FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Fastkey Vending Machine take a look

<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:35 pm

Re: Fastkey Vending Machine take a look

I recently read an article in Locksmith Ledger July 14, that suggests these machines also offer an option to "remember" your
key code info for later cutting by code, if you were locked out by chance, as well. The magazine suggests the possibility of
identity theft and the thief's possible ability to buy Your code cut key by somehow hacking this machine.

And $200+ for a lockout? Where the heck is that at? I get like $80 usually
<<

Deadlock

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:26 am

New York prices? Or there's something in the tenancy agreement like, "If you lose your keys you must contact XYZ 24-hr locksmiths, who will replace your front door lock for a standard fee." The standard fee being $200. I could imagine a letting agency having a deal with a locksmith. According to this, though:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Locksmith/comments/2axwo7/best_emergency_locksmith_in_brooklyn/

$200 is like half price.
<<

Josephus

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:52 pm

Deadlock wrote:New York prices? Or there's something in the tenancy agreement like, "If you lose your keys you must contact XYZ 24-hr locksmiths, who will replace your front door lock for a standard fee." The standard fee being $200. I could imagine a letting agency having a deal with a locksmith. According to this, though:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Locksmith/comments/2axwo7/best_emergency_locksmith_in_brooklyn/

$200 is like half price.

That seems insane. I never knew how much people charged for doing this stuff. I looked up some prices and found out that changing a safe combo starts at $180. Residential lockouts start at 50 and commercial lockouts are even higher. Pretty crazy that things I do for fun in under a minute can rake in so much cash.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:51 pm

Josephus wrote:
Deadlock wrote:New York prices? Or there's something in the tenancy agreement like, "If you lose your keys you must contact XYZ 24-hr locksmiths, who will replace your front door lock for a standard fee." The standard fee being $200. I could imagine a letting agency having a deal with a locksmith. According to this, though:

$200 is like half price.

That seems insane. I never knew how much people charged for doing this stuff. I looked up some prices and found out that changing a safe combo starts at $180. Residential lockouts start at 50 and commercial lockouts are even higher. Pretty crazy that things I do for fun in under a minute can rake in so much cash.

Wow, no wonder I keep finding new scammers all over my area. I didn't know everyone else was charging so much in my own area!
I better double my prices right now huh?!!? Just jokin' I got a thing about greed. I still get $80 to change a safe combo tho
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:01 pm

The situation is similar here in Australia - depending who you call, a simple domestic lockout, on a weekday, in business hours, could cost anywhere from $50 all the way up to $200+

A couple of years ago, I arrived home at the block of apartments where I live & saw a locksmith (supposedly) trying to let my neighbour into his flat. He spent literally 30minutes snapping away with a pick gun, another 5mins trying to bump the lock & then gave up & pulled out the drill. He then tried to charge $220 as quoted on the phone, plus an extortionate amount (I forget how much) for replacing the cylinder he drilled. My neighbour paid the $220, but refused to pay for the cylinder.

I had previously let this neighbour in twice & the lock, a 5 pin Lockwood with a very tame bitting, was VERY easy to pick.

...Mark
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:52 pm

I could tell ya that the pick in his pick gun is definately in need of tightening
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:31 am

jones wrote:I could tell ya that the pick in his pick gun is definately in need of tightening

Not wrong! He had to stop clicking away at least once (I didn't watch the whole time, the guy certainly didn't need an audience) to tighten the screw, because the needle became totally loose & only held in place by virtue of being held by the keyway. Maybe he was having a bad day, but my impression was that he was pretty hopeless. Took him two attempts to drill a lock that has no drill protection whatsoever.

At least he didn't mess up the installation of the new cylinder.

...Mark
Previous

Return to Professional Locksmiths