FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Paying my dues...

<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:51 am

Paying my dues...

So here's some of my triumphs and some of my not so triumphs...

I rekeyed a tubular switch lock for an elevator company and the key was working fine. Problem was I left a spring out that pushes the contact to the positive and negative contact points. As I didn't know this it took a few minutes of examination to figure this one out.

Today I worked on a Simplex Unican lock that wasn't working properly. After taking it apart slowly and taking pictures of it and trying to figure out the parts. I figured the problem was a piece was worn out in the center thus making the lock malfunction. Using a piece from an old stripped down Simplex we had in the shop, I replaced the piece and it now works fine.

Also on some Trilogy locks a spring called a Torsion Spring will occasionally break and need replacement. The Simplex also has a similar spring.

After working with locks so often I am beginning to notice similarities in design and this does help me in troubleshooting some problems and figuring out how to put things back together.

There's nothing like experience and watching my coworker work helps me in a lot of ways. He sometimes does the impossible and makes it look easy.

Clh.
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:55 am

Re: Paying my dues...

in the Simplex locks a clutch pack failure is 95% of the problems that I see.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:09 am

Do you still have the pictures of the Unicam as you took it a part? Bet I'm not the only one who would like to see them. (hint hint) ;)

And the Simplex locks are very prone to clutch failure from what I hear.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Altashot

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:07 pm

Clutch, knob return spring, combination chambers, worn stop plate...All the "normal" problems.
Luckily, every part is available and Simplex's are fully serviceable. I even "tune" them from brand new before I install them.

M.
<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:59 pm

I'm uploading the Simplex 1000 parts list and exploded view for you guys.

It was the Stop Plate (part 11) that was worn out from the center. I replaced that assembly part from an old Simplex.

I also uploaded my 10 pictures I took of the lock. Photos where taken with my Nexus 5 which is set to auto backup using Google plus to my Google drive.

After take one apart and putting it back together it becomes easier to work with.

I also have some of the pictures as my wall paper on my phone so I can get it ingrained into my head.

Everything helps.

Enjoy...

CLH...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:59 pm

I will upload my pictures as soon as I learn how to take out the Geo Tags. Aka, longitude and latitude information out of my pictures. I'm disappointed with Google Picassa 3 as it takes all photos from your computer. I guess Google doesn't respect privacy. Hmph...

CLH.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:04 am

chieflittlehorse wrote:So here's some of my triumphs and some of my not so triumphs...

I rekeyed a tubular switch lock for an elevator company and the key was working fine. Problem was I left a spring out that pushes the contact to the positive and negative contact points. As I didn't know this it took a few minutes of examination to figure this one out.

Today I worked on a Simplex Unican lock that wasn't working properly. After taking it apart slowly and taking pictures of it and trying to figure out the parts. I figured the problem was a piece was worn out in the center thus making the lock malfunction. Using a piece from an old stripped down Simplex we had in the shop, I replaced the piece and it now works fine.

Also on some Trilogy locks a spring called a Torsion Spring will occasionally break and need replacement. The Simplex also has a similar spring.

After working with locks so often I am beginning to notice similarities in design and this does help me in troubleshooting some problems and figuring out how to put things back together.

There's nothing like experience and watching my coworker work helps me in a lot of ways. He sometimes does the impossible and makes it look easy.

Clh.

I just spent a frustrating 4 service calls on a simplex 1000. I already replaced the code chamber & the clutch and it still won't work correctly. How much to let you look at it?
<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:38 am

To Jones:

Well what happened was our shop sold them a Trilogy lock because my coworker wasn't able fix it. Then after they bought the Trilogy from us our shop kept their Simplex lock.

It was only after that my boss and coworker went on service calls that I was messing with the simplex. When we pushed the correct numbers the knob will turn to open but the knob wouldn't return it self correctly all the way. You would have to turn it back a little and then it would click. Because if you didn't turn it closed properly the lock would still be left open sometimes or the combo wouldn't work until the knob had fully closed itself to the left.

The internal spring was replaced but it still had that problem. So as I was taking it apart I was figuring out what part goes where. I couldn't figure out somethings until my coworker brought me the other simplex that had most parts removed except for what I was messing with.

It was then that I started taking pictures to remember how it assembled.

But you can always have them upgrade to a Trilogy lock.

Clh.

Return to Professional Locksmiths