FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My new nemesis...

<<

cyrano138

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:37 pm

My new nemesis...

...in addition to my other nemeses, of course. I seem to be banging my head against the wall lately with Sargents. I have two from Jeffmoss. I've opened each once or twice but I just can't seem to crack these with any consistency. I can set a pin or two, but then nothing else seems to bind. I'm frustrated.

Anyone have any similar experiences?

It's worth noting, I think, for all the people asking about what locks are considered "the next step," and I was one of them, that locks with good tolerances get overlooked in favor of fancy mechanisms (sidebars, security pins, et al) and I think that's really an oversight.
"One cyrano video was all that I needed to cure my serratatosus."
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:45 pm

Re: My new nemesis...

If you're getting frustrated, then put the sargents down, and pick up a confidence lock(s) and pick that/them for a while to clear you head. Picking while frustrated will get you nowhere except bent tools...
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

cyrano138

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:53 pm

Oh I wish it were just a matter of putting it down and coming back to it. :)
This process of being stymied by these locks has been taking place over the course of several weeks. Thanks for the advice, though. I've had to remind myself many times during those several weeks to put them down and take a break or pick an easy one for a change.

Incidentally, I've had the same luck with a Yale cylinder I got recently.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:17 pm

For the individual pinstack picker, Sargent locks will "talk" to ou in their own, unique way. To get it down, go back to the basic technique of unpinning a cylinder and reloading them one pin chamber at a time, 'til you can get all 6.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

cyrano138

Post Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:50 pm

I've managed to learn what I know so far without resorting to the progressive pinning method. I don't know I don't want to. Just lazy I guess.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:24 pm

magician59 wrote:For the individual pinstack picker, Sargent locks will "talk" to ou in their own, unique way. To get it down, go back to the basic technique of unpinning a cylinder and reloading them one pin chamber at a time, 'til you can get all 6.
cyrano138 wrote:I've managed to learn what I know so far without resorting to the progressive pinning method. I don't know I don't want to. Just lazy I guess.

I know you don't want to hear it... lol... but I've got to go with Magician on this one. Really Jack, take the time... and you won't have to call the next one "your nemesis". I won't hesitate to do this ANY TIME. I want to know the absolute intricacies of it. All the subtle, minute telltale signs it offers that I may never pick up on unless I simplify it. I want to 'speak its' language' so thoroughly that next time I encounter that same brand I can slaughter it. Take the time Jack! lol
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

cyrano138

Post Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:32 pm

I know you guys are right. I'm just not that good at disassembling/reassembling locks. I'm always fumbling with springs and tweezers and forgetting which way some particular pin was facing when I took it out and which way it should go back in. I'll get over it.
<<

MortimerDuke

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:01 am

cyrano138 wrote:I've managed to learn what I know so far without resorting to the progressive pinning method. I don't know I don't want to. Just lazy I guess.

Not lazy, just self-confident/maybe arrogant. I say that, because I am the exact same way. If you're like me, the picking is the prize, handling tiny jumpy parts is just a chore.

HOWEVER...

I have started disassembling locks that give me problems. Without fail, provided I haven't screwed something up during re-assembly, I can pick them, at the very least, fairly easily afterward. And the more I do the take apart/put back together thing, the more I enjoy it.
<<

cyrano138

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:51 am

MortimerDuke wrote: the picking is the prize, handling tiny jumpy parts is just a chore.

Couldn't have said it better myself...:)
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:16 pm

I am the opposite. I suck at picking, but I love to gut locks and put them back together...lol
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

cyrano138

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:20 pm

jeffmoss26 wrote:I am the opposite. I suck at picking, but I love to gut locks and put them back together...lol

Well that explains how you could love Sargents so much. :)
Kidding of course. I actually meant to PM you to see if I can get some more of them from you.

Jack
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:33 pm

i love both picking and gutting and get as much pleasure from finding a flaw or weak spot in the design and manufacture of the locks.
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:13 pm

Could not resist

Where's Perry???
<<

cyrano138

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:44 pm

Awesome!