FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

When is it a Good Time to Start a Locksmithing Business

<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:06 pm

When is it a Good Time to Start a Locksmithing Business

I've been contemplating what it would take to start up a shop. But I'm left wondering, when and where should I start? Should a shop start by having a good key machine and blanks, or should it be fully stocked and prepared for any situation? Im currently finding some good tools for cheap and I am putting my name out there in a very small way. I want to grow and eventually be self employed but I dont have the capacity at this time. So I guess what Im asking is, Where and how did you guys start? Where should I focus and what is a waste of time? I appreciate any help.
<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:11 am

Re: When is it a Good Time to Start a Locksmithing Business

I would suggest these items:

Semi-automatic key duplicator to copy keys
LAB Pin kit to rekey locks
Basic Car opening book and tools
Installation tools (Drill, Holesaw, Wood Chisels, Hammer, etc.)

I've found a lot of good deals from Craigslist
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:58 am

mister sour wrote:I've been contemplating what it would take to start up a shop. But I'm left wondering, when and where should I start? Should a shop start by having a good key machine and blanks, or should it be fully stocked and prepared for any situation? Im currently finding some good tools for cheap and I am putting my name out there in a very small way. I want to grow and eventually be self employed but I dont have the capacity at this time. So I guess what Im asking is, Where and how did you guys start? Where should I focus and what is a waste of time? I appreciate any help.

There is a lot to it all. Are you going to open a shop and do mobile service? Or are you only going to be in shop? Or mobile only?

What services are you wanting to provide? Auto, residential, commercial, panic hardware?

If you do auto will you be capable of originating transponder keys? That equipment alone can cost thousands, not to mention you are opening yourself up to problems by hooking into a cars brain. Did someone else already try and screw it up? The customer will never admit it but you will suddenly own someone else's mess. How much will the market bear for that service? How much will it bear when you add yourself as competition into that market? How many cars will you have to do for that equipment to pay for it's self? How many people actually lose car keys in your area?

You need to figure out your market before you spend too much money on equipment. For some locksmiths it pays off because they have the client base for it. How many other locksmith services/shops are there in your town?

Honestly I would strongly suggest working for someone else for a few years first. I have been at it for 3 years now and I have no interest in owning my own shop.

When I started out I had to learn so much on my own. The little help I did get was from my 72 year old alcoholic boss who could barely remember a lot of stuff because he basically gave up on life and wanted to do everything half assed. I have been with the company I am at now for a year and a half and I am already light years ahead of where I was. Where I was timid before about doing installations for things like deadbolts, I insisted I needed a jig. Now a jig would only slow me down and I do it better. I am not afraid of installing panic hardware at all. I can tear down aluminum store front doors and replace concealed closers in short order. But only because I finally found a place where they will teach me.

But I still don't know much about running my own business. I do know I wouldn't want to try learning locksmithing and business 101 at the same time.

All that said I am not trying to discourage you only give you food for thought. I truly wish you success in whatever you choose.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:02 am

welcome back !
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:10 pm

I am self-employed as a locksmith in Arizona & I don't see what the difficulty is. Here in AZ there is no locksmith licensing and I don't have a contractors license so it's pretty straightforward. Each year I must pay a business license fee to the town I work in, that costs $100. I used to own a gun store also and with judicious use of the & sign and also the / sign I managed to pay the $100 each year while licensing two businesses that I ran under one roof. Each month I fill out sales tax forms and send the money that I work for free to accumulate for the county coffers. That pretty much sums up my legal liability to the city/county. I have a small shop like 500 sq ft that is crammed full of stuff I cannot bear to throw away. Sometimes those older used locks can be worth plenty, I have a resort I service where they absolutely love to buy a used Corbin/Russwin mortise lock at one half of retail price plus my labor to install it. As far as making me money, the shop never does seem to pay for it's rent these days, but that is largely my fault for only keeping it open 45 minutes a day. My other option is to hire someone, which I have done many times in the past 20 years, but am unwilling to do again. I have learned many times that it takes 6 months to a year of training for a guy (or girl) off the street to be able to find the correct key blank and then cut a working key. In my business most every employee decides to quit long before they are fully trained, which just wastes a lot of money on nothing. As a result I do 45 minutes in the shop at an appointed time, so folks can come in & get their work done without paying my service call fee & then I leave and go actually make some money for myself doing service calls. Over the years I have found that the gov't is against all small business and as a result I no longer break my butt to do much additional work, as I got tired of paying extra taxes to a gov't that doesn't represent my wishes, anyway.

I would think you would want to begin business as my Dad did, working his full time job and doing service calls before and after his regular work hours. That is easier and doesn't require you to fill out sales tax forms every month. You'll need a dc motor for your key machine and some key blanks along with a pin kit. You will also want a set of auto lockout tools and some lock picking tools you likely already own. I quit doing most auto work with the advent of the transponder key, so most of my calls nowadays are rekeying houses, which I consider to be the easy money. Second are home & auto lockouts, which generally come along at the most inconvenient times. The real bottom line is I have, in 25 years, managed to make a name for myself, and a decent living. I recently put a piece of land into escrow and if everything checks out I will have a new home built on it in a few months. Unfortunately as a small business no bank is interested in making me a loan, which is fine once you learn to save money well.

I really think the most important thing in starting a business is making a go of it as soon as possible. Every day You wait is one more day in an unbroken chain that You have managed to put things off. Putting things off has never managed to get anything done, so seize the day, and quit thinking about it--Do It One thing on your side is the residential market is largely unchanged since 1970. Also since You are a member of this site, you have that going for you as well. You should keep in mind that many of the topics presented on the forum are abnormal in the residential lock world, most homeowners have never heard of high security and couldn't afford it if they had heard of it.
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:30 pm

I spent about a year and a half apprenticing in Mexico before I came home and started up my own business, which was about nine months ago. A year ago if you'd asked me what the hardest thing I ever did was, I'd have said that it was moving to another country and learning a trade in a second language. Now if you asked me the same thing, I would tell you that that was a cakewalk compared to starting up my own business.

I spend every waking moment thinking about my business. I've become very boring because locks and locksmithing is all I ever talk about. Nine months in, I'm profitable but worry all the time that the business I'm getting is a fluke or just seasonal or that something will happen to make it dry up. Every slow day seems like a sign of things to come.

The locks in Mexico are completely different from what we use here. All the time I run into situations and locks that I've never encountered before. That's what makes the job interesting, though. When I was apprenticing, I had support in those situations. Now my options are to tell the customer he called the wrong guy, or just figure it out.

You'll probably spend a ton of money before you start making money. You won't get as much business as you expected and everything will cost more than you anticipated. In those first few weeks, every day you'll find out there's a new tax or fee that you weren't aware of. You may see your savings dip and dwindle as you wait for your marketing to start to work. You have to seriously consider how long you could go without an income.

When you're first starting out, if this is your main source of income you can't really afford to be selective about the jobs you take. That leads to a lifestyle in which you're always on call. Do you like to drink beer? Would you go out on a lockout call after you've had a couple? If not, how many nights a week are you willing to choose between being available to work and having a couple of drinks? Do you have family and friends with whom you like to make plans? As a small business owner, you may not have to answer to a boss for forty hours a week, but you do have to answer to the constant demands of the business.

All of that said, this is an adventure and I'm having a blast. I say go for it. Ignore anyone who says you can't do it. What's the worst that could happen? You fail? So what?
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:40 am

Thanks for everyones input. I actually registered my fictitious name last week and already received my FEIN from the IRS. Im waiting on my state sales tax bond and as soon as I get that, Im off to the city to apply for my business license. Im almost there! Jones, I found your input very insightful. I am currently working full time and planned on doing exactly what you said to do. Like you, My state doesnt require a license for locksmithing. So that makes it easier for me. Im actually looking at a Ford Cargo Van and seriously considering getting one. I dont know if I will ever rent a retail space. Seems like a van would be more cost effective whilst using a spare bedroom in my house for the heavy work. But I dont know. Im obviously not a vetted business owner yet.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:40 am

One nice thing about a business location is it makes you a "real" locksmith in the eyes of the public. Also like today, a fella wants to bring his trailer in to have a key impressioned to fit it, something he couldn't do if I was mobile (because I would charge him a service call fee) You may decide that meeting a client with your van doesn't hafta cost anything, I don't do it anymore, as too many cheapsters have tried the old "next time you are out in my area BS" now I just tell them, "sorry but I can't afford to work for free anymore, you'll hafta pay the same fees everyone else pays, if you want my help".

I wish You luck in your new business!

Return to Professional Locksmiths