FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Picking Schlage I/C cores to control

<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Picking Schlage I/C cores to control

So we have a big job tomorrow rekeying a bunch of county buildings and they use Schlage I/C cores on most of what they have. They told us today that there are several that they do not have any keys for. I have tried bumping these things to control before and I've never been successful and picking them to control has not worked either. So talking with the guy at work this is what we came up with. I wish I could say I thought of it by myself but it was a team effort.

Schlage-Control-pick.jpg

What you see in the picture is a control key cut down to the lowest possible depth all the way down to the control space. Right behind the control space I cut the key in two. What you do is put the tip in, feed it with the other part which is the perfect length, remove the larger part and pick the lock as normal. It works very well in the shop and I am hoping that tomorrow it goes as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mdc5150 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:28 pm

Re: Picking Schlage I/C cores to control

Very good idea md,

I have made cut down blanks like that to pick C123's, but never thought of the control key thing.

I learned something today, now I can go to bed
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:52 pm

It should work ok. I'm not sure why you decided to make it two pieces...

Here is an old picture of what I have used in the past.

Also, not something you don't need right now. But solder can be added to the tip of any working key to pull the core out. (when the keys are restricted and you only have the one)

<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:11 pm

Farmerfreak wrote:It should work ok. I'm not sure why you decided to make it two pieces...

Here is an old picture of what I have used in the past.

Also, not something you don't need right now. But solder can be added to the tip of any working key to pull the core out. (when the keys are restricted and you only have the one)

I made it two pieces because I was afraid that if I cut away anymore at the key it would break off inside anyways. Also I wanted to have plenty of room to work in the keyway.
<<

.45cal

Global Moderator

Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:30 pm

Good idea especially if you have lots of them to do. If ever you come across on unexpectedly you can still get it out just as easy as picking it. Pick the lock normally, rotate 180 degrees then using a hook depress the control pin and turn.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:37 pm

.45cal wrote:Good idea especially if you have lots of them to do. If ever you come across on unexpectedly you can still get it out just as easy as picking it. Pick the lock normally, rotate 180 degrees then using a hook depress the control pin and turn.

I will keep that in mind. That would be great picking them out of a mortise cylinder.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:51 pm

Man I love this forum - the way we all think outside the box, and how
we all find slightly different ways of doin' shit. All great stuff guys!

Matt, I'm eager to hear how the big job turned out yesterday.

.45cal, grabbed a ticket to your show... didn't know you had one :/
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:14 pm

Oldfast wrote:Man I love this forum - the way we all think outside the box, and how
we all find slightly different ways of doin' shit. All great stuff guys!

Matt, I'm eager to hear how the big job turned out yesterday.

.45cal, grabbed a ticket to your show... didn't know you had one :/

It went long slow and boring. All I did was punch out keys and stamp them but at least it was in the air conditioning. It was slow and boring because it was a count job and everyone wanted to argue with how they though the doors should be rekeyed and how the keys should be assigned. (Not the county locksmiths, the employees. The employees there were all a bunch of babies) But we got to test out our Numberall stamping press, it was awesome being able to hand them clean keys clearly and professionally marked. Next week will be the bear as we travel down to the Lake Havasu area to do the county buildings down there.
<<

Oldfast

Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:13 pm

lol. hmmm. Indeed the customer can make or break a job sometimes. They can make if fun & gratifying
while other times they make it far worse than it has to be. I deal with MANY people all day - most of them
I find are very pleasant. I really enjoy meeting so many people from all over that do so many different things.

Unfortunetly, there's always a small handful of unreasonable folks. I've yet to understand this kind. lol
Throwing logic at them in a very calm manner only seems to enrage them all the more. LOL
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:09 am

Oldfast wrote:lol. hmmm. Indeed the customer can make or break a job sometimes. They can make if fun & gratifying
while other times they make it far worse than it has to be. I deal with MANY people all day - most of them
I find are very pleasant. I really enjoy meeting so many people from all over that do so many different things.

Unfortunetly, there's always a small handful of unreasonable folks. I've yet to understand this kind. lol
Throwing logic at them in a very calm manner only seems to enrage them all the more. LOL

Yeah well I was mostly insulated from those people. Since I'm not a county employee I have no business issuing keys so I let the county locksmith handle that part. The two guys from the county we worked with directly were great.

Return to Lock Picking