FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Usefulness of making tools?

<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:12 pm

Re: Usefulness of making tools?

Jack, I don't think anyone is making judgements here. But do this for us, try a slightly better pick than you've been using. Order a couple say from Clifflock Picks or Petersen ( look for what strikes a chord with you ). Then you'll have a little better comparison to custom, and upgrade your set at the same time! They cost a few bucks because they're worth it. You will break the picks you have if you continue to pick, it's the nature of the beast. Better steel means more longevity, more production means less cost. Happy Picking Brother!
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

cyrano138

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:19 pm

I'll do it. I didn't really like the Peterson's (better feedback but less maneuverability in tight keyways than the Southord slimline) so I'll have to give Clifflock picks a try when I get a little spare cash. Thanks for the advice; I'll let you guys know how it goes!
"One cyrano video was all that I needed to cure my serratatosus."
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:29 pm

cyrano138 wrote:. . . I'm just curious to hear peoples' thoughts about homemade picks, particularly their motivation for making them . . .

The question you posed has certainly spawned some interesting & passionate responses. I've enjoyed reading em'.

Nice link Piotr. Hmmm... flow. I like that word. Instead of calling myself an obsessive, excessive, fanatical lunatic...
I think I'll call it flow from now on LOL. Outta the way f*@#%ers.... iiiiiiiiiiit's FLOW TIIIIME!! haha.

cyrano138 wrote:. . . but I just can't see spending all that time if there's no joy in the process for me . . .

If, after you've spent some time giving homebrews a try and you still feel this way... I'd say don't do it!
And don't beat yourself up over the fact that you don't. In this hobby of locks there are MANY facets; each is
an art in it's own right. Some of them I love, others I don't care for too much. Some I'm fairly good with, and
some I enjoy... but suck at lol. But what I do, I ENJOY.

A hobby to me should be an enjoyable, relaxing release from all the worldly shit we spend most of our time
doing, planning, and worrying about. It allows me to forget about all my upcoming responsibilities, obligations,
and commitments... even if just for a few hours. If something begins to feel more like work than play, then it's
probably become something other than a hobby. Great example: I can jam the ever-lovin-shit out of an acoutsic
guitar... but it began to feel like work. Hence, I've not touched it in years (despite people urging me to).

Might I suggest you consider modifying picks maybe? There's still a great deal of time involved, but not nearly as
much in comparison to working with raw materials. And, you'll still experience grinding, filing, sanding, making
handles, etc. This way you can find out if it's something you enjoy without the huge commitment of your time.

SouthOrd's great for this! In fact, I'm hoping to do a brief write-up on it... "Getting the most from SouthOrd"
They're really a decent company. Not the best, not the worst. Their pricing is low and the quality is fair.

Right: standard shorthook WITH a metal handle (in original state)... $4.29
Left: same standard shorthook WITHOUT handle (heavily modified)... $1.65

I've modified the shaft to my liking and put a handle on it. This pick will kickass for quite some time.
My time is free. Not sure how you'd calculate it, but even if I added a dollar or 2 to include plasti-dip,
sandpaper, and shipping... we're still looking at a $3-4 pick!

As far as actually making picks from raw materials. I've done a few from knives and wiper inserts.
I personally find enjoyment in doing so, and look foward to putting many MANY hours into eventually.

Jack, whatever you decide to do my friend... be sure it allows you to flow. lol
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

cyrano138

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:31 pm

Oldfast wrote:In this hobby of locks there are MANY facets; each is
an art in it's own right. Some of them I love, others I don't care for too much. Some I'm fairly good with, and
some I enjoy... but suck at lol. But what I do, I ENJOY.

This is why I always look forward to your posts, Oldfast. You seem like a genuinely positive person with a true 'live and let live' attitude. I think the above quote perfectly sums up how I feel. Looking forward to reading your article on re-fashioning picks. Thanks again for reading and responding. :)
"One cyrano video was all that I needed to cure my serratatosus."
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 pm

Hi Cyrano...

Well, When you come out of the gate making blanket statements running contrary to the thinking of many in your audience, you shouldn't be surprised that you'd wind up feeling like you were defending your decision. Especially when you go to great lengths to present your reasoning for why you believe it to not be a reasonable thing to do. Reasonableness is very subjective ;)

It is perfectly fine that you don't want to make your own picks. There are many valid reasons why people do so, those reasons apply to them and obviously, may not (or really in this case don't) apply to you. That is fine as well. If not for all the different people and different thinking, we'd still be banging bones on a monolith!

Personally, I enjoy creating things, whether they be picks or anything else. Craftsmanship is something that is very sadly dying on our modern age of pre-made run of the mill, perfectly identical things.

Also, it is not uncommon for people to find that a well made homebrew pick (not necessarily made by oneself) are much better with feedback and more comfortable, or just more pleasing to look at, etc.

Glad to hear that you've taken everyone's replies into your considerations of the matter, regardless of whether or not you decide that it is a good fit for you. It may very well never be a good fit, but at least you have more information to mull over in deciding.

-Elbow
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:07 pm

I'm willing to bet that there's an evolutionary psychologist or two with something to say about making your own tools. Since we've been doing it since we were dragging our knuckles on the ground, I reckon it generates the very same kind of satisfaction that lots of folks take from hunting. At one time, the ability to make a good tool was closely linked to the ability to provide for oneself and one's family.
Previous

Return to Home Brew