FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Beginning Locksmith Advise

<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:32 pm

Beginning Locksmith Advise

Lock picking was something I started as a hobby, something I started doing for fun and am slowly turning that hobby into something I really want to pursue as a career. I know there are lots of locksmiths here and I want to ask for your help. What advise, suggesting, concerns, any information or 2 cents you can offer someone looking to become a locksmith. I also really want to know what are the prices you guys charge and for what services.

I have gather myself that:
install a lock/deadbolt - $70 per lock
copy a key - depends on the blank but $1 per copy

Just realized there are a few people that have already viewed this thread but no posts so I wanted to open the field. Even if you are not a locksmith but have some information, advise, story or anything, please share.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:59 pm

Re: Beginning Locksmith Advise

There is a similar thread or threads already,
Somewhere here?.
With lots of stories of how people got into the business. Some were watchmakers, jewelers.
Lot of sage advise.
Good luck in your quest.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:02 pm

Opps, my bad. Ill look for that. thanks

Since I did post the thread can I get just one question answer please? What is the charge to pick a lock if someone lost their keys to their front door? And is it the same price if the locksmith would open the door using other methods (destructive or non) if the lock cant be picked?
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:57 pm

The question of pricing is always a regional thing. New York City will not be the same as Lima, Ohio. Nomally you have a base "service call" to cover vehicle costs and travel time, then a labor fee for your work. Most folks figure rates based on what they would like to be paid per hour and have a minimum charge. Ex: I want to make $200 per week or $5 per hour, with no job being less than 1/2 hr. My truck costs $20 per week to operate. In a week I can run 25 calls. 40hrs. divided by 25 calls= 1.6 . 25 calls divided by $20 truck operating expense = 1.25 I now know it will cost $2.85 per call to break even, with no profit for the company. So I now have a base to start from. I will charge $10 per hour to the customer with no call being less than $5 (which gets the customer up to 1/2 hour).And my base service call will be $3.75 which will cover my expenses and travel time plus give the shop a profit. When it is said and done the shop will make about equal to you, and you own both! There is a flat rate book out there somewhere that breaks down jobs by percentages of an hour, I don't remember who makes it. Remember all figures here are fictional, obviously you will need to make more and these percentages are the purpose of giving an example. Start with what you want to make, and build your own formula. Good luck!
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:13 pm

Papa Gleb wrote:Opps, my bad. Ill look for that. thanks

Since I did post the thread can I get just one question answer please? What is the charge to pick a lock if someone lost their keys to their front door? And is it the same price if the locksmith would open the door using other methods (destructive or non) if the lock cant be picked?

I charge a service call, to go out to the site, usually $45 or $60
then I charge $35.00 to pick a standard lock-Schlage or Kwikset type lock
if I can't pick the lock I charge $35 to destroy it and then I have a charge to replace it
<<

gibson

Familiar Face

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:03 am

some shops have different billing systems than others. one guy might charge $40 for service, and then add on an additional charge for the type of job, and materials. another might have a flat fee of let's say $90, but that would include the service charge and 1 hour labor. of the two, the latter has worked out better for me. this way you don't get into a pissing contest of '$50 to open a lock! you only shoved a piece of plastic in there! I could have done that!', things of that nature.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:37 am

gibson wrote:some shops have different billing systems than others. one guy might charge $40 for service, and then add on an additional charge for the type of job, and materials. another might have a flat fee of let's say $90, but that would include the service charge and 1 hour labor. of the two, the latter has worked out better for me. this way you don't get into a pissing contest of '$50 to open a lock! you only shoved a piece of plastic in there! I could have done that!', things of that nature.

I know this is true, cause many of the scammers around me have a similar setup. For example they will tell a client they charge a $19 service call fee, of
course when you get the bill you'll also find a labour charge and several other illegitimate charges. Their prices are far above mine by the time you factor in
all the made up BS charges and they don't have any parts or inventory to speak of.
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:04 am

The other day I had to replace this knob that a late-night sham locksmith drilled for $180. Evidently he doesn't know how a lock works, since it's drilled in like three different places with a 1/4" bit. He also just left it on the door like that because the knob had a 5" backset and none of his $8 replacement knobs would fit the door. No matter that it was a bright brass Schlage F-Series knob, which can be found on one out of every three doors in these parts.

I charge a little less to destroy a piece of hardware than to open it without damage. Whenever I swap out someone's crappy Kwikset knob for a decent piece of hardware, I leave it in my van. That way if I have to break someone's SmartKey lock, I have something to replace it with and the price of labor plus used part adds up to what I'd charge for nondestructive entry.

The other day I was reminded of the problem with stating a flat fee for a lockout. The customer found her spare key while I was working on picking the lock and then she didn't want to pay me my small service call fee because I hadn't stated it over the phone. (This customer with a multimillion dollar home and a late-model BMW in the garage.)
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:21 pm

GringoLocksmith it's almost always the richers who refuse to pay a decent living wage, I can't guess why they are soo greedy? I had a call today to open a safe, when I arrived the homeowner was holding
out a $20 saying he already got it open & I should have a beer on him. I told him that since I didn't do anything I didn't need to be paid, but he insisted, so I took the $20.
I remember long ago, before I had my "No Work, No Charge" policy meeting up with a few folks, like your lady client, folks who seem to think the gas my truck uses is free
along with my time. I used to place a lien upon their property and charge 1 1/2% per month, which works out to 18% per year. I got tired of the paperwork and now I just
keep a list of folks who I won't work for, any longer.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Papa Gleb wrote:Lock picking was something I started as a hobby, something I started doing for fun and am slowly turning that hobby into something I really want to pursue as a career. I know there are lots of locksmiths here and I want to ask for your help. What advise, suggesting, concerns, any information or 2 cents you can offer someone looking to become a locksmith. I also really want to know what are the prices you guys charge and for what services.

I have gather myself that:
install a lock/deadbolt - $70 per lock
copy a key - depends on the blank but $1 per copy

Just realized there are a few people that have already viewed this thread but no posts so I wanted to open the field. Even if you are not a locksmith but have some information, advise, story or anything, please share.

Wow $70 to drill, mortise & install a deadbolt? You charge too much, man, I get $55 for that and I have over 20 years experience
That copy a key thing though, are you trying to undercut the hardware store? The home stores around me charge plenty, I get $3.25 for a standard key
Thing you'll find if you look is everyone charges a different rate. I had a richer the other day call, he wanted to complain because I charge an $85 service call to his home and $8.50 to rekey a lock
while the other guy gets $59 for a service call and $15 to rekey a lock. I told him if he had 4 locks to rekey he would save money using me. Well he only had 2 locks to rekey and he wanted to whine
about my prices. I let him know I was disappointed to find a rich guy with a multi-million dollar house had the time to bother me on the phone. I highly doubt he'll call back and that's good by me.
<<

Deadlock

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:59 pm

For a quick guide on prices, check out this link: http://www.locksmithledger.com/article/10881122/locksmith-services-pricing-2013

Anyone got The National Locksmith Flat Rate Manual?
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:08 pm

Deadlock wrote:For a quick guide on prices, check out this link: http://www.locksmithledger.com/article/10881122/locksmith-services-pricing-2013

Anyone got The National Locksmith Flat Rate Manual?

I have an older copy of the flat rate manual, but after looking through it I decided I didn't like their pricing structure
<<

Deadlock

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:28 pm

Yup, as mastersmith said, ''The question of pricing is always a regional thing.'' I can't see a national guide being much use, yet the book exists. Not worth getting then?
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:15 pm

Deadlock wrote:Yup, as mastersmith said, ''The question of pricing is always a regional thing.'' I can't see a national guide being much use, yet the book exists. Not worth getting then?

Hell even when I got mine, almost 20 years ago that flat rate book was in serious need of updating,
I can't imagine all the new things to repair that have been invented in the last 20 years that the book is missing.
If You buy one I hope for Your sake it can be returned, if you don't like it...
<<

Deadlock

Post Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:04 pm

I've bought things I regretted buying off the bay, but if I really wanted that book I reckon I'd join this site: http://www.wpracetech.com/tor/free-locksmith-flat-rate-manual-pdf/ and download it.
Last edited by Deadlock on Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Professional Locksmiths