FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My current diy pick set

<<

clearmoon247

Familiar Face

Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Re: My current diy pick set

I don't doubt that at all, but I was getting supplies from the hardware store and picked up the dowel for $1.50, so I can't really complain. Soon I plan on investing in some more exotic woods and making quality handles, but, I want to refine my process a bit before I take my tools to quality material
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:19 am

what violator said about wood scraps, you need to look up cabinet makers in the phone book and then go look at the scraps they throw out, you will find hardwoods, maple and some more exotic cherrywood apple wood etc.
Of course guys like ratyoke probably find their exotic woods on some internet sites that sell to knifemakers and such.
knifemakers, that brings up bone and horn as well as carbon fiber...

you might also look at the companies that make plaques and trophys but thier scraps will be small.

typically the wood is blocked and then slit for the pick tang and in some cases it may have the pick mounted before the rounding and shapeing of the wood.
a narrow belted belt sander would work beautifully for handle makeing. you need a shop where you can make noise and dust
<<

clearmoon247

Familiar Face

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:17 am

absolutely, that is a good idea. I do eventually want to invest in a belt sander to help out with my pick production. As it stands right now, for $15 shipped, i can get a 10 3/4 x 3/4 x 6" cocobolo wood pen blanks. I think i will look for places locally as well, maybe find some good deals. Thank you all for the ideas and support.
<<

clearmoon247

Familiar Face

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:46 pm

So, we have a new update, just created a couple more picks for my template set.
May i present:
The king and queen pick
The half diamond
The capped hook
The Gem hook
and lastly, The DCAP hook
Previous

Return to Home Brew