FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My latest homebrew

<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:48 am

My latest homebrew

Holy shit, solomon is posting. I know right.

So I was looking at pics of old picks in musems and shit, and thought "holy shit those are badass" and naturally I decided to make myself a set that looked all old and shit. Made a short hook, miniature half diamond, city rake and a straight pick with a thicker shaft for bypass. There's a good selection of wrenches, couple of warded picks and a dedicated wire + tension tool for disc detainers too :mrgreen:

Pics are massive so click here to see the full kit and here for a close-up of the main picks.

And here's a pic of the half diamond with some others for scale... I made it extra small so it can tackle padlocks with annoyingly small keyways but it'll still pick pretty much anything a standard size diamond can. Never made a HD before, surprised how well it turned out.

Pics are taken with my phone cos my camera is fucked. Well, specifically the LCD screen is fucked. Can't take pics worth a shit, they just come out black or out of focus cos I can't see any of the friggin settings. Can still take video though so I'm thinking about doing a quick vid, hung over as auld fuck today but I'm considering it cos boredom.
<<

Josh66

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:36 am

Re: My latest homebrew

What is the straight one (#4 from the left) used for? I see these in a lot of people's kits, and haven't quite figured out what they're for...
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:56 am

Josh66 wrote:What is the straight one (#4 from the left) used for? I see these in a lot of people's kits, and haven't quite figured out what they're for...
I'm not sure about the others, but I have one I made specifically for a KABA 8 (that I still haven't managed to pick).

Straight pick.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:03 pm

A very compact, effecient set that should open a wide array of locks (especially in your hands) lol

Built for nothing but poppin' locks... nothin' to do with beauty. Though they're beautiful in their own right.

I LOVE IT!! Very nice work.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:09 pm

Oldfast wrote:Built for nothing but poppin' locks... nothin' to do with beauty. Though they're beautiful in their own right.
Form follows function, the way it should be in my opinion. What I really, really like are tools that work. I'm a bit Ayn Rand-ian sometimes though.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:59 pm

very nice as alway's sol.

hacksaw blades ??
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:48 pm

Just beautiful!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:24 am

Josh66 wrote:What is the straight one (#4 from the left) used for? I see these in a lot of people's kits, and haven't quite figured out what they're for...

It's for bypass, mainly for locking dogs in cheap padlocks but it'll pop a 175 aswell. I could just use a hook or half diamond but it can put a lot of stress on the pick so I prefer to have something set aside just for it.

selim wrote:very nice as alway's sol.

hacksaw blades ??

Of course. Thin as anything and strong as fuck. Love em :mrgreen:
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:12 pm

A man after my own heart , making shit that works !
Hacksaw blades are hard work , would you like a bunch of sweeper bristles Solomon ?
they're a lot easier to work with mate , pm me if you want to try them .
Open Sez Me !
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:15 pm

I could say I'm more about function than form but really I'm just too lazy to put hours into each individual pick lol. I actually do wanna make a short hook with riveted handles at some point though.

How wide are the bristles? I've heard good things about them but never gotten my hands on any, I like hacksaw blades because there's a lot of material left over to keep as a handle. They're really no trouble to work with, I just cut out a rough blank with a thin cut-off wheel then grind it down from there, doesn't take too long tbh. It'd be cool to try a few out though just to see though, can they be bent without heating or would they just snap? I'm thinking at the very least they'd make great wrenches. Cheers for the offer :D
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:56 am

Bristles are good for making picks, they are extremely tough. The only thing they aren't good for is deep curves because they aren't wide enough. Bristles are much less brittle than hacksaw blades, they are intended to experience lots of flex in use. The only problem with bristles is -- as you mentioned -- handles. I'm a big fan of polymer clay but there are other options such as cord-wrap, wire-wrap, sandwiched between hacksaw blades with glue and heatshrink wrapped etc.

What I like about your homebrew kit and others' is that it shows that you can make a fully functional pin-tumbler and wafer picks from readily available material. It gives the :fu: to those online merchants that look down their noses at hobbyists and competitive lock pickers.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:57 am

Sounds good! I'm sure I could wangle some kind of handles for em. And yeah, fuck those guys. It's 2012 and we have the internets. Get with the times bitches :fu:
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:30 am

Just a thought, you could do your warded padlock picks on one piece and have a double ender. Great looking craftsmanship and the old world look.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:57 am

jailersmith wrote:Just a thought, you could do your warded padlock picks on one piece and have a double ender. Great looking craftsmanship and the old world look.

Thanks man, I thought I was the only one who liked the look of old stuff this much lol. You know, I was actually thinking that when I was making them and decided against it. Dunno why.
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:13 pm

Solomon , pm me an address and i'll post you some bristles mate , i'm doing a postal run this weekend , they're 3 mm wide and soft enough to hand file , but flexible
enough to take a bit of a beating !
Open Sez Me !
Next

Return to Home Brew