FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Question about pick handles

<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Question about pick handles

I don't want to derail this thread, although this really isn't off topic... but

Another thing that appeals to me is the way in which SouthOrd attaches they're metal handles on either side of the pick. It seems very simple. Is this like a 'spot weld' or what? Pardon my ignorance, but I like this option but haven't a clue how it's done or what it's called. As you can see, I'm completely clueless when it comes to metal work and welding and shit. lol

EDIT: On second thought. As I look at your very specific question you started this thread off with Clearmoon...
I am off topic. The answer to my question won't serve your purpose in any way. lol. Sorry.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Violaetor

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:20 pm

I don't own southords with handles, but that is definitely spot welded. As for doing that at home, I think the smallest and cheapest ones are the size of large bandsaws and probably a few hundred dollars... and just guessing, would probably need a 240v dedicated circuit.
Looking to get something made? Send me a PM!
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:23 pm

Oldfast wrote:Another thing that appeals to me is the way in which SouthOrd attaches they're metal handles on either side of the pick. It seems very simple. Is this like a 'spot weld' or what?

AFAIK the laminated handles are attached with a spot welder (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spot_welding). In summary, the spot welder compresses the sheet metal with its electrodes then the electrodes discharge a current which causes the metal to melt (in a small spot, hence the name) thereby fusing the sheets. Spot welders are used extensively in industry but you can get smaller units for the home workshop eg. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-Portable-240V-Spot-Welder-2-FREE-Replacement-Tips-/200824896978.
<<

clearmoon247

Familiar Face

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:24 pm

That is a lot of good info guys, i think for the first few rounds, i am going to use brass bar stock, but may move to rivets in the future. Thanks josh66, i was thinking of 3/32" already, so I'm glad we're on the same page on this one. I'll be posting progress pics of how this goes once i get all the tools and supplies i need to make some new picks.

Oldfast: I will find a link shortly that has a way that you can do that type of welding at home for <$40

it will be slightly more than $40, but is a great DIY method
http://www.instructables.com/id/Spot-We ... /?ALLSTEPS
<<

Oldfast

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:27 pm

Hmm. Well I don't see that happening anytime soon then...lol.. but good to know.
I still like this idea though, and may someday invest in something like that.

Much appreciated. Thanks guys.

EDIT: Wow Clearmoon! That's certainly some food for thought. Thanks
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

clearmoon247

Familiar Face

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:35 pm

Id say $50 in supplies is a lot better than $300+
<<

ratyoke

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:49 am

clearmoon247 wrote: Also, does anyone know what Ratyoke used to cut the slot for this pick:

I use a slitting saw on a small milling machine to cut the slots in the wood handles.
<<

clearmoon247

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:13 pm

So, i have a few pick handles shaped and a slot cut for the tang of the pick. My question now is how would i go about putting the epoxy into the slit so that it can secure the pick to the handle? The handle is a single piece with a slot cut into the back of it, and a 3/32" thick pick fits in snug like a bug in a rug. I can add pics in a few, if need-be, but i want the handles to have a good reveal fully completed if possible.
Previous

Return to Home Brew