FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Question about pick handles

<<

clearmoon247

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:43 am

Question about pick handles

So, i have officially gotten the taste for making picks with fancier handles than before, to venture off to new mediums, such as wood, aluminum, etc.
Ive been looking over the awesome handles from such artists as Ratyoke, Josh66, and many many others. I was wondering what exactly you use to fasten the handles to the picks? Also, does anyone know what Ratyoke used to cut the slot for this pick:
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:50 am

Re: Question about pick handles

A coping saw would work for that slot. I think he was a jewler so he would likely have a variety of small, precision tools. For attaching handles you can use an epoxy and/or rivets. I think Vio made a post outlining his process that you might want to read. Here is the link.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

Josh66

Post Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:06 pm

I rivet my handles on. I use countersunk rivets, and countersink the tail side too - then sand it all flush. I try to use rivets of the same alloy as the material - if you don't, they'll be a slightly different color than the handle and you'll be able to see them easily.
<<

Josh66

Post Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:12 pm

It's missing a few pictures, but I have a sort of how-to on LP101.
http://www.lockpicking101.com/viewtopic ... 15#p404812
<<

Alaphablue

The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!

Post Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:59 pm

I just drill holes and peen brass rod to hold handles on . You should look up canvas or Jean material soaked in marine fiberglass resin it makes a great strong handle material I have great results from it.
<<

clearmoon247

Familiar Face

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:46 am

So, alaphablue, what size (diameter) is the brass rod you use? I plan on using that, as it seems to be the simplest answer to work with and secure the picks to wood handles. Eventually, i may move to rivets, but for now, brass. Any tips you can give when it comes to peening the brass?
<<

Violaetor

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:57 am

Peening brass rod is real riveting (not sure if that pun is intended yet), just take your time. If you rush it, the wood will let you know.
Looking to get something made? Send me a PM!
<<

Alaphablue

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:24 pm

Violaetor is right it is riveting but most people think of compression rivets when you say rivets . The size is is not that important you need a ball peen hammer . I cut the pins with a couple millimeters extra on each end cement pins in place when cement is hard I lay it on my anvil and slowly tap in a circular motion around the out side edge and work my way in. When it mushrooms enough to stay on I flip it over and start the outer side . When finished file flat and sand . Hope this helps
<<

clearmoon247

Familiar Face

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:38 pm

That is really good info, thanks violaetor and alphablue! Only question i have left is what diameter brass rod do you use for your pins?
<<

Alaphablue

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:21 pm

I like big handles so I use 1/4 inch so after I file and sand I can letter stamp my initials on the pins .
<<

clearmoon247

Familiar Face

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:16 pm

well, considering that the metal i use is 1/4" wide, not sure it would work out for me, but i can find one that will work.
<<

Josh66

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:32 pm

They do make brass rivets... That would allow you to have a large enough head to engrave, with a smaller shank.

We never use brass rivets at work, but they do exist... Not sure if it would be worth it to buy them. Rivets are generally dirt cheap, but the price goes up a lot for small quantities... We usually order them by the pound...
(The size rivets I use for picks, theres gotta be a few thousand of them in a pound... So the per rivet cost is almost nothing - when you buy in bulk.)

For a 1/4" wide pick shaft, I would drill a hole no larger than 1/8", preferably 3/32" in it, personally...
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:38 pm

I've not settled on a particular way of creating handles, nor have I made many of my own picks just yet.
So I always enjoy hearing about different options. And man, have we ever got some wonderfully talented
craftsmen around here. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. This idea of 'true' rivets really appeals to me.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Josh66

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:53 pm

Oldfast wrote:This idea of 'true' rivets really appeals to me.

I got it, but I shoot rivets every day...

When I hear "rivet", this is what I think of:
(That is a MS20426E3-7, BTW.)

Using brass bar stock as rivets is nothing new, but it's not exactly what comes to mind when I think of riveting something together...
<<

Alaphablue

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:09 pm

A good place to get pin stock that every town has is a welding supply store. They have brass brazing rods , stainless steel rods for welding stainless and heavy silver wire for silver soldering . Just thought it might be helpful if you guys couldn't find stock . I get tons of 1/4 copper at the junk yard it makes nice red pins. I made a jig for starting peened rivets using 2 heavy 3inch wide peices of L bracket steel with matching grooves of different sizes . You put the 2 pieces in a vice and the pin in the slot and tighten it down with the pin sticking up enough to tap out a nice rivet head.
Next

Return to Home Brew