FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Ez set

<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:59 pm

Ez set

We got a few of these locksets around here, I never have messed with one, funny thing is, the keys look like a kwikset, but software says nothing about them being compatible with a KW1, I always thought they were one in the same. Anybody know much about these, just for reference?
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

aka.decoy

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Ez set

I think I've seen EZ set sold at other places, but I could be wrong. The EZ1 blanks are basically KW1 blanks with different heads, just like the "defiant" brand I believe. I do remember the doorknobs disassembling differently from the kwikset style though, but not unlike any other common lock. As far as the pins, the EZ-set pins weren't tapered like the kwikset pins, and the lengths were slightly different. So sometimes when re-keying we'd try to use pins from the kwikset re-key kit and they would bind up in the lock. So, we'd do one of 2 things: Re-arrange the old EZ-set pins to get a different profile, or just stick a kwikset pre-cut blank in and use the more readily available kwikset pins.

That was 8 years ago though, I don't know if they've changed things, or if the pins are now the same, or the hardware is different. But I do know the blanks are still the same. Hope that made sense, LPK.
"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina."

-Ron Burgundy
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:26 pm

The bottom shoulder on the EZ set blanks is a little bit further back. I was told to always use the EZ set blanks for EZ set locks and not the Kwikset keys. However, that was long time ago, before I learned to question everything that was taught to me. And I've never had the chance since then to check fact or fiction on if the Kwikset keys will work fine or not. ...I think they will probably work just fine.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:15 pm

They're fully compatible with Kwikset keying.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:45 am

Thanks guys, I figured as much, but they actually make a blank for these, and it says nothing about it being compatibly with the KW1, however the profile looks to be the same. Funny how these other companies copy one another.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:13 am

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

aka.decoy

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:18 am

magician59 wrote:Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I agree. I try to copy ron jeremy but it never works for me....idk...
"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina."

-Ron Burgundy
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:55 am

EZ Set is a cheap ripoff of an already cheap lock. As already above, the keyway is compatible with KW1.

Aside from no-name chinese ripoffs of Weiser and Kwikset locksets, Ez Set and Defiant are probably the most common locks I replace on residential jobs. Often I'm called out to replace them because some part of the door hardware has worn out. I like them for one reason, and one reason only: if the homeowner doesn't want to keep the old lock (they usually don't) I clean out the cylinder and use it to teach noobs to pick.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:44 pm

Thanks! I run across a few of these, a few defiant and a few no name knockoff something or others, all use a KW1 key, sometimes the locks are so fricken cheap that the supplied key to them is so worn out when it gets to me, that it won't duplicate, I then have to explain to somebody that there is nothing I can do for them short of repinning to a new key, I make a little money on this sort of situation, but when we sell Kwikset kik sets for around $15.00 it is often cheaper in the long run for them to by new and have me pin other locks the same. This is all a learning experience for me, I am small time, and basically make enough money right now to just sustain, most all money made so far just buys new blanks and a few tools. A great experience though and one thing about it, I teach myself something new everyday, nothing wrong with that.
<<

rbrande1

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:02 pm

I could be wrong...but I think I've had trouble with duplicating these keys on KW1 blanks. As long as there are no zero cuts the blanks work fine, but I don't think the KW1 blanks are tall enough for an EZ set zero cut. Can anyone confirm this? I have also seen EZ set keys cut on actual EZ1 keyblanks from hardware stores...but our shop doesn't have them.
<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:40 pm

And i find its the right time to sell them a new lock...try not to mess with this junk.
<<

s1deshowmick

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:17 am

I've seen the EZ set here and also wondered if it were kw1 compatible. they're pretty cheap, about $23 if i remember rightly.
If you can't be good, Be good at it.

http://au.youtube.com/S1DESHOWMICK
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:02 pm

I too have recently been a bit curious about EZ-SET vs. KWIKSET.
I see them scattered about the community..... but I predominantly
see em' on trailers, doublewides, mobile and modular homes.

I found this PDF form 2004 on EZ-SET Knobsets.
http://nebraska-locksmith.com/articles/ezset.pdf

IF the depth chart is correct, you can see they are nearly identical to Kwikset... but not quite.
Cuts 1 and 5 are the same... while cuts 2, 3, 4, and 6 are deeper by only .001 of an inch.

KWIKSET . . . . EZ-SET
1) .329 . . . . . . . .329
2) .306 . . . . . . . .305
3) .283 . . . . . . . .282
4) .260 . . . . . . . .259
5) .237 . . . . . . . .237
6) .214 . . . . . . . .213

You also see he lists a variety of keyblanks in addition to the EZ1 blank.
Search the listed Ilco 1176 and it brings up a number of Kwikset blanks.
But technically, Ilco's equivalency to the EZ1 blank is 1522.

He also mentions the problematic latch design -
this is possibly what MBI was eluding too?

And, did you happen to read his "side note" underneath the chart? lol
It seems there's really no telling what you'll find as you tear into one.

Some other differences I've found: Just as FF mentioned, the bottom shoulder
on the EZ1 keys are set back slightly in comparison to KW1 keys. I don't have
many Ez-Set locks to play with... but another thing I've found is differences in
plug diameter. Granted it's not much (usually .002-.003) but it does vary a bit.
The key blade heights between the two also vary - again, around .002-.003.

I had a couple of factory cut EZ keys - decided to take my calipers to them.
None of my measurements matched any on the chart. Not on EITHER chart. lol
I was hoping to find some sort of consistency, so this was disappointing. I dunno :/

I haven't reached any definite conclusions on servicing these (hoping you'll help).
But I think we can all agree if using a KW1 blank, we must use Kwikset pins too.
The other option, as decoy mentioned, is to re-arrange the existing pins. But given the
inconsistencies, cutting a key for the new configuration may prove to be a cluster-fuck.

One other question (think I know the answer but I'd like to hear it anyway):
I've only serviced a couple of these, but whenever they're are on trailers,
modular homes, etc. they are more often than not, master keyed. Why?
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:16 pm

s1deshowmick wrote:I've seen the EZ set here and also wondered if it were kw1 compatible. they're pretty cheap, about $23 if i remember rightly.

Sounds like they are charging about $13 more than they are worth
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:23 pm

Oldfast wrote:One other question (think I know the answer but I'd like to hear it anyway):
I've only serviced a couple of these, but whenever they're are on trailers,
modular homes, etc. they are more often than not, master keyed. Why?

I'll take a crack at this one. Modular homes are often in developments with lots of other modular homes. Sometimes the contractor putting them up orders a bunch of master-keyed locks so every unit can be opened with a single key, which saves a lot of time when there are dozens of people needing to get into multiple buildings. And I think occasionally property management agencies get the bright idea to put all their units on a master key system, only to find that tenants change or rekey their locks, and then it takes more time to sort that out than it would have to taken have an orderly system of keeping track of multiple keys.
Next

Return to Professional Locksmiths