FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Associated Locksmiths of America

<<

the picker

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 20, 2011 4:54 pm

Associated Locksmiths of America

a question for the pros out there.Is certifying with aloa very important when trying to get into the biz and if so y?
<<

cool-arrow

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri May 20, 2011 7:30 pm

Re: Associated Locksmiths of America

It depends they are one of the few Nationally and Worldwide recognized certifying organizations and they host the big conventions in Vegas. When I went to Locksmith school I looked on their website for ALOA certified schools and there was only one in my area. Even my instuctor who is ACE certified and a bunch of other titles behind him said that its not really necessary. He even said that a lot of the test material wasnt necessary to know. ALOA certified is a recognized title same as the SAVTA stuff. They are a business when you really look at it geard to make money. I dont see it as a necesity but they do offer training and other discounted services to members and you can buy stickers etc. Most customer wont have a clue to what ALOA is.
<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri May 20, 2011 9:39 pm

cool arrow said it all. The End
<<

abroxis

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat May 21, 2011 12:29 pm

A lot of the ALOA crowd are trying to get locksmithing to be state regulated and require licensing. They have the money and lobbying skills and no doubt ALOA will
have influence on the licensing procedure.

To qualify for a locksmith license you may have to prove competency and ALOA certification would be considered proof in many if not all cases.

The public may not really care but there is no doubt that some of the existing locksmiths do care.

ALOA certification helps your credibility when you are trying to network with some fellow locksmiths or get some help from some suppliers and dealers.

When some trades become licensened there is sometimes a provision for being "grandfathered". This means that existing locksmiths who can prove that they
are competent may be exempt for expensive testing and certification by the government.
<<

Dopug

Familiar Face

Post Sat May 21, 2011 12:33 pm

abroxis wrote:A lot of the ALOA crowd are trying to get locksmithing to be state regulated and require licensing. They have the money and lobbying skills and no doubt ALOA will
have influence on the licensing procedure.

To qualify for a locksmith license you may have to prove competency and ALOA certification would be considered proof in many if not all cases.

The public may not really care but there is no doubt that some of the existing locksmiths do care.

ALOA certification helps your credibility when you are trying to network with some fellow locksmiths or get some help from some suppliers and dealers.

When some trades become licensened there is sometimes a provision for being "grandfathered". This means that existing locksmiths who can prove that they
are competent may be exempt for expensive testing and certification by the government.

I wonder if there intentions are truely for the good of the public and the industry, or whether they are just in it for the money?
<<

abroxis

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat May 21, 2011 1:29 pm

I wonder if there intentions are truely for the good of the public and the industry, or whether they are just in it for the money?

Thats the very dividing point.... Money or to benefit of the public and trade.

Its World War 3 to discuss this on some locksmith sites. ''
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Sat May 21, 2011 2:38 pm

Dopug wrote:
thelockoutguys wrote:And this is why i rarely come to this site anymore. The level of professionalism or use of language is gradeschool at best. But I may be the one who does not belong here. Nothing wrong with anyone on this site but for someone that may be new to this site and is serious about lockpicking and locksmithing they will think this site is a joke from the language and off topics. Not sure how to say it but i might be taking this website too serious and should stick to the other sites. There are alot of smart people on here to learn from but again its hard to read through the b.s. to learn new techniques that will help my company.

The more I think about your comments the more they are winding me up.
No need to get all wound up. Thelockoutguys are right. This isn't exactly a professional site. Yes there is good information and very knowledgeable people on here. This site is first and foremost a hobbyist lockpicking site, not a professional locksmithing site. Unless I'm wrong, in which case HC can correct me.

sandman wrote:(and anyone whos says that its useless, has never tried to take the test, or has and failed, many locksmiths with 50 years of experience fail that 'master locksmith' test, there are only a few hundred in the US that have that level of skill.)
In the case of a CML I would tend to use the word knowledge as opposed to skill. Passing the tests requires knowledge, not skill. I'm sure that's what you meant anyways...

For many years I have worked with a CML. His knowledge is far greater than mine may ever be about locks. Yet I have the skills to manipulate more safes and pick more high security locks than he's ever dreamed of being able to. He's the CML, I'm just a journeyman locksmith. Who's better? Depends on the job at hand. Which pretty much means the CML is better. Being able to picking high security locks very rarely comes in handy as a locksmith. But it sure is fun to do. :-P
<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat May 21, 2011 2:49 pm

Dont get stressed dopug and no hard feelings towards anybody. Life is to short!
<<

the picker

Familiar Face

Post Sat May 21, 2011 3:14 pm

thanks for the replies every one its much appreciated and helps me out quite abit
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Sat May 21, 2011 4:19 pm

That's enough. Everyone just cool it.

Return to Professional Locksmiths