FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

New idea, or not

<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:05 pm

New idea, or not

A customer comes into the shop the other day, want's me to key a deadbolt to the key he has. No problem I tell him, then saw that the deadbolt was a Falcon, and he had a Schlage SC4 key. Falcon will supply a Schlage cylinder if it is specified, so I open the box, and it was a Falcon G cylinder.

No problem I say, because I had a few Schlage cyinders, and could use the Falcons lazy tailpeice. So I key the cylinder, put the Falcons tailpeice on it, all is good until I put the cylinder into the deadbolt. The face of my cylinder was to big to go into the Falcon housing, and the sholder of the key was hanging up not allowing the key to go all the way in so it wouldn't turn.

I'm onley about five minutes into this rekey and I could tell the dude was already getting impaicant. I tried to tell him that his deadbolt was a different keyway, and it might not work. Of course he had no idea what I was talking about, because if you take it to locksmith they can make it work.

I started thinking about it,and came up with an idea that just might work, and thats not like me. I took the cylinder apart, and put the plug into my drill, then put a flat bastard in my vise. You all know what's next start spinning the plug with the drill, and filing it with the file in the vice.

With in about 2minutes of taking it out, and checking it in the housing it finally fit. I keyed it back up again screwd it into the housing, and it worked.

Was this my idea, or is it sothing the pro locksmiths do all the time. I hope it was my idea, and I'm starting to catch on.

selim
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: New idea, or not

It's not new. We usually charge a little for having to do it, it doesn't happen often enough that we have a set price for it though.

We usually run into the problem when using Schlage/Ilco cylinders in a Sargent lever. Sometimes we do it the way you did and file down the face of the cylinder while it's in a drill. And sometimes we drill the hole in the lever (or in your case deadbolt) larger. Considering that the deadbolt was already the customers and you weren't selling it to him, I would have done it the same way you did.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: New idea, or not

Git into my belly! Oh wait... that was fat bastard... Well, all I gotta say is that even if it's not a new idea, it's new to you, and you arrived at it on your own... so I'd say good thinkin' there! Also, I'd add that yeah, I guess that does mean you're catching on :)
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian

Return to Professional Locksmiths