FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Doing lockouts for old people

<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:19 pm

Doing lockouts for old people

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean old people in a bad way, just that, some of them are really freaked out by anything they see and are scared by everything they here. I did a lockout awhile back, I was in a hurry to get back to my full time job at lunch time, the neighbor comes up, he forgets my name and who I am so everytime he talks to me, it's like we just met. He says he has locked himself out of his house again, the first time he hammered the knob off the door and surprisingly gained entry in a not so brilliant fashion. This time he comes to me to save him some trouble. I ran over with a wrench and a hook and picked his lock in about 3 seconds, had to plug spin it, and the door opened, end of story?? NO, this weekend he comes to me and wants his house and garage rekeyed, he says that somebody has been picking his locks and now he is really sure that his stuff is missing, oh wow. He probably never even knew that picking was possible till he seen me do it, my fault I guess, I should never have let him see me do it, but it's hard to hide when your in a hurry and he is standing right there on HIS porch. Anyways the rekey left alot to be desired, he kept forgetting what I was doing to his locks and kept asking me questions, I almost just left and had him call a lockie in town, he was making me nervous as hell, I don't ever want some guy thinking that just because I do lockouts that I am a thief and that was the feeling he was giving me. I got it all done, and got paid for it, but this is one customer that I will turn any more jobs down too, there are just some people that you can't help no matter what. He is happy with what I did for the time being but I won't be surprised to see him again with more problems, if it is anything to do with the job I did, I will fix it, but nothing else, not worth the money. I has also raised another question for me, I really think I need liability forms for rekeys and everything that I do, just to cover my ass in case something crazy happens.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:43 am

Re: Doing lockouts for old people

Welcome to the world of locksmithing Kid. Barry Wels even touched on this subject a while ago. http://blackbag.nl/?p=1035

There are a few people (potential customers we really don't want for this very reason) that whenever they call, "we are too busy to get there today." Yes they are usually good paying customers, but with the amount of time you spend on the phone with them later... That and whatever you do you really can't solve their problem. A mythical bad person will always be able to enter non-destructively to rearrange their sock drawer and eat their chocolate cake, yes even if each door is locked with a Primus, an Assa, a Medeco, and Abloy double cylinder deadbolts. It really doesn't matter because the problem is all in their head.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:07 am

another Oregon lockie has told me similar stories, this is my first experience with it. It's just not worth the money. He said that people were coming into his house was the first story, then they were breaking into his garage. He just misplaced all this stuff and the only logical thing that could have happened is "Somebody picked the lock" or " Somebody has a copy of my key" I am done with this guy. He can pay the big rates for the big town lockie's or hammer the knobs off again when he locks himself out.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:27 pm

i got a stack of forms ill send to you today...
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:18 pm

Well I don't do any lock stuff for people, but I do run a business fixing computers, etc. Yes, old people can be harder to work with, and they try my patience at times. I try to approach it like I am helping my grandfather with his computer...take my time, explain things, go slowly...and always answer their questions. I also work in retail hardware so I deal with older customers a lot. I do get to know a lot of people and build relationships and I think that helps a great deal!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:44 pm

I know what you mean. My wife is manager of an elderly/disabled only apartments. These units all have deadbolts and a passage knob, so if your locked out... quess who locked it? However, sometimes they lock their keys in their cars, so no charge. Mainly because of very low income. One guy here can't remember which unit he lives in, thank God he has no car.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:04 pm

jailersmith wrote:I know what you mean. My wife is manager of an elderly/disabled only apartments. These units all have deadbolts and a passage knob, so if your locked out... quess who locked it? However, sometimes they lock their keys in their cars, so no charge. Mainly because of very low income. One guy here can't remember which unit he lives in, thank God he has no car.

Well, since your in Oregon also, you know how bad a situation it can be if this guy ever thinks that I am the one that has broke in because I know how to pick locks. Oregon has really been cracking down on the whole licensing thing, I am getting my state license next month, but I will never be able to get a CCB license like they say I have to have, I am going to have to work under somebody elses license, so far I have a guy that says it's no problem if I do it under his. If your doing this stuff part time, there is no financial way to go through the whole CCB thing. I have some general locksmith work liability forms coming, so that will make things better for me should anything ever come back to bite me.
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:58 am

the lockpickkid wrote:Don't get me wrong, I don't mean old people in a bad way, just that, some of them are really freaked out by anything they see and are scared by everything they here. I did a lockout awhile back, I was in a hurry to get back to my full time job at lunch time, the neighbor comes up, he forgets my name and who I am so everytime he talks to me, it's like we just met. He says he has locked himself out of his house again, the first time he hammered the knob off the door and surprisingly gained entry in a not so brilliant fashion. This time he comes to me to save him some trouble. I ran over with a wrench and a hook and picked his lock in about 3 seconds, had to plug spin it, and the door opened, end of story?? NO, this weekend he comes to me and wants his house and garage rekeyed, he says that somebody has been picking his locks and now he is really sure that his stuff is missing, oh wow. He probably never even knew that picking was possible till he seen me do it, my fault I guess, I should never have let him see me do it, but it's hard to hide when your in a hurry and he is standing right there on HIS porch. Anyways the rekey left alot to be desired, he kept forgetting what I was doing to his locks and kept asking me questions, I almost just left and had him call a lockie in town, he was making me nervous as hell, I don't ever want some guy thinking that just because I do lockouts that I am a thief and that was the feeling he was giving me. I got it all done, and got paid for it, but this is one customer that I will turn any more jobs down too, there are just some people that you can't help no matter what. He is happy with what I did for the time being but I won't be surprised to see him again with more problems, if it is anything to do with the job I did, I will fix it, but nothing else, not worth the money. I has also raised another question for me, I really think I need liability forms for rekeys and everything that I do, just to cover my ass in case something crazy happens.

Sounds like senile dementia, something I am unfortunately familiar with at first hand.
<<

XMSTARSHIP

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:02 am

I worked for the auto club AAA for many years they had to sign a waiver before we would even touch there car I loved to do lockouts the look on there face when Id open there door in a few secs I know what you mean when people are breathing down your neck tho I hated that I told them to stand on the other side of the car and watch from there
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:29 pm

Right on LPK, the new legal requirements is why I don't charge for helpng the residents who live here. But since I no longer call myself a locksmith or offer sevices to the public for a fee, no violation. My question to the CCB license holders is, "What do you call yourself if you are retired from locksmithing?" Can't use the title "Locksmith " in any form without a license. I used to be a prison locksmith, but on a pension I can't afford a license either.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:57 pm

jailersmith wrote:Right on LPK, the new legal requirements is why I don't charge for helpng the residents who live here. But since I no longer call myself a locksmith or offer sevices to the public for a fee, no violation. My question to the CCB license holders is, "What do you call yourself if you are retired from locksmithing?" Can't use the title "Locksmith " in any form without a license. I used to be a prison locksmith, but on a pension I can't afford a license either.

Gee; that sounds a lawt like Texas!
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:56 pm

well, it sucks, a bunch of scammers come into a state, they ruin everything for a small time guy to make a little bit of money, I hate the new laws but something had to be done to help take care of the consumer. I will still make some money on the side, just hampers some of my dream you know. I was supposed to be easier than this!

Return to Professional Locksmiths