with the left side of the key, which is a "5". If the 'point' is right in the middle, it is a "3". If the key is cut all the way across, it is a "6".

These are the different discs. The "0" disc is a profile disc, and also drives the scrambler bars. There are two in this picture, because they come in copper or steel. Notice that all of the discs (except the "6") have two gates. That is because this was ABLOY's first commercial experiment in one key that turn two ways. So the gate would be in a different location depending on which way the key is being turned.

The discs can not be flipped over as in an ABLOY Classic. The discs have a center section that is pressed down (or up, if the disc is upside down). The top disc is a "1", while the lower disc is a "5". The cuts may look the same, but notice that the "5" is upside down.

There are also 2 types of spacers. One is the same from side to side. This spacer allows the plug to be turned in either direction, just like a pin tumbler lock. The second type has an extra notch on one side. This notch prevents the scrambler bar from moving on whichever side it is on. It is a one-way spacer. These are used in the ABLOY padlocks so the key can only turn in one direction.

This funky tool is pretty handy. Had to figure out what it did. Once I did, I always use it. Can you guess?

It holds together the disc stack for assembly an disassembly.

The two rods next to the plug are the scrambler bars.

Here you see the entire disc pack installed in the plug. At the bottom you can see the scrambler bars installed.

That about covers the notes this time around. Wizer, feel free to correct anything I have wrong. Hope this answers some questions some people may have.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

ARF-GEF

Post Wed May 15, 2013 2:18 pm

Re: ABLOY Disclock notes and pictures

It seems to me as a very good and useful guide Gordon! Congrats! :)
Where did you get the tool from?
I use a somewhat U shaped wire to hold them all together :)
Last edited by ARF-GEF on Wed May 15, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To infinity... and beyond!
=== WARNING DANGER OF TYPOS!===
Arfspeak: calnin cladycomes: you allow her key in themodning
Equals in plain English: cleaning lady comes: you allow her key in the morning
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed May 15, 2013 2:30 pm

Also, much of the info here directly applies to ABLOY's other two-way key system - Protec

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

ARF-GEF

Post Wed May 15, 2013 2:51 pm

Hmm I feel it's bit different from protec. Well all Abloys are more or less the same principle no doubt. So come to think about it you are basically right!
I would definitely say you are much more more right than wrong :)
And there is not too much difference between protec and this. One of the things from the top of my head is the seeming lack of disc block system. Protec has more than 1 sidebars. Sry that I don't say anything more concrete, I don't really have the time to dig into this right now :S
But bascically you can have a good read about them on toool.nl. Did you catch that one Gordon? I can only recommend it :)
But if I had to say sth closely related from the current ones I would say the newish Novel system.
To infinity... and beyond!
=== WARNING DANGER OF TYPOS!===
Arfspeak: calnin cladycomes: you allow her key in themodning
Equals in plain English: cleaning lady comes: you allow her key in the morning
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed May 15, 2013 3:31 pm

I would like to get my paws on a Novel padlock. Can't seem to find them here.

The Disclock Pro system (the updated version of the Disclock, but before Protec) does have the disc blocking mechanism. That is quite a nice feature, and reduces wear on the discs.

Not all Disclock things directly relate to Protec, but a lot of the major principles do. Have not torn down a Protec yet. Basing my ideas as to what technology transfers over from Han Fey's articles on ABLOY. I learned a great deal from those papers, including why the first time I rekeyed one, the darn key would not turn - AT ALL - once the scrambler bars were in place. The reason was in with small pile of spacers that I had acquired, there were three one-way spacers. I had unknowingly used all three, with one facing the opposite direction as the other two. That made, in effect, a no-way spacer! :oops:

The only Protec in my house is an ABLOY p330 padlock with a Protec 2 key that my son got for his birthday. I don't dare take it apart and risk messing it up! Someday when I get myself one, Oldfast will get his gut shots. ;-)

Gordon
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed May 15, 2013 4:47 pm

GREAT info Gordon! I'm not yet familiar AT ALL with any disc detainer locks (picking em', or otherwise)... so thanks.

GWiens2001 wrote:....Note:I was first directed to Keypicking.com because of one of these locks....
Well then... you must thank that lock for me, will you? :)

GWiens2001 wrote:The only Protec in my house is an ABLOY p330 padlock with a Protec 2 key that my son got for his birthday. I don't dare take it apart and risk messing it up! Someday when I get myself one, Oldfast will get his gut shots.
Until that day comes, the one's you've already provided will more than suffice to get my jollys on :wink: lol
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu May 16, 2013 1:15 am

Wow, I would have loved to have that disk stack tool when I was rekeying a bunch of protecs. Very cool.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Wizer

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 16, 2013 2:34 am

Nice pictures!
We have virtually no Disclocks here, the closest thing is Exec. I have wanted to compair the two.
Alltho they look similiar, the parts are all different.
Could You or someone else demonstrate Disclock Pro for comparison?
Thanks
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu May 16, 2013 6:39 am

Unfortunately, I don't have a Disclock Pro. The only one I had in my hands was one I rekeyed for a friend from Georgia. (Not the Georgia in the United States.)

Gordon
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Thu May 16, 2013 7:32 am

Usefull info thanks enjoyed the read, now where did you get that tool from :D saves dumping them of wire or string :agree:
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu May 16, 2013 8:22 am

The tool was in with assorted Disclock parts and discs that was given to me by a lockie who used to work ABLOY stuff, but has not had a single job for them in over 10 years. They were going to toss them until I spoke up.

There was also a follower tool, which is nothing more than a plastic key blade blank. It comes in handy, too.

Gordon
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Thu May 16, 2013 12:49 pm

What an excellent find.

Back when I needed to figure out how to rekey Abloy Disclocks I used a tiny (almost microscopic) dollop of Militec synthetic grease on each part to hold it together while reassembling since the grease was somewhat sticky. Worked very well and seemed to lubricate the lock nicely. Although I have no idea what effect that would have on the lock accumulating gunk after years of use on someone's front door.

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock