FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Lazer Cutting

<<

Nickinator

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:32 pm

Lazer Cutting

Hey guys,
I've got a friend with a Lazer Cutter and I'm considering getting him to cut me some picks, I've currently got a Goso 23 piece set, but I read a review of them on LocksmithArmy's website and I've been contemplating getting a new set.
So a few things to ask,
What metal to get them cut out of?
What templates?
Anyone tried this before?
How important are the handles? I would've thought they would impair ability to feel the pins as much.

I paid $35 ish for my Goso set, yes it's good, but it's really just some cut metal with plastic handles in a generic makeup case.
If all goes well I might get a few extras made up, but I really don't want to sell picks as I don't want to be providing just anyone on the net,
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:56 am

Re: Lazer Cutting

Nickinator wrote:What metal to get them cut out of?

Feeler gauge stock such as ShopAid or Starret (which you will have to order from the USA, I don't know anyone in Australia that stocks any feeler gauage stock). If you can find AISI 1095 that is around 0.6mm thick that will be fine (and let me know where you found it in Australia).

What templates?

Schuyler's openlocksport templates should be ok as would Romstar's templates. A good set to reproduce would be the Falle-Safe basic pick set as that design doesn't require handles but there is no complete set of templates for these picks (AFAIK). I have a partial template set that includes five of the most useful picks (it would take me too long to produce templates for the whole set) that I can supply you.

Anyone tried this before?

Not that I know of as most people don't have access to a CNC laser cutter. There may be issues of loss of temper of the steel due to the heat from the laser, I don't know. If you destroy the temper of the steel it will become soft.

How important are the handles? I would've thought they would impair ability to feel the pins as much.

The importance of handles depends on the pick design. Some designs such as the original TOOOL set and the Falle-Safe basic pick set are just flat steel without any added handles and they work fine. Schuyler's and Romstar's picks will probably require handles.

I paid $35 ish for my Goso set, yes it's good, but it's really just some cut metal with plastic handles in a generic makeup case.
If all goes well I might get a few extras made up, but I really don't want to sell picks as I don't want to be providing just anyone on the net,

The members of this forum are "anyone on the net", you don't have to be a locksmith to join this forum. What do you fear will happen if you sell picks to "anyone on the net"? Having a set of lockpicks won't give you an automatic ability to pick locks, it takes lots of practice (as you probably already know). If a person is motivated enough to learn how to pick locks don't you think they would be motivated enough to make lockpicks if they can't buy them? Templates are freely available on the WWW, steel can be purchased on ebay and you can buy a Dremel from your local Bunnings. Almost anyone can make a crappy looking set of picks that is functional. There are many videos on YouTube showing how to make (awful looking) picks. Australian locksmiths are big on the idea of keeping lock picks out of the hands of non-locksmiths "for security reasons" but that is all a load of bollocks. Most burglars use destructive means of entry. The real reason why they want to keep locksmithing tools out of the hand's on non-locksmiths is to protect their (closed) industry. Don't believe the hype.
<<

Nickinator

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:37 am

Thanks for the advice, I've been doing a bit of Googling on the subject. I've tried 3 different models of picks, and I couldn't notice that much difference between each of them, the height of the rakes seemed to vary the speed at which I could open the locks, and the thickness had quite a bit to do with it.

I've heard that steak knives could do the trick, the metal they use is able to bend without snapping or deforming, the problems I see with that is that the handles would melt. Bit of a hack job, but could work out.

I'll ask the metallurgists who own the machine for their advice.

Would it be against the forum's rules to ask for scans of popular picks that I could then make into negatives?

My fear of selling the picks is not from what people will do with them, (although I've already been asked by some shall we say "people with less than good intentions" for gear and advice) but more the issues I could be faced with, lockpicking gear is illegal in many Australian states, and the law could come down hard on me. Depending on the price of the metal, it's not going to cost that much extra to get 100 made than it would to get 10 made. I'll send off some emails on Monday and see what I can find out.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:01 am

Nickinator wrote:
Would it be against the forum's rules to ask for scans of popular picks that I could then make into negatives?

This:
http://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&site=&source=hp&q=lock+pick+templates&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1

It's not against the rules, but it becomes a touchy issue regarding copyrighted material. Do a search here on the forum in the search box at the upper right and topics will show up with templates. Otherwise, google it and you'll find hundreds of templates.
<<

abroxis

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:09 pm

With a lazer cutter would you want basic templates or templates in CAD format?
<<

Nickinator

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:34 pm

I don't really know, I might look into it during the week, even so, it's converting basic shapes to CAD, it's not going to be that hard.
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:26 pm

Nickinator wrote:I've heard that steak knives could do the trick, the metal they use is able to bend without snapping or deforming, the problems I see with that is that the handles would melt. Bit of a hack job, but could work out.

If you are going to use steak knives cut or break off the handle material, you don't want it. It is far too bulky for a pick. Just use the blade and if possible the tang material.

My fear of selling the picks is not from what people will do with them, (although I've already been asked by some shall we say "people with less than good intentions" for gear and advice) but more the issues I could be faced with, lockpicking gear is illegal in many Australian states, and the law could come down hard on me. Depending on the price of the metal, it's not going to cost that much extra to get 100 made than it would to get 10 made. I'll send off some emails on Monday and see what I can find out.

As much as Australian locksmiths try and present themselves as a privilieged elite and as hostile as they are to the idea of non-locksmiths possessing locksmith tools, it is NOT illegal in most (all?) Australian states to possess and use lock manipulation tools. It is definitely not illegal to possess or use lock manipulation tools in the state of Victoria. In Victoria, for example, carriage of picks en route to the site of an intended burglary or larceny is an offence. In practice this law is not merely applied to locksmith tools exclusively but to any implement that could be deployed to gain illegal entry eg. pipe wrench, screw driver.

This is the relevant Victorian law:

Crimes Act 1958 - SECT 91
Going equipped for stealing etc.

91. Going equipped for stealing etc.

(1) A person shall be guilty of a summary offence if, when not at his place of
abode, he has with him any article for use in the course of or in connexion
with any burglary, theft or cheat.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable to level
7 imprisonment (2 years maximum).

(3) Where a person is charged with an offence under this section, proof that
he had with him any article made or adapted for use in committing a burglary,
theft or cheat shall be evidence that he had it with him for such use.

(4) On the conviction of a person for an offence under this section, the court
may order the article to be forfeited to the Crown and disposed of in the
manner set out in the order.

Source: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/ ... 2/s91.html

As you can see the Victorian law doesn't even specifically name locksmithing tool.

I tracked down the Queensland law for Datagram in anticipation of his (May) conference in that state and found that the law was similar to that in Victoria. Most Australian states have an "intent-based" law regarding lock manipulation tools i.e. mere possession and usage on your own locks is NOT prohibited.

This is the relevant Queensland law:

Summary Offences Bill 2004

Division 3 ­ Possession offences

Possession of implement in relation to particular offences
Clause 15 creates an offence for a person to possess an implement that has
been, is being, or is to be used for burglary of a dwelling, the unlawful
entry of a place, the unlawful entry of a motor vehicle with intent to
commit an indictable offence, stealing or unlawfully using a vehicle, to
unlawfully injure a person, or to unlawfully damage property.
A person possessing lock picks, an electronic car door lock scanner, or a
jemmy in other than easily explainable circumstances, e.g., a locksmith,
carpenter, or a person undertaking home renovations, may warrant the
suspicion of police that the person may intend to used the equipment for a
burglary or vehicle theft. Obviously, the suspicion held by police must be
reasonable and therefore will be dependent on the circumstances under
which the person is found with the items. For example, a person holding a
scanner while standing near a vehicle parked in a car park will raise
suspicion that the person intends to break into the vehicle.
A person who carries an iron bar beside the driver's seat of his or her
vehicle with the intent that it be used to assault another driver who may
annoy the person, will be guilty of an offence. Additionally, the clause will
apply to a member of a gang who carries an implement for the purposes of
using it to assault other persons. Clearly, the clause will also apply in
potential domestic violence or neighbourhood disputes. However, the
clause will not prevent a person having possession of an implement within
the person's home for the purposes of self defence during a burglary on that
home.

If the person has a legitimate reason for possessing these items, they may
easily explain this to police thus alleviating the need for any charge to be
laid. Additionally, subsection (2) provides a defence to a charge for the
person to prove that the person did not know the implement had been, or
was to be, used in an offence.

Source: http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinod ... 04199.html

Further, in Australia there is no federal prohibition or even restriction on the import or export of lock manipulation tools. Lock manipulation tools do not appear anywhere in the Customs Prohibited Imports Regulations: refer http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4369.asp

It is my understanding that at least one Australian locksmith organisation has been and continues to aggressively lobby government for strict state and federal laws regarding lock manipulation tools but this is yet to happen -- thankfully.

Austrlian locksmiths have been very successfully in spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) about lock manipulation tools amongst the general public and they have managed to keep them out of the hands of non-locksmiths by completely blocking non-locksmiths from purchasing them locally. The biggest locksmith supply company in Australian is the Locksmith Supply Company and they operate in such a closed fashion that they won't even sell graphite to a non-locksmith. If this occurred in relation to any other trade supply company (eg. plumbing) there would be protest. But because the locksmith trade has managed to convince the wider public that all aspects of locksmithing must be kept secret for the sake of security no one complains. Australian locksmiths and the LSC are really only protecting their own economic interest with this policy but they are disguising it as a concern for securing property and life. Locksmithing is the only trade that has managed to avoid the trend towards DIY. The last 10 years in Australia have seen an explosion of DIY and home renovation TV shows and the only aspect of DIY that has been untouched is physical security hardware. You can learn how to unblock a toilet and plumbing supply stores wwill sell you the equipment you need; you can learn how to hang a door and the hardware stores will sell you the equipment you need; you can paint your house and painter supply stores will sell you the equipment you need and so on. But can you learn to remove a broken key from a lock and buy the tools from an Australian locksmith supply company? NO and NO. Don't you think this is a bit odd? What is the security risk in selling non-locksmiths a broken key extractor?

Anyway enough said. Hopefully this is the necessary antidote to the bullshit spread by Australian locksmiths.
<<

Nickinator

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:58 pm

Thanks for the info, if I get them made up I'll sell a few to break even.

I've been looking at getting Spring Steel, it seems difficult to get unless I get truck springs and melt them down... What about using saw blades, according to one website I read some saws are made of Spring Steel or a variant of it, Spring Steel seems to be a term used to describe any type of metal that has elastic deformation, rather than a metal I can say "I need some of this". I've found some templates for the picks themselves too. I've also found scans of the Southord sets, I'm not sure if the shapes are copyrighted, but even so I won't post them here, I guess what I need to think about is will it be cost effective (possibly) and will the picks I end up producing be better than my current ones?

For a newbie lockpicker such as myself, I'm learning to pick locks, but I don't mind too much about speed or any of that Jazz as I can't compete with others etc, and I don't know how much of an impact another set of picks will have on my performance.

Return to Home Brew