FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

First multipoint job.

<<

bouncer965

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:14 am

First multipoint job.

Ive been doing some repairs for a customer bit of painting and stuff. Was there yesterday and they said do i know anything about locks. My eys must have nearly popped out my head....instant excitement.

They have a timber door on the front of the house with a GU multipoint locking system. To engage the lock you have to pull the handle right up before you can lock the door with the key. Well this wasnt happenning for them.

So i took the multipoint system out to have a look what was going on and found that its a sealed unit inside ....in the fact that you cant get to the workings without litterally breaking the whole thing. So its handy having a neighbour in the window and door business.

He has ordered me the part i want from dublin and it'll be here tuesday for fitting. I asked him how much is the normal charge for fitting one of these ......i nearly died when he told me what his company would charge, €195.

Now i like to make money but that is unreal, ok the unit i need is €70 but it seems excessive to charge €125 for fitting it when its literally unscrew the old one and fit the new one ......literally a 30 minute job and thats having a teabreak in between. So ive said i'll charge €50 for fitting and the €70 for the part.

Now as some of you may know my goal is to be a lockie but am i cutting myself short charging this amount or do you think its fair price for the work involved???
[“A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.”.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bouncer965
<<

spanky2313

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:54 am

Re: First multipoint job.

What's that in U.S. dollars? thanks
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:05 am

lol google converter spanky... but at the moment i just double the euro number to get usd... (used to only have to 1.5 the number) ]

that will get yo ua quick idea
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

bouncer965

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:05 am

The labour works out at $67 Spanky. Spoke to the landlord of the property told him if he was to buy the part over the counter it would cost in the region of €130 so he's happy with the price.

As a temporary fix ive exchanged the front door system to the rear door so the tenants can lock the front door of the property. The rear of the property is surrounded by adjacent gardens so unlikely to get someone trying the back door of the property.

Happy teneant, happy landlord and happy me for some nuggets in the pocket :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:37 am

Once you start paying for advertisnment, Licensing, bonding,biz insurances, vehicle insurance, vehicle gas and maintenance, shop rent, power & water ect...It really adds up. Even though it may only take you 10 minutes there are still overhead costs that must be met. Then you gotta make some sort of profit ....
<<

bouncer965

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:23 pm

thelockoutguys wrote:Once you start paying for advertisnment, Licensing, bonding,biz insurances, vehicle insurance, vehicle gas and maintenance, shop rent, power & water ect...It really adds up. Even though it may only take you 10 minutes there are still overhead costs that must be met. Then you gotta make some sort of profit ....

Thats a fair point. Im looking to be a mobile locksmith working from a van preferably specializing in lockouts and repairs. I know the costs will add up and that my prices will increase as my expenditure goes up. But this job came up by being in the right place at the right time. At the moment im not advertising as a lockie because i need more equipment just so as i got the basics to get me through most lockout situations.

And seen as the price of insurance for painting and decorationg is €2300 i hate to even think what its going to cost for locksmithing :shock: :shock: .

<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:03 pm

That really is awful , i have £ 5 million liability insurance for work as a locksmith and it cost me around £140
A company called Haughtons insurance brokers ( if memory serves) or did you mean vehicle insurance ?
Open Sez Me !
<<

bouncer965

Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:18 pm

nozza36 wrote:That really is awful , i have £ 5 million liability insurance for work as a locksmith and it cost me around £140
A company called Haughtons insurance brokers ( if memory serves) or did you mean vehicle insurance ?

Nope...... that was for public liability to €2m. Ireland is the biggest rip off country ive ever known. When i was in the u.k my libility for the same was £80 .......thats some difference in prices and if i remember rightly the u.k covered me to £5m.

<<

virul

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:16 am

bouncer965 wrote:Ireland is the biggest rip off country ive ever known.

You seem supprised.
I likes my locks like I likes my women, loose and easy to manipulate.

Return to Professional Locksmiths