FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

KNK Marking and Fitting

<<

Harvey

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:57 pm

KNK Marking and Fitting

I've got a project I'm working on that was conceptualized as a personal product, but it may be of interest to other lockies.

I'm interested to see how many lockies in other countries are out there fitting new KNK (Key-in-Knob), KNL & Deadbolts on a daily basis?
ie; 60mm(2 3/8) and 70mm(2 3/4) backset, latch / bolt cut through edge of door. Standard lockset format.

What is everyone's normal methods of marking this accurately?

Would you mind outlining your normal step-by-step methods of markout
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: KNK Marking and Fitting

template should be in the box
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:31 am

I used to install them using a jig. But alas: Just like the Steering wheel puller, it takes more time to set up than to actually use. I still use one, when I have to correct an existing installation or re-size a hole.

But now, I mark the backset (In the US there are two common backsets: 2-3/8", and 2-3/4") using a combination square. Then along the same centerline on the edge of the door, I cross it by placing my square at 45 degree angle, making an "X" across the centerline at the center of the door's thickness.

If the door is wood, I make the edge bore first, using a spade (or paddle) bit. The cross bore is then made with a hole saw (2-1/8" diameter is the U.S. standard). I drill until I see the pilot bit break through the other face of the door; then I finish the hole from that side, so there is no tear-out.
A metal door is similar; The only difference, is that I use a hole saw for the edge bore.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

Violaetor

Post Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:33 am

Best thing I ever got was a guide clamp and I'm not even a LS, just a do-it-myself. Adjust the back set, clamp to the door and drill.

Like this, there should be a deadbolt one somewhere...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Irwin-Door-Lock-Installation-Kit-w-2-Hole-Saws-/140899174432?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ce3ec820
Looking to get something made? Send me a PM!
<<

Altashot

Post Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:43 am

I trace a line across the edge of the door at the proper height, Then with a combination square I continue this line on both sides of the door. I then close the door and continue the line from the door to the frame. I'll use that line later to precisely place the strike. To accurately measure the back set, I use the same combination square, set the ruler to the desired back set and rest it on the edge of the door assuring that it is firmly pressed against the high edge of the bevel, then mark the spot. Same procedure for the other side. I normally drill the 2 1/8" hole first, then the 1". No particular reason, just because. I pay extra attention to drill all holes square/leveled/plumb in every directions relative to the surface. When I get about a third of the way through, I start drilling from the other side. I use hole saws in metal doors and forstner bits on wood. I haven't used a jig in years...Takes too long to adjust/install, 1 more thing you got to drag in...Sometimes they mar the doors too. Experience also though me to never use templates that comes with anything. Too many times I have had issues with slightly under/over sized templates. Photocopies of faxes are even worse!

Many people will have different methods and will use different jigs or templates, and maybe that works for them.
Best thing to do is to try several things until you develop your own method. What works for me may no work well for you...
Whatever you do, do it with pride and show your skills.

I know a locksmith that boast that he can install a deadbolt ,carelessly I may add, with a jig in 12 minutes! To me, locksmithing is an art and a craft. I prefer taking a little longer by measuring carefully, drilling accurately and make a clean crisp mortise. Many customers know when they are in the presence of a true craftsman, and the craftsman knows when they know.

M.
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:45 am

Always clean up yout mess and refrain from talking politic or religion. You'll come across as professional. IMHO
<<

Harvey

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:22 am

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. The info about what steps used when applying your measurements to the doors is exactly what I was looking for.

I'm prototyping an idea that's been on my to-do list for years, never really got around to fabricating or testing one though.
Recently while browsing 'Shapeways', I put two and 2 together.

I've been emailing a friend of mine about it, but I'll link to the original basic concept in video form.

I think I'll start another thread to log the progress of this.
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:55 am

That's quite cool.

What software did you use for the 3D modelling?
<<

Harvey

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:06 am

Just Sketchup. It's surprising the ease-of-access that program offers.
It can be a struggle to bend it to your will when doing something complex, but for taking a napkin-sketch of a Deck/Patio extension at 7:30PM to a fully rendered Youtube video at 9:00AM, it can't be beat.

Also,
Updated concept video

Return to Professional Locksmiths