FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

question about tools

<<

srbinkalot8275

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:35 pm

question about tools

I have a question about home brew pick tools. I have a dremel, but i don't know what attachments ill need for it. I have a bench grinder as well. I am looking into a hobby sized file set too, and what grit sand paper do i use to polish it up.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: question about tools

I have never made my own picks but I have sanded and polished all of the factory made ones I own.
I used 220, 400, 600, and 1500 black oxide wet/dry sandpaper. Then I polished them with Blue Magic. Kokomolock has a great polishing video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yg7Yx98 ... HmaGFLM%3D
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:08 pm

srbinkalot8275 wrote:I have a question about home brew pick tools. I have a dremel, but i don't know what attachments ill need for it. I have a bench grinder as well. I am looking into a hobby sized file set too, and what grit sand paper do i use to polish it up.

Various Dremel bits are handy (none are necessary ofc), I mostly use a small grinding stone, medium size grinding stone, sanding drum, a second sanding drum that I glue 1000 grit paper to and a polishing wheel.

For files a round file is good for shaping the inside curve of hooks and you will need a flat file. Grinders are great for rough shaping but they are round and that makes it hard to get a straight edge. On a hook, for instance, I'll start by filing straight down with a round file (the corner of a flat file works good for a starter notch here) until I reach desired depth. From there I will use a grinding wheel attachment on the Dremel to thin down the shaft, stopping just a hair larger than I want it. I'll then use a flat file to shape the outside edge of my hook and straighten up the shaft. Basically anywhere you use a grinder you'll want to use a file afterwards.

I'd also recommend you get some chopsticks and/or popsicle sticks for sanding. You wrap the stick with the paper and hold it in place with a rubber band usually, I use small scraps of heat shrink tubing for mine. Much better control for sanding bevels and in the nooks and crannys.

Oh, you'll also need a cup or bowl for quenching. Make sure you can fit every part of your pick in it before you start, I didn't do this at first and almost ruined a pick shaft.

Also I'd suggest a bench pin, I have a couple posts talking about mine here. And here is a video showing the usefulness of one (and a master craftsman at work making his signature pick).

Guess that is a decent start, if you have any more questions just ask.
Last edited by Aedalas on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:08 am

This discussion should probably be in the "Home Brew" section. If it gets moved there I'll be happy to make a post.
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:11 am

Aedalas wrote:Oh, you'll also need a cup or bowel for quenching. Make sure you can fit every part of your pick in it before you start, I didn't do this at first and almost ruined a pick shaft.

Yes, inserting your pick into your bowel is not a good idea. :smile:
<<

mech

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:08 am

Tungsten carbide and diamond coated cutters eat thru wiper blades and the likes in seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/duction
www.Lockpick.co
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:22 am

Typo fixed, thanks.

Also, don't see how being in the wrong sub-forum really hurts anything. Seems like a petty reason to refuse help.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
<<

gnarus8429

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:47 am

I use a reinforced cutting wheel on a dremel. It makes cutting complex shapes like Bogotas muck easier. I also use a device to hold my dremel in place so I can move the steel over it rather than the tool over the steel. As of late I have been using it at a much lower RPM. It reduces heat and keeps me from screwing up a piece that I have spent time on, fast is not always better. I use a bench grinder to grind off larger amounts of metal. Like the earlier post said quench often because if your metal turns colors (brown/blue) you have lost the temper in it. If you are looking for some stock to start out with I have a crap load of unused street sweeper bristles. These are great for starting out. Just PM me and we can work something out if your interested.
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
-Albert Einstein
<<

srbinkalot8275

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:49 am

Thank you everybody, for helping me with my question. I have alot to learn about this fourm sorry for putting it in the wrong area. :shock:
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:23 am

Hi and welcome to the forum,if you have access to a printer you can find the pick templates COPY AND CUT,them out and stick them to your metal of choice.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:47 am

Most important thing i forgot to mention always put your eye protection on, glasses,goggles bits tend to love your eyes for some reason.
Alot of guys on here,myself included have been caught out more than a few times. ITS DAMN PAINFULL being sat while a doctor pulls a lump of metal out of your eye is not fun i can tell you.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:57 am

10ringo10 wrote:Most important thing i forgot to mention always put your eye protection on, glasses,goggles bits tend to love your eyes for some reason.
Alot of guys on here,myself included have been caught out more than a few times. ITS DAMN PAINFULL being sat while a doctor pulls a lump of metal out of your eye is not fun i can tell you.

This is something that is often overlooked when working at home but Ringo is absolutely correct. You don't get workmans comp being stupid at home.
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:17 pm

gnarus8429 wrote:I also use a device to hold my dremel in place so I can move the steel over it rather than the tool over the steel.
Homebrew or store bought? Might be handy, but I'd hate to pay for something that I know I can make. Never seen a homebrew version though and could use some ideas.
gnarus8429 wrote: As of late I have been using it at a much lower RPM.
Good call, I do this as well but forgot to mention it.
<<

srbinkalot8275

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:33 pm

Very helpfull guys. ill be going to the home depot this weekend to put up the rest of what i need to get started. I have a drain snake. I hope the metal works out. You guys are great, and very helpful i hope oneday i can help someone like you have helped me! :D
<<

srbinkalot8275

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:38 pm

pm sent gnarus8429. Thank you
Next

Return to Home Brew