FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Homemade Handles

<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:11 pm

Re: Homemade Handles

painters tape isnt ment to stay stuck. it will stick and stay there but it is ment to be removed easily leaving no residue. so i thing heatshrink or the above mentioned JB weld dip would be great for this project...
(I love JB weld <3 )
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

Thedonofdeath

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:13 pm

what is this jb weld stuff? what am i using it for? can someone link me to it? thanks in advanced
<<

ratyoke

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:22 am

Use a file or coarse sand paper to rough up the steel part of the handle, then use two part epoxy to attach the wood. Use a spring clamp or something to hold the wood on tight it while the epoxy cures.
<<

eeze

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:08 am

hello all, i personally would like to say that i hate plastic handles and i am not that fund of metallic ones either, these wooden handles are beautiful. i believe that if you use wood epoxy glue which is very cheap and actually sets harder than the wood itself and then shape the wood into a shape that works for you, you could then use wood stain to stain the handles any color you like or perhaps apply a very thin coat of varnish so that it would not feel tacky in your hands , and you would have a beautiful elegant handle on your picks . excellent idea well done. i am going to have a try at it myself.
<<

happykill

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:04 pm

I did exactly what ratyoke suggested back when i did this a few months back, but had little luck in the final result. I think while the idea's are flying I am going to give this method another go, shape the sticks after assembly and possibly wire wrap to see how that looks/holds up.

At the very least, this thread has people thinking and bouncing ideas, and that's fantastic!
-------------------------------
Known Some Call Is Air Am
<<

Thedonofdeath

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:10 pm

ok guys listen. i got some jb weld. but i didn't use it on the first 6 i made.they were glued with SUPER GLUE. the glue worked amazing. it soaked into the wood and completely encased the metal. then after it dried i applied regular glue to fill in the cracks and keep the wood from breaking. this time i used shrink wrap as suggested. the picks came out awesome. and they are going to last a long time.as a side note in the future i will use either use jb weld or super glue. either on works just as well. i know some people say that super glue doesn't work but they are just wrong. or they are buying the cheap a$$ super glue. if you get crazy glue that stuff is amazing and works well. either way. enjoy the pictures below
P1010009.JPG
P1010010.JPG
P1010012.JPG
P1010013.JPG
P1010013.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Thedonofdeath

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:11 pm

the only thing i could have done better is sand the corners of the wood to make it smooth but these are just find the way they are and will not change them.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:54 pm

slightly off topic, but did you ever hear that crazy glue was developed for gluing lenses and prisms, and was used for bonding bone,in cases of shattered cranium,facial reconstruction,etc?
the handles look great. it will be interesting to see if the namebrand stuff lasts.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

Thedonofdeath

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:22 pm

thanks awol. good to hear from you. i know i will not be buying anymore name brand. not when i can make my own custom picks, with awesome handles. i mathed it out and for about 20 bucks i can make about 75 picks. not incuding shrink wrap but i think i can find some cheap online. anyway its way better then store picks. they are a lot smoother and since i pick locks i know what is best for me. anyway thanks for all of your input. game will be getting one of theses picks in the mail in a few days. hopefully he post how he likes it. its a short hook. the best pick of all.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:57 pm

Thedonofdeath wrote:thanks awol. good to hear from you. i know i will not be buying anymore name brand. not when i can make my own custom picks, with awesome handles. i mathed it out and for about 20 bucks i can make about 75 picks. not incuding shrink wrap but i think i can find some cheap online. anyway its way better then store picks. they are a lot smoother and since i pick locks i know what is best for me. anyway thanks for all of your input. game will be getting one of theses picks in the mail in a few days. hopefully he post how he likes it. its a short hook. the best pick of all.

yeah, nothing on the planet is better than the stuff you make at home....wait till you try feeler gauge stock...you remember that set i made from wayyyyyy back?

DSC05064.JPG

they need a real good sanding and polishing,but holding up fine after 3 years or so...
you might want get a set...you can get them cheap online,plus you get super thin ones great for shimming...etc.
they are just like wiper 'serts...a million uses and counting..
add your handles to that, and commence slaying..=)
awesome you got a good supply of inserts as well...its crazy how some people have such a hard time obtaining them...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

game

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:05 pm

I remember seeing that set on you tube that actually insipered me to make my first pick ever half diaomond out of a piece of a feeler gauge set layin around

I'll post a vid of me using that pick when i get it
<<

Thedonofdeath

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:15 pm

those are nice wiz lol. i remember there. did you see my post on the wipers. Its so easy to get them from the junk yard. i got 40 in like 10 minutes. and that will last me a long freaking time.
<<

game

Familiar Face

Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:34 pm

he sent me one and they are rock solid give good feedback and just plain and simply work well
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:08 am

wood be nice to see wood stain varnish on those lolly pop sticks, i remember a member here uklockpicka making the same,he carved his initials in the handles maybe even painted them blue.
<<

lockpickingmick

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:17 am

great idea good luck to you don so simple yep keep us posted esp try epoxy btw if you find shrink tube big enough let us know
PreviousNext

Return to Home Brew