FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Kwikset Smartkey

<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:50 am

Kwikset Smartkey

I know this is like beating a dead horse, but these locks are slowly popping up around the valley here where I live. I have found the reset cradles online for around $16 dollars and they seem like a viable option to a potential customer who has screwed up there lock, however, how many times is a person goint to pay me to reset there lock before they just give up. I have been researching consumer complaints on these locks and I came across alot of excuses from the company, one of them disturbed me the most, a Kwikset rep told a customer that there lock was messed up because there locksmith used a standard duplicator and not a punch to make there keys, really? What? Seems like a bunch of B.S. to me.

"Our smartkey failed this evening. We locked both deadbolt and door as we left, came home to locked out. I called kwikset and after working with them on the phone trying to wiggle the key to the 1/4 turn position to try and get it to the learn position – nothing worked. The customer support person said since we had keys duplicated using the grinding method instead of having a locksmith stamp them out the keys had made the cams in the lock out of alignment. I asked CS how we will get in if we are on the OUTSIDE wanting in and he said we would have to either find another way in or drill out the cylinder. They are sending a replacement cylinder. No thanks – I don’t want to take the chance."

Sure I figure if the machine isn't calibrated I figure it won't set to a pin depth that isn't a depth, but an excuse like this is really misleading. I came across a website a minute ago that has tons of pissed of consumers, http://www.dannylipford.com/re-key-your-locks-with-kwikset-smartkey/ Some of these are just plain funny, but all in all there the same thing over and over again. We have a couple of Schlage SecureKey on the business where I work and so far so good, no problems at all, but I wonder just how long they are going to last as well. I am beginning to think that a plain old style pin tumbler system in a decent brand is still just the way to go.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Kwikset Smartkey

I hate to do it but i had to stop in the lowes last week to grab a kwikset lock i was out of and the lady looks at me and says...oh you dont want that one...and took it from me..you want the smartkey one so that way you dont have to pay someone to rekey it to the rest of your locks...i took it back from her and said..Lady..im the guy they pay to do the rekeying because that smartkey is shit...and walked off...oh you shoulda saw her face.
<<

aka.decoy

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:32 am

thelockoutguys wrote:I hate to do it but i had to stop in the lowes last week to grab a kwikset lock i was out of and the lady looks at me and says...oh you dont want that one...and took it from me..you want the smartkey one so that way you dont have to pay someone to rekey it to the rest of your locks...i took it back from her and said..Lady..im the guy they pay to do the rekeying because that smartkey is shit...and walked off...oh you shoulda saw her face.

WIN! HAHA
"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina."

-Ron Burgundy
<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:01 am

hahaha awesome, i've heard nothing but bad things about the Kwikset Smartkey. I suppose it is a good concept, but bad engineering?
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs...
See those kids standing by the lake...drop some napalm and watch them bake.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:06 am

make it all out of stainless or better steels... It may work better
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:33 am

LOL! I bought a couple the other day in Lowes, they are cheaper there than buying them in the store where I work. The guy says " I can rekey those to fit your existing locks for free" I said, nah, I will do it myself, he just looked at me funny, those key cutter guys in those stores think that they are the shit.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

steveslock

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:41 pm

We have a reset tool. It only gets used once or twice a year, if that. In my opinion its just a temporary band-aid, we explain to the customer there are better products that are still reasonably priced. The materials and design used in the lock seem to be destined for failure.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:51 pm

I wonder how much longer this can go on? I mean the quality of the original Kwikset was bad as well, but at least they worked, this smarkey product is often bad right out of the box, a company can only sell so much junk before everybody calls it quits.
<<

aka.decoy

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:02 am

the lockpickkid wrote:LOL! I bought a couple the other day in Lowes, they are cheaper there than buying them in the store where I work. The guy says " I can rekey those to fit your existing locks for free" I said, nah, I will do it myself, he just looked at me funny, those key cutter guys in those stores think that they are the shit.

Especially the ones that only know how to use that auto-Axxess-piece-of-crap.
"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina."

-Ron Burgundy
<<

KJ4IPS

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:51 pm

aka.decoy wrote:
the lockpickkid wrote:LOL! I bought a couple the other day in Lowes, they are cheaper there than buying them in the store where I work. The guy says " I can rekey those to fit your existing locks for free" I said, nah, I will do it myself, he just looked at me funny, those key cutter guys in those stores think that they are the shit.

<rant class=new_or_incompetent_worker>
:agree: the last time I had one done on one of those, the tech forgot to de-burr it, and I forgot to check it, long story short, it stuck... 1/2 can of LPS later... got the infernal thing out, pin by excruciating pin, and then fixed it with a dremel and a steel wire wheel, then made it shiny with a brass one.
</rant>

edit: Fixed Typo
It is foolish to think that any puzzle born of human ingenuity cannot be unraveled by the same (Someone whose name I have forgotten)
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:55 pm

KJ4IPS wrote:
aka.decoy wrote:

<rant class=new_or_incompetent_worker>
:agree: the last time I had one done on one of those, the tech forgot to de-burr it, and I forgot to check it, long story short, it stuck... 1/2 can of LPS later... got the infernal thing out, pin by excruciating pin, and then fixed it with a dremel and a steel wire wheel, then made it shiny with a brass one.
</rant>

edit: Fixed Typo

The more keys I cut the more I learn, I thought that I had it all figured out, but amazingly I learn something new just duplicating keys. Those Axxess machines are not that bad, there no different than any machine, problem I have and even what the people have that run those Axxess machines in Wal-Mart, are that no machine will duplicate a working key that is worn, often if you duplicate a worn key, you get another worn key, or one that doesn't work.

Return to Professional Locksmiths