FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Creating a new Lockpick company...

<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:45 pm

Re: Creating a new Lockpick company...

This is interesting for sure!!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

firstbiggestmost

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:02 pm

Awesome work lsa. I will definitely try some out. Is a long reach pick one of the 10?
What man has done, man can do.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:08 pm

the picks are:

1 Short Hook
2 Capped Hook (gem)
3 Half Diamond
4 S Rake
5 Ball
6 Offset Diamond
7 City Rake
8 Curve (Falle)
9 Feeler (hook with a dimple on the tip)
10 Double Peak Rake (double bogota)

There is always room for more in the line... but this is what ive got so far... well start with that ;)
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

Violaetor

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:15 pm

Is #4 supposed to be a 'C' rake? I think the double peak bogota and an 'S' rake are similar, unless the image of the bogota is wrong in my head.

Are you going to include wrenches as well, or assume that people buying your sets already have an assortment?
Looking to get something made? Send me a PM!
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:27 pm

i dont think ive ever seen a lockpick that looks like a C... and i dont think a bogota looks like an S either... double peak as in ^^ possibly an M rake?!? S rake as in the shape of an S sideways or possibly Snake rake... deffinately not a C on a stick....

tensor metal is being sourced. initial sales will be of picks only. that is why I cannot sell pick sets yet because I have not gotten the tensor metal slit yet... but the contract is still open for that... its coming.

pick sets have been designed but wont be sold untill i get tensors... and the prices of the sets may change once I get some cases made...

one step at a time...
<<

ahab

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:39 pm

sign me up for a set of 10. let me know when you want the money.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:46 pm

Seems like the people with the metal say they "misquoted" me... put a decimal in the wrong place... they are allowing me to get 1 sheet cut at the quoted price so prototypes are still on schedual... I dont really know what is going to happen after that... I will keep you posted.

my some quick calculator punching it should still be possible... may raise the price a lil bit overall but should still be under my goal...
<<

Foo

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:10 pm

If I can spare 35 bucks to kickstarer for picks that never materialize I'm sure I can scrounge up the cash for your picks.
It's a hard luck life for us pick hoes.
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:06 am

LocksmithArmy wrote:the full line is 10 picks, im considering giving a special double sided pick for those who purchase the full line of picks...
that is all for now...

LSA, please put me down for 1 x full set.

o and just for posterity... by the time i get the prototypes... ill have spend less than $150 on the entire business... far less than $87,000 ;)

He actually has -- or at least had -- more than US$87,000. The $87,407 was what he initially raised via Kickstarter. A year (IIRC) after the Kickstarter fund-drive closed Mr Towne set-up openlocksport.com and began taking orders as part of a second "pre-sale". Reserving your set of picks entailed making payment to Mr Town via WePay.com. So in addition to the US$87,407 he raised via Kickstarter he also raised an undisclosed amount by taking advanced orders:

This is a pre-sale! You can follow the production of the picks on the Kickstarter project page. Picks purchased via Kickstarter will ship first, immediately followed by the limited number of sets I will make available during this sale. Please do not purchase these tools if you are not comfortable with waiting.
(Source: https://openlocksport.com/olsinventory/)

This move made me suspicious because US$87K should have been sufficient to produce the pick sets for the Kickstarter backers and to also produce a surplus inventory for the initially proposed self-sustaining business:

I'm running this as a pre-sale to get the company started. The money you provide will net you the first run of these awesome tools and the profits will roll right back into the company allowing it to be self sustaining.
(Source: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/schuyler/lockpicks-by-open-locksport)

However, what appears to have happened is that Mr Towne burnt most of the US$87K he raised via Kickstarter on personal indulgence that was entirely unrelated to the project for which the funds were ostensibly raised. The second "pre-sale" via openlocksport.com served to provide more funds for the completion of the project and for living expenses and personal indulgence.

The quantity and status of the funds collected by Mr Towne via WePay.com are unknown. The fulfillment of the orders from the second "pre-sale" are more at risk than those from the first, namely those associated with Kickstarter.

So, all-in-all, this represents a monumental fuck-up on the part of Mr Towne and a huge fuck in the arse -- whether as a result of incompetence or fraud, I don't know -- of the lockpicking community.
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:45 pm

Go for it buddy - i will be more than happy to help you supply
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:06 am

UPDATE:
I sourced tensors... they are being cut into slits as we speak... I shall be bending them on my own per order...

the picks are being cut aswell...

getting closer to production...

thanks guys
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:18 am

Exciting!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

cocolitos

Familiar Face

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:02 pm

I am interested with a set of 10 pieces...send me a PM when you 'll pay !! :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrCocolitos?feature=mhee
<<

mech

Familiar Face

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:28 pm

id take a full set or pre production set etc, pm me
http://www.youtube.com/duction
www.Lockpick.co
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Lol I'm not going to be pming everyone... just keep an eye on this thread. I will be announcing the presale when I get the prototypes tested and am satisfid with theproduct.

I will be posting a link to the website where they can b ordered aswell as the presale discount code.
PreviousNext

Return to Random Banter