FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Stripped out holes in wood doors?

<<

Squelchtone

Post Tue May 28, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Stripped out holes in wood doors?

MrWizard wrote:I have always used tooth picks, wood matches, dowels, whittled pieces of hard wood and Elmer's wood glue works fine for me. But here is a kit alternative you can buy that requires no drying time and appears to work very well by the reviews I have read.

Mr. Grip Screw Hole Repair Kit. It doesn't even matter what material the screw is embedded in - wooden, metal, plastic , even cement, aluminum or anywhere screw holes need fixing. Check it out you may find it to be great too.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B38ALG
http://www.homedepot.com/p/8-Pieces-Mr-Grip-Screw-Hole-Repair-Kit-00158/202105579

Richard

Thank you very much for this tip, I have top hinges on my entry door that have holes that are too large and no matter what screws I put in (3 inch long screws at the moment) they dont bite on anything any longer, so the other side of the door rubs against the frame because of the sagging. Can't wait to try this out!

Many Thanks!
Squelchtone
<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue May 28, 2013 5:38 pm

easy, go down and get your self a giant bag of wood/ not white golf tees..use them all the time. hammer in lightly then cut off with cutters then hammer till flush. fills in hole and then you can start new scree hole. We/ locksmiths do this all the time!
<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue May 28, 2013 5:55 pm

last time found a giant bag for $1. CHeeeeeeeeeeeeeap !
<<

simonbosslocks

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:14 am

Chopsticks !! Tapered good for all screw sizes !
Hammer in- chisel flush . All I ever use (13 years now)
Free and can be done in a minute and screws like fresh timber .
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:51 am

I once had a customer whom I installed a rimcylinder lock for, one of those that have the boltworks in a box on the surface of the inside of the door,
I screwed it on in the normal way,
then when I was finished while I was still there, he got a screwdriver and started forcing the screws which couldn't go any deeper because they were through the metal corners of that boltworks box, until he stripped out the wood that was the only thing that could give.

At that point I realised that he was batshit crazy. and I refused to take any further part in the job. His door was on a corridor of cheap rooms in a sketchy part of town, I let him go ahead and finish the job the way he wanted it.

he ended up wtih drilling holes clear through the door and putting machine screws through with nuts and washers on the outside. Brilliant. !
<<

dll932

Familiar Face

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:55 pm

MrWizard wrote:I have always used tooth picks, wood matches, dowels, whittled pieces of hard wood and Elmer's wood glue works fine for me. But here is a kit alternative you can buy that requires no drying time and appears to work very well by the reviews I have read.

Mr. Grip Screw Hole Repair Kit. It doesn't even matter what material the screw is embedded in - wooden, metal, plastic , even cement, aluminum or anywhere screw holes need fixing. Check it out you may find it to be great too.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/8-Pieces-Mr-Grip-Screw-Hole-Repair-Kit-00158/202105579

Richard

Used that stuff, not real happy with it. Here's another idea I just thought of: Mix up some epoxy putty and stuff it as far as you can in the hole (thin dowel would help). After it sets up, usually fairly quick, drill a new hole through it. Put a little grease on the screw so it drives OK and won't stick permanently.

Some years ago I bought a kit that came with a tapered reamer and several cone shaped plugs (coated with glue) to match. You reamed the hole, then wet the plug to moisten the glue and stuffed 'em in flush. They worked well til I used up the plugs and couldn't get any more.:)
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:29 pm

dll932 wrote:

Richard

Used that stuff, not real happy with it. Here's another idea I just thought of: Mix up some epoxy putty and stuff it as far as you can in the hole (thin dowel would help). After it sets up, usually fairly quick, drill a new hole through it. Put a little grease on the screw so it drives OK and won't stick permanently.

Some years ago I bought a kit that came with a tapered reamer and several cone shaped plugs (coated with glue) to match. You reamed the hole, then wet the plug to moisten the glue and stuffed 'em in flush. They worked well til I used up the plugs and couldn't get any more.:)

I have used those too worked good. The point of posting the Mr Grip Kit is available anywhere requires no glue, no dry time, instant fix for all materials not just wood. Wood, metal, plastic , even cement, aluminum. If used right works pretty good for a fast fix. :mrgreen:

Richard
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

C locked

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:02 am

mastersmith wrote:I use threaded inserts. Then I replace the screws with machine screws, and use a bit of Locktite to keep them from backing off again. Expense is small if you figure the hinge screws will not be a bother again. I have some jobs that I did this method to that are decades old and still perfect.

i know its an old post but

can you please post a link, or a picture or what you mean by the threaded insert
<<

escher7

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:07 pm

C locked wrote:
mastersmith wrote:I use threaded inserts. Then I replace the screws with machine screws, and use a bit of Locktite to keep them from backing off again. Expense is small if you figure the hinge screws will not be a bother again. I have some jobs that I did this method to that are decades old and still perfect.

i know its an old post but

can you please post a link, or a picture or what you mean by the threaded insert

Here is a pic:

http://www.essentracomponents.ca/fasten ... t=Alliance has a New Name&utm_campaign=Alliance Legacy
Previous

Return to Professional Locksmiths