FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Lock pick handle material

<<

LockManipulator

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:03 am

Lock pick handle material

So i found this https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... le-plastic and it's basically plastic pellets that you put into hot water and it comes together into a solid piece of moldable plastic. When it cools down, it turns solid white and is a hard and durable plastic. Reusable as many times as you want, just drop it in hot water again. It seems like it would be great for pick handles especially since you can add various dyes and change the color. The only problem would be leaving it somewhere hot but the point at which it becomes soft is 140 degrees. Someone asked a question on the site about the material in direct sunlight and it seems that as long as you keep it out of direct sunlight in a hot car in the middle of summer then it's alright.

Question that was asked on the site:
I'm trying to make vane traps for sampling populations of bees. Does this plastic have a chemical odor, and what's its specific heat? I need to know if it will reach melting temperature in the sun.
Asked by Margaret Wallace on Jun 22, 2012

Hi Margaret, the plastic is classified as “odourless” on the MSDS. It has a melting temperature of 60-62 degrees Celsius. On a very, very hot day it might begin to get slightly tacky if left in direct sunlight too long, especially if its sitting on a surface that is getting baked by the heat.

What are your thoughts on this for making handles? I'm thinking about ordering some to put on my picks to try out.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:07 am

Re: Lock pick handle material

Looks to be pretty much the same stuff as this. http://www.instamorph.com/

Elbowmacaroni has worked with the stuff I linked so he should be able to give his experience with it.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

LockManipulator

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:11 am

<<

Violaetor

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:25 am

I think it should be fine for handle making, it looks like it would be rather slick feeling in the hand though. I would, however, keep those picks in the house, forget one in the truck and that would be an awful mess.
Looking to get something made? Send me a PM!
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:39 am

I can't speak on the other brands, but you could also take a look at SHAPE LOCK
I've used it for a variety of projects (including pick handles), and really like it.

I think polymorph has some wonderful potential for pick handles. The fact that it can be molded through its' different stages as it dries gives possibilties; pressing textures into it, or even holding the pick and squeezing it lightly would leave you with a personalized grip/shape. I also like that it can be machined after it cools. I've not explored this to great extent, but I have put it on a couple picks, one of which being my favorite hook (the white handled one out of the three)... viewtopic.php?p=58396#p58396 and it's lasted a long time and seen ALOT of use. I'll eventually revisit my 'polymorph pick handle project' to see if I can turn out something amazing rather than just functional.

Also worth mention; In terms of using this for pick handles... this stuff is not as easy to work with as you might be invisioning. It's not like clay or silly putty. Molding it and seating your pick solidly within it will require some trial & error. The good part is that it can be reheated and reshaped indefinitely.

If you by chance don't find it to be a preferable medium for pick handles,
you'll still be glad you have some. You WILL find uses for it over time.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

LockManipulator

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:25 am

Thanks! I'll look into it! My picks right now are just skinny with no handles so it hurts to keep picking for an extended period of time so anything is better than nothing lol
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:48 pm

cool stuff... thanks
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:11 pm

Daggers wrote:So i found this https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... le-plastic and it's basically plastic pellets that you put into hot water and it comes together into a solid piece of moldable plastic. When it cools down, it turns solid white and is a hard and durable plastic. Reusable as many times as you want, just drop it in hot water again. It seems like it would be great for pick handles especially since you can add various dyes and change the color. The only problem would be leaving it somewhere hot but the point at which it becomes soft is 140 degrees. Someone asked a question on the site about the material in direct sunlight and it seems that as long as you keep it out of direct sunlight in a hot car in the middle of summer then it's alright.

Question that was asked on the site:
I'm trying to make vane traps for sampling populations of bees. Does this plastic have a chemical odor, and what's its specific heat? I need to know if it will reach melting temperature in the sun.
Asked by Margaret Wallace on Jun 22, 2012

Hi Margaret, the plastic is classified as “odourless” on the MSDS. It has a melting temperature of 60-62 degrees Celsius. On a very, very hot day it might begin to get slightly tacky if left in direct sunlight too long, especially if its sitting on a surface that is getting baked by the heat.

What are your thoughts on this for making handles? I'm thinking about ordering some to put on my picks to try out.

Oh man, that stuff stinks to high heaven like a hot limburger and liverwurst blend! :shock: Nah, just kidding... no smell at all.

I will at some point use it to make some handles, so I guess the answer of suitability for at the very least attempting using it for handles is a resounding YES.

When heating it to be able to form it, it doesn't become liquid, just soft and malleable. If left on the dashboard during the summer in direct sunlight, it might deform, but you could easily shape it back too. I've brought it up to 200degF and it is still close to the same consistency as it is at 140degF but with more time for shaping and a bit softer. As far as the texture of it, it is mildly slick-ish when cooled. That could easily be overcome by either adding a texture pattern by pressing a loose weave fabric or steel mesh against it while still moldable or you could add some kind of fine material to it such as sand or something so that you can gain a better purchase on the handle.

As for mounting the pick within it, I would suggest either notching the handle side of the pick or drilling/punching a few holes through it. If making holes, the contact with itself through the holes should be good enough to secure it well; however, I would recommend placing some cut short pieces of roll pin or metal rod through to provide an even better hold on the handle.

As I also plan on trying it out myself for handles, I look forward to hearing about your experiences with it after giving it a go. Also, aside from making pick handles from it, it is an incredibly useful easy-form plastic with countless applications. The only limits being temperature and your imagination, and well, I guess extremely excessive force.

Hope this helps...

Elbow :akimbo:
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

LockManipulator

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:18 pm

thank you for your input, i will definitely order some soon and post up results on how it works for handles!
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 pm

:) Cool! I am waiting with baited breath for the results.

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

<<

LockManipulator

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:05 am

I just placed an order today for some Instamorph (I found out all of the different brands are the same thing, polycaprolactone thermoplastic, just different prices) so the results shouldn't be too long in waiting!
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:49 am

Daggers wrote:I just placed an order today for some Instamorph (I found out all of the different brands are the same thing, polycaprolactone thermoplastic, just different prices) so the results shouldn't be too long in waiting!

Yeah, they are all just low temp thermoplastics. Six of one eh... I personally have the instamorph and I like it quite a lot for everything I've used it for so far. I can tell already that I will be using it to make replacement parts for all kinds of stuff to in the future in addition to lock related activities. You will enjoy working with it I believe.

<<

LockManipulator

Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:29 am

So i got a little curious waiting for the instamorph and found this as another way to make plastic handles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sm6hAG-OpA

Basically, mix vinegar into HOT milk and you get something called casein. Strain it out and mold it into a handle then wait about 5 days for it to dry out! I think the video is by darkhorse since the youtube name is anotherdarkhorse but i don't know his youtube name so it could just be another darkhorse....(pun intended lol)

I tried this and put it on a pick and it is drying right now so i'll add the results of this to the instamorph results too!
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:45 am

Daggers wrote:So i got a little curious waiting for the instamorph and found this as another way to make plastic handles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sm6hAG-OpA

If you're still feeling experimental I've always wondered how this homemade plastic would work for a pick handle too.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Return to Home Brew