FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Beginning Locksmith Advise

<<

Wizer

Familiar Face

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: Beginning Locksmith Advise

Wow, a dollar or two per key!
I charge 12 euros for that. My cheapest key (Abloy Classic) is 7,50 EUROS.
I cannot understand how you can make a buck charging 1-2 dollars per key, unless you only cut 3-10 different blanks and about 500-2000 pieces a day.
Of course the blanks cost me 0,40-4,50 euros each, and we have 24% VAT, but still... :???:
<<

Deadlock

Post Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:31 pm

Yeah, I've been waiting for an actual locksmith to reply to this, but so far it's just been tumbleweeds rolling by during the day, and crickets chirping at night. Maybe they've all been banned.

I saw some low quotes for cutting keys on the light side this week. $1.75, $1.25 and even $1.00.

I had a 6 pin euro key copied in a hardware store near me last year. Nickel silver blank and he ran a file along the peaks to deburr it. How much? ''Four pounds please.'' That did give me a bit of a start! 20% VAT here, but that price is the highest I've ever paid for a key. £4.00 would be €5.42 or $6.18. Key worked perfectly anyway.

I would expect to pay £3.50 to get that sort of key cut. That would be €4.74 or $5.40.

But a one dollar key? What the hell's it made out of? Melted down carburettors?
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:31 pm

Hardware stores and locksmiths around here charge between 2 and 2.50 for most standard keys. Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart charge a bit less with their crappy Axxess keys.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:30 pm

I believe an abloy key would be much more expensive to cut. $1 or $2 is for a standard key. For something like a Medeco or Mul-T-Lock its around $10-20 a key depending on the specific lock it is. These are all local locksmith prices.

home depot uses that man less machine to do the cuts so your paying for the blank and for the cutters use.
<<

Deadlock

Post Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:08 pm

Thanks guys, interesting to know the local prices. I still find even a two dollar key from a vending machine incredibly cheap.

Talking of cutting Abloys... link for those who might not have seen it:

http://www.keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=7091

The master at work.

Edited to add: I have edited the link as the YouTube vids won't show up in ssl. Depending on your computer, you might not know that some content is missing.
Previous

Return to Professional Locksmiths