FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Dual Rake with Custom Cocobolo Handle

<<

ChonkyTonks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:59 am

Dual Rake with Custom Cocobolo Handle

Hey all,

Here is a new pick that I made the other day. The handle was made from cocobolo wood and designed with ergonomics in mind. It is a good pick, but I need to make a few modifications to the handle design to improve the ergonomics. The cool thing is that this handle can accommodate a couple of different ways to hold the pick. I am pleased with the result and will be making a few more like this over the weekend. I will post the results.

Let me know what you think. People from lp101 will have likely already seen this.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:04 am

Re: Dual Rake with Custom Cocobolo Handle

i saw this on lp101. it looks very nice, if you start making several picks i may buy some off you ;)
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

WhitePicker

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:32 am

Also me :o i love woody XD (Also me = I also would want to buy one if you make more of em)
<<

ChonkyTonks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:41 am

Thanks for the props guys. I love making picks. I need to get some things worked out with the process as you can likely see that the metal needs some tlc due to dremel sanding. I will post pics of the new stuff I make and keep asking for your thoughts/comments. I have been making pics with a number of different kinds of exotic woods, but cocobolo is my absolute favorite. All you need to give it the shine is a good sanding and the oils from your hand. Should I get the kinks worked out with the sanding process, I will be happy to make you guys some picks. Also, if you wanted anything in particular (design, types of picks, wood type, etc), just let me know.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:44 am

you mentioned ur metal is dremil sanded... try giving it a shine like your wood...
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

ChonkyTonks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:51 am

Yeah, I dremel it to even out any nicks that occurred from sanding the wood handle. For example, I have a bench grinder that I use to get the rough shape of the handle. Since it is a bench grinder, I can tend to lose control of the pick when getting down to the smaller size. That is the part that I need to work on in the process. I need to protect the metal during that process so I can just concentrate on the sanding. Normally, I sand it with a coarse 150 and move up to 320. I need to get to the store to pick up a 600 since I know that will really make it shine. Once I have that process down, I will start making more picks that could be something I would feel comfortable selling.

I use feeler gauge from McMaster-Carr. I tend to stay away from anything lower than .027". I prefer .030", but have no problem using a thinner gauge if someone had that desire.
<<

Velvokay

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:32 am

That looks nice! If you keep sanding it with regular binder paper, it will get a VERY smooth finish. I did this on the cocabola pen I made, and it turned out nice.
Foot on the pedal - never ever false metal
Engine running hotter than a boiling kettle
The Beastie boys
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:59 am

Very nice indeed - congrats :drool:
<<

ChonkyTonks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:23 am

Thanks, guys. These tips are great and most certainly appreciated. I have changed the process of how I make these. Last night I made two new dual picks and am sanding them prior to making the handles. So far, I can see this will be a better way to go in getting the shine that I want on the pick, itself. When I make the handle, I will simply cover the portions that will not be covered by wood so that I do not ruin the finish. This is going to make the whole process much better. I should have the other picks done over the weekend and I will post them here.
<<

ChonkyTonks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:15 pm

Hey all,

Here is a pick I made over the weekend. Dual hook with a purpleheart handle. I do not like how the handle turned out, but I did get a better idea as to what I want to do with the handle-crafting process. In addition, the color of the wood is just muddy. I need to apply a laquer, me thinks. The actual pick, however, is getting closer to where I would like to see it. The shine is there for the most part. I have another pick that is ready to go for a handle. I will be using olive wood for that handle. I have to say, I really like the figured woods over anything else. Let me know what you think.

<<

bezza1

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:41 pm

looks great mate
keep going dont look back allways achive your goals
and follow your dreams................
<<

ChonkyTonks

Contributor