FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

long backset

<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Tue May 06, 2014 1:47 am

long backset

Today I ran into this door with a malfunctioning lock, which I think is an old Baldwin:

It's a massive copper-clad door. Those escutcheons weigh about five pounds each. The backset has a 7" extension link. The T is loose or worn out and keeps slipping out of position so it won't pull the latch open.

I went down to the parts store to see if I could get a new one. They told me it'd be a 12-to-16-week wait, and that the five-inch version of this part would start at $410, whatever that means. They couldn't even quote a price for the longer one.

The issue is that the T keeps slipping, in this next photo, toward the camera. I'm thinking to find a very good welder who can come in and weld on a bridge piece from points B1 to B2 (must zoom in to see) so that the T can't slip out of position. (This is a photo of a knob I took out of a bucket in my garage, but it's the same concept.)

Has anyone ever seen one of these?
Last edited by GringoLocksmith on Tue May 06, 2014 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

escher7

Post Tue May 06, 2014 5:12 am

Re: long backset

Pics not showing on my tablet.
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Tue May 06, 2014 8:17 am

fixed?
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue May 06, 2014 9:08 am

I've seen Schlage locks like that here. Pretty hard to find parts but some of the older locksmith shops do have them.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue May 06, 2014 10:03 am

That spring retainer on the lock body says Sargent 6-line (although it could be a copy). The latch retractor is either bent, or at least mis-matched to the latch. I would try to bend the ears back on the retractor.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Tue May 06, 2014 10:34 am

Depth.JPG
Had a knob with problem like yours, It kept slipping out( the T piece), Found out the knob was not adjusted to the right thickness of door.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Tue May 06, 2014 5:45 pm

jharveee wrote:
Depth.JPG
Had a knob with problem like yours, It kept slipping out( the T piece), Found out the knob was not adjusted to the right thickness of door.

Thanks! That was so simple. My lock didn't have a catch tool or anything; I just had to spin the escutcheon out toward the knob. It left the whole knobset ever so slightly wide for the door, but it works now.
Last edited by GringoLocksmith on Sun May 11, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Tue May 06, 2014 6:01 pm

Glad it helped :smile:

Return to Professional Locksmiths