FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Safe Talk, with Altashot.

<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:56 pm

Re: Safe Talk, with Altashot.

Great work! An interesting story, but also leaves me so curious.

Please update us if you here from X or Y....

Mr. X.... did you purposely place your sticker over the change key hole?

Mr. Y.... figure out what the mystery "dirt" is, and how/why it got there!? VERY curious.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

LockManipulator

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:55 pm

So when the safe was upside down and the "dirt" had shifted, did the dial rotate a lot smoother?
<<

CPT1911

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:02 pm

Wow very cool story. I always learn a ton from these anecdotes, Alta!
<<

Altashot

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:55 pm

That mystery dirt is still a mystery. Locksmith "Y" did not elaborate on the subject when I asked him.
One of his guys serviced it, and when I asked for him, I was told he was too busy...Next time I drive by, I'll go visit him, maybe.
I think his auto dialer fu*ked it up more than it was in the first place and he didn't want to admit it...?
He might have been a little pis*ed off too. You see, after I looked inside and re-installed the back panel "right side up", as a joke, I put my sticker on the hole, like Locksmith "X"'s was... He might have been offended by that.
Thinking on it now, I realize how it can be seen as a -smart-ass-show-off- thing too.

Turning the safe on it's back did not improve the feel of it. It remained gritty throughout the entire open up. The dial hit a few snags and sudden releases upon being rotated. It also had a lot of in/out movement, not as much as a MP lock, but almost. Very strange indeed. I wish I knew more.

I like sharing those anecdotes, my family and friends have heard enough, and they never fully understand or appreciate what it takes or what went into it. They don't have the passion.
But you guys, on the other hand, want it all, often in it's most minute details. Only here can I say it all and know that it is being understood, appreciated and you guys know that locksmithing is a passion to me.

Thanks for listening.

-The other morning, a local Bank called me. In a big panic, the bank manager exclaimed that the vault wont open...
...It's 8:00 AM, they open at 9:00...I drove there in rush hour traffic...
...Upon my arrival, Mrs Manager was all over me freaking out and some of the other employees were also near hysteria.
Now. This is not an environment I like to work in. Way too tense. I needed to calm everybody down. I explained, in my calm but assertive demeanor, that I was going to open that vault but I needed peace and quiet.
Mrs M told me they changed both combs on the vault door last night. They were both tested "at least twice" she said. But this morning, the bottom one wont unlock. I believed her. then I knew I was dealing with a "user error".
I asked for both, the old and new combs and I pulled a chair to the door.
I sat there and spun. A mix of old and new, too many rotations, or not enough, numbers in the wrong order or as dyslexic, one number more or less, on all, and individual wheels...
9:00 AM, Mrs M took money out of the ATM and opened the Bank.
It didn't take long before people started to talk about me, the safe cracker sitting in front of the closed vault door.
I heard comments, some good, some funny, some stupid...
I continued and I finally felt the heavy drop of the fence lever as it fell into the gates...
...Then the heavy bolt pull of this 4 wheel S and G vault lock.
I turned the handle up, slowly swung the door opened and while rolling the chair away from the now slowly opening door,
I exclaimed in a matter-of-factly tone: "The Vault is Open".
Mrs M and the others, as well as customers, had comments on the event. Some also "changed their tunes" and were less stupid.
Like a hero, I saved the day! Humbly, of course.

It turns out that the 3rd number was 10 off. The 3rd number is spun R, so the numbers are in descending order.
What she meant to set was a 45, but watching the numbers whiz by her eyes, possibly in haste, 70, 60, 50, 40...
She saw 40 then added 5, to make 45, but in the same direction, effectively setting it to 35. Rather than changing the combination to what she wanted, she kept it as is.

I wrote the bill, got paid, got a few more pads on the back and added "a feather to my hat".
9:15 AM.
-Next!

M.

Edit. Sorry, no photos in Banks.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:01 pm

Very, very nice, altashot! Bet it felt great. Will not likely ever be as good as you are, but it is fun to live vicariously through your exploits.

Gordon

P.S. Just got my first 4 wheel safe lock to practice on today. ILCO, though it has an S&G dial. :mrgreen:
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:41 am

Altashot wrote:I like sharing those anecdotes, my family and friends have heard enough, and they never fully understand or appreciate what it takes or what went into it. They don't have the passion.
But you guys, on the other hand, want it all, often in it's most minute details. Only here can I say it all and know that it is being understood, appreciated and you guys know that locksmithing is a passion to me.

Thanks for listening.

Thank you for sharing these experiences with us. It's very nice to read them. I feel the passion you have for your work and appreciate it very much.

Cheers :)
<<

Oldfast

Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:34 am

Altashot wrote:....Sorry, no photos in Banks.
:???: What?! Ok, I guess I can understand that, lol. :mrgreen:

femurat wrote:Thank you for sharing these experiences with us. It's very nice to read them. I feel the passion you have for your work and appreciate it very much.
A BIG +1 on that! :agree:

GWiens2001 wrote:P.S. Just got my first 4 wheel safe lock to practice on today. ILCO, though it has an S&G dial. :mrgreen:
Why you lucky #&*#.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:38 am

Oldfast wrote:
GWiens2001 wrote:P.S. Just got my first 4 wheel safe lock to practice on today. ILCO, though it has an S&G dial. :mrgreen:
Why you lucky #&*#.

:razz: :razz:

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Altashot programming. :wink:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

LockManipulator

Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:06 am

dang, I would love a chance to mess around with a bank vault safe lock! Are the majority of them 4 wheel s&g's?
Last edited by LockManipulator on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:22 am

Are you wearing some kind of safe movers steel toe shoes in that photo?
<<

Altashot

Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:23 pm

Most vaults I work on do use S and G, 4 wheel vault lock. Of course the old Banks have Moslers and JJ Taylors and Halls...
The oldest one I currently service is a JJ Taylor. It's history is documented and it moved 4 times. It now resides at a Bank out of town and is in use, everyday, and so is the timelock.
The biggest is a CMT down town, mostly original, 30" thick, 16 locking bolts, each 4" thick
Another really cool one is a Diebold Wedge-Lock, the door has nothing on it, the dials and locking mechanism are in the frame.
It was designed to resist a nuclear blast.

I always wear steel toed boots at work and I have for nearly 20 years. in fact that is pretty much what I wear all the time.
Those are my current boots, they don't look so new anymore. They are Red Wings, Steel toe and steel in the sole as well as metatarsal guards, which are fiber glass.
Not specific to any trade, only where extra protection is required or desired.

M.
<<

Altashot

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:24 am

Last week, I got a call from a local Bank, they needed a timelock installed on one of their compartment in the vault.
The lady on the phone said they had the timelock and it only needed to be mounted.
So I went there, she showed me which compartment they wanted it on, but there was nothing on the door.
No boltwork at all. Not even the combs. Nothing but a pull knob.
I told her it needed more than just a timelock, it also needed the mechanism and a turn handle.
So I took the door off, easy, it lifts right off the hinge pivots, and took it to the shop.
There, I proceeded to "make it work". I did it over a period of 5 days but really, only 6 hours went into it.

Documented and illustrated on the following link.

http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/Altashot/story/71109

M.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:56 am

Wow, that is pretty impressive. I can just imagine your face was something like this :-| :bs: when you opened that compartment to "install" the time lock.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:39 am

Absolutely fantastic, Altashot. You are an inspiration for me.

Gordon
<<

LockManipulator

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:26 pm

Wow, you always do a great job on those projects of yours! Your job is my dream job!
PreviousNext

Return to Professional Locksmiths