FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My homebrew pick complete

<<

the shepherd

Familiar Face

Post Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: My homebrew pick complete

femurat wrote:Not sure if mirror finish, or clear plastic pick!

Cheers :)

haha! thanks bud, my camera didnt focus to well on the blade end :smile:
aka theAshman02....
".....I DIDN'T GIVE UP ON THE LOCK, THE LOCK GAVE UP ON ME...."
<<

the shepherd

Familiar Face

Post Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:31 pm

awol70 wrote:
the shepherd wrote:
awol70 wrote:imitation is the sincerest form of flattery,and that is a very good imitation.
(i wouldnt trade my JR's for anything..)

wooo! nice one for that wiz buddy! i was trying sooo hard to get a genuine JR pick, but there not easy to come by! if u cant beat em join em eh?. (or at least try!) :smile:

you bet...( i recall it was damn near a year after i got started before i had even so much as HELD a manufactured pick.ive struggled to find picks that i can get on with, i will say tho after 3 months of picking i brought your wizwazzle sparrows set and still use today, and the tension wrenches are indispensible! thanks. :smile:
aka theAshman02....
<<

the shepherd

Familiar Face

Post Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:32 pm

jeffmoss26 wrote:That looks badass!

nice one buddy!
aka theAshman02....
<<

the shepherd

Familiar Face

Post Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:36 pm

Aedalas wrote:I just realized what I like so much about this pick. It's exactly like my last pick but with the materials reversed. :P

Well, that and you did a damn fine job on it.

wow thats very similar to mine! except better finish id say, love the idea of using brass for a blade, how do u get on with it? im sorry i didnt get what u meant by 'alloy' i never looked into what alloy the brass was, something im gonna learn about!
aka theAshman02....
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:59 pm

the shepherd wrote:
Aedalas wrote:I just realized what I like so much about this pick. It's exactly like my last pick but with the materials reversed. :P

wow thats very similar to mine! except better finish id say, love the idea of using brass for a blade, how do u get on with it? im sorry i didnt get what u meant by 'alloy' i never looked into what alloy the brass was, something im gonna learn about!
The reason I asked about the alloy is because I'm still looking for a good one myself. I've had a lot of experience with brass lately (look through my homebrew thread) and everything I've tried is either really hard and puts a hurting on my tools or way too soft and bends and scratches easy.

As for using brass for a pick, it works fairly well but I've been afraid to use anything but the very lightest touch I could. It does scratch easy, they're more of a show piece than anything. For the finish I sand 120 > 600 > 1000 > 2000 then finish with Blue Magic Polish. If I'm feeling real masochistic I'll go to 3000 grit but I've found it's pretty unnecessary if you plan on using polish.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

the shepherd

Familiar Face

Post Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:13 am

Aedalas wrote:
the shepherd wrote:

The reason I asked about the alloy is because I'm still looking for a good one myself. I've had a lot of experience with brass lately (look through my homebrew thread) and everything I've tried is either really hard and puts a hurting on my tools or way too soft and bends and scratches easy.

As for using brass for a pick, it works fairly well but I've been afraid to use anything but the very lightest touch I could. It does scratch easy, they're more of a show piece than anything. For the finish I sand 120 > 600 > 1000 > 2000 then finish with Blue Magic Polish. If I'm feeling real masochistic I'll go to 3000 grit but I've found it's pretty unnecessary if you plan on using polish.

cool thanks for the info in regards to polishing brass. I onlt went as far as 800 grit on the handle then used some metal polish to buff it a bit, it seemed to go silverey the more i sanded tho. As for a brass handle it feels great but obviously quite heavy (which i actually dont mind) i will be checking your work out on the homebrew thread buddy! :smile:
aka theAshman02....
Previous

Return to Home Brew