FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Stripped out holes in wood doors?

<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:04 pm

Stripped out holes in wood doors?

I have had a few customers come in, they have stripped out screw holes in there wood doors, some hinges one old style deadlock, the kind that surface mounts. Anyways, whats the cheapest and best way to fill these holes so that you can reuse them, it also has to look good, I know you can use wood toothpicks, etc, etc. What does anybody recommend? Only thing I have here at the store is a Minwax brand epoxy type wood filler, but the quantity is too much for the job and the price is too high for what they are using it for.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Stripped out holes in wood doors?

lpk , you could try drilling the screw hole , and superglueing a wooden dowel into the hole , let it set and start from fresh , i would assume that the holes that are already there are not on show ? as long as you are accurate it ought to be ok mate.
Or try larger screws possibly (or longer screws , that can also be a lifesaver) good luck mate !
Open Sez Me !
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:36 pm

The cheapest way would be to get some fine sawdust and mix it with wood glue then pack it into the holes. Not sure how it would react to a screw though.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Josh66

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:09 pm

I've always used wood dowels and wood glue. Leave them a little long (not much) then sand flush once it's dry.
<<

Don

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:36 am

It all depends on whether the repair is going to be visible or not .
Hidden repairs:
small holes: hardwood tooth picks + wood glue should work fine. Usually works well to tighten up a screw hole . Larger holes: follow Josh's idea of a wooden dowel

Visible Repairs:
I have had poor results from canned wood filer . I prefer Riyame's method of saw dust and wood glue.. 50/ 50 mixture add a drop or 2 of water if you need it thinner. Cleans up with a wet cloth.

Josh's wooden dowel can also be used if you don't mind the repair being visible. Sometimes that is a plus as the repair looks older :)
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:04 am

I've seen tips say to use a golf tee in a stripped out screw for a hinge.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:21 am

I use threaded inserts. Then I replace the screws with machine screws, and use a bit of Locktite to keep them from backing off again. Expense is small if you figure the hinge screws will not be a bother again. I have some jobs that I did this method to that are decades old and still perfect.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:40 pm

I use wooden kitchen matches, minus the heads of course, and wood glue.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:44 pm

Something that goes along with all of this is spackle. If you are dealing with the problem of holes being worn out it's likely that there are cracks in the door jamb or on the edge of the door. A light spackle job will improve the appearance of the whole job 10 fold and make for a very happy customer.
<<

Josh66

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:02 pm

jailersmith wrote:I use wooden kitchen matches, minus the heads of course, and wood glue.

I think all of my guitars probably have at least one matchstick in them where the strap knob goes, lol. It works great if the hole is the right size.
<<

rzr800

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:54 pm

I always use wooden dowel rods for stripped screw holes works best
<<

HowardK

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:21 pm

frame side is easiest in most cases, pre drill & install the proper size screw into the stud at least 1 to 1/4 inches, be careful to not pull the frame in...use bees wax on the screw threads,

old style solid wood doors & thick frames,

drill and glue 1/2 inch or larger dowels into door 3 inches long, drill, install proper wood screws full length with bees wax on the threads, for the frames drill and glue 1/2 inch or larger dowels flush to stud behind the frame, this is so you do not pull the frame in when you install the screws, drill & install 3 or 4 inch proper wood screws with bees wax, be sure the screws go at least 1 & 1/4 inches into the stud,

for the cheap doors & frames do the same for the frames, but for the doors, since they are cardboard, foam only a 1/2 inch of edge wood or compressed sawdust etc, use 1/2 inch dowels or larger, split them in half length wise, make some wedges to match the diameter, insert wedge and then insert split dowel, with glue, this makes the dowel expanded/wedged in,

if door edge is real poor/thin soft..., molly bolts as is or toggle bolts with reversed cone washes counter sunk to center them to eliminate screw sag works very well
<<

dll932

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 28, 2013 7:52 am

jeffmoss26 wrote:I've seen tips say to use a golf tee in a stripped out screw for a hinge.

I have done this as well, also sticking a sharpened pencil in the hole and cutting it flush with a wood chisel. I squirt some wood glue in first. So far it's worked quite well.
<<

escher7

Post Tue May 28, 2013 9:47 am

Here is a cabinet maker's trick for making the right size dowels. Choose what size makes the most sense and drill the hole. Then find a thin piece of steel and using the same size (metal) bit drill a hole in the steel. Finally, whittle a piece of wood close to the hole size and then drive it through the metal hole. Out comes a perfect dowel ready to insert in the first hole perfectly sized.

I do have a problem with filling holes with matches, sawdust and glue etc. From a security stand point it is likely to fail. Same with plastic wood and other fillers. I would either use a metal insert or make a dowel from hardwood and glue it securely in the hole. Then drill an undersized hole in the dowel so it does 't crack and insert the screw.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue May 28, 2013 11:18 am

I have always used tooth picks, wood matches, dowels, whittled pieces of hard wood and Elmer's wood glue works fine for me. But here is a kit alternative you can buy that requires no drying time and appears to work very well by the reviews I have read.

Mr. Grip Screw Hole Repair Kit. It doesn't even matter what material the screw is embedded in - wooden, metal, plastic , even cement, aluminum or anywhere screw holes need fixing. Check it out you may find it to be great too.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B38ALG
http://www.homedepot.com/p/8-Pieces-Mr-Grip-Screw-Hole-Repair-Kit-00158/202105579

Richard
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
Next

Return to Professional Locksmiths