FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Unknown vault door

<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Sun May 22, 2016 2:15 pm

Unknown vault door

Here are photos of my "do it when you can get to it" project. The vault door is in an small, old office space in the town I grew up in.In the early '60s it was Doc Jonas' medical office. I may have seen it during my visits to his office but my concerns at the time were the size of needle I may get in my shoulder or ass. During a visit to my long time barber we got to talking about the building and what once and now currently being used for when he mentioned there may be a safe or vault in the building.I sought out the building's owner and called him. He confirmed that there is a vault door in a back office and doesn't think it has been opened in many years.I met the owner a few days later at the building and got these pics.Since I sought him out, I am not charging for the opening (if it does happen).The door now has a utility closet built around it so I could not get a full frontal pic.Water heater 4' from the door and a bathroom wall immediately to the right of vault frame. The handle is broken off with a 1" stub remaining. An S&G 100 dial with a forbidden zone. A 'star' as the opening index and the changing index to the left. The patent dates on the nose of dial indicate the lock is a roller bolt. (Gordon...I didn't call it a swing bolt this time). The door is mounted LH and I believe the lock is, also. Because of the hinge blocks I think Hall. Anyone .... Image
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Mon May 23, 2016 9:00 am

Re: Unknown vault door

A couple things to add: handle nub did turn when vise grip was attached and dial does bind when given a full half turn. It looks like a screwdriver was wedged between door and dial, which was moved 1/8" outward, causing the bind. I was told a local locksmith some 20+ years ago had attempted to open it. Not saying he broke handle or bent dial, that may have happened before or after he attempted opening.
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks