FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

The difference between key blank brands

<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:23 pm

The difference between key blank brands

I mostly use JMA blanks when I buy keys. I was wondering why does Borkey cost so much more, what is the real difference besides price of the big brand blanks versus the others?
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: The difference between key blank brands

I have no answer for you, but I would suspect metal quality? Laser cut verses punched? I don't know just throwing that out there.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:04 pm

where they are made and quality. Jma being cheapest and made in mexico. basiks...cheap...then better jet and then ilco and so on. Like anything else some are made better and have better quality. Rarely will i buy jma blanks unless they are only ones left in stock. i think its worth only a couple cents more for the better stuff. Jma is big and doing well with their cloneable transponder blanks.
<<

eeze

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:44 am

all keys are made using converted coin stamping machines,i use silca exclusively, i find that silca has the most complete range of key blanks for example, you can cut a key for cisa locks on a universal key such as ul050 but you will find that the unversal key blade is not as wide as the original so if your cutting a number one cut or a zero cut the universal ul050 is no good, that is why silca make the cs119 it is exactly as the original and will give all cuts, i only buy their steel keys you will never find a key that i cut rusted or broken. also silca have a very good free as well as online reference program.in short you get what you pay for and most of all i get returning customers not because there is a problem with the key that i cut for them but because they are happy with my work and they come to me for all their key cutting needs.
ps. i charge €2.50 for cutting a cylinder key and in order for my customers to get to me they have to drive past some one else that uses jma and charges only €2.00 for a key. people are not stupid if you explain to them the difference in quality, they will allways be willing to spend that little bit more for quality.
<<

Wizer

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:09 am

I agree, Silca has quality blanks. I use mostly JMA because of the price. By the way isn´t JMAs ABU-17D the blank for the Cisa?
Generally I have not had any problems with JMAs blanks, few exeptions tho: JMAs Abloy blanks suck. I use Silca.
Silca used to be made in Italy, but I´ve heard that some come from India and China now. Someone was complaining about them in a cobbler forum.
And the EHS2 heads are not nice plus theres a problem with the new ones.
2.50 euros for a cylinder key? :)
I take 10.50 for these JMAs I cut. :ugeek:
-Wizer
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:21 am

I haven't been impressed with JMA blanks.

In order of preference, I tend to use factory blanks, Ilco or Jet most of the time. Which one i use just depends on which specific blank we're talking about.

Return to Professional Locksmiths