FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Primus Bump Keys

<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:57 pm

Primus Bump Keys

So I bought some Primus cylinders on ebay and guy threw in a TON of extra blanks. So people keep saying I should get some bump keys for it. Anything different in cutting them on a Primus blank than a standard SC1?

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH7ekPB68OM

The discussion in chat: wouldn't cutting the shoulder back a bit mess with the position of the sidebitting?

Thought?

PS: thanks Selim for cutting these for me!! ;)
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:12 pm

Re: Primus Bump Keys

Yes, cutting back with the shoulder would mess with setting the finger pins properly. If you're using the minimal movement method of bumping, rather than cutting back the shoulder you need to offset the bump cuts towards the tip of the key.

It has the same practical effect of cutting back the shoulder without as much chance of messing with the finger pins. So when you tap the key, you are actually fully inserting the key and setting the finger pins with the side cuts on the key at the same time that you're bumping the lock and popping up the regular pins.

I haven't tried this yet, but at least theoretically this method should be able to bump Schlage Primus, ASSA Twin 6000, Scorpion CX-5 and similar sidebar locks (with separate sidebar pins) as long as you're using a blank with the proper sidebar cuts. I've been curious to experiment with it. I'd guess it won't be as easy as bumping regular pin tumbler locks and might take some trial-and-error to find the right amount of offset when moving the cuts towards the tip of the key, but it would be interesting to find out.
<<

macgng

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:06 pm

well we have to figure this out quickly as selim has the blanks and should be cutting them soon
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:47 pm

Sounds tricky. I'd love to see the results though.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."

Return to Schlage Primus