FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

When you re-key locks

<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:19 pm

When you re-key locks

So I rekey some locks and I always change out all the keypins even if the key I am matching can use a couple of the existing pins, I just prefer to use all new pins. But, I never change the springs or top pins. I do however make sure that the springs are good and the lock turns smooth after I pin. Does anybody change all pins and springs when they rekey for a customer or is simply changing those out as needed and just doing the keypins a satisfactory job?
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: When you re-key locks

man when i do a rekey for a rental place sometimes i just switch pins and cut new keys, reusing the pins in the lock and not putting in any new ones...

if the code cut key does nto work (meaning the pins are worn down) i then replace all the keypins... i dont replace drivers or spring... unless there is aproblem
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:05 pm

DUmp and use new ones...they are too cheap to reuse and mess around with..only put in new springs as needed.
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:37 pm

:agree: . Same here I just dump the pins and rekey with new pins. I don't change out springs or drivers unless there is a problem.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:10 am

Thanks guys, I just wondered. I repinned some Defiant locks yesterday, took about 3 minutes apiece. I was actually surprised at the over all quality of these, better than a normal Kwikset, and seemed easier to pull apart. I finally made a price sheet, so now I don't get haggled and screwed over for my work, feels alot better being able to pocket what the job is worth, I must have had an ok price for rekeying because I have a few more to do for this guy, and he said he also has some other customers who need it done as well.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:20 am

Wow...I've never come across a Defiant lock that was better in quality than a Kwikset. Where did you find it?
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:59 am

I do it the same way Thelockoutguys and Kokomo do it.

magician59 wrote:Wow...I've never come across a Defiant lock that was better in quality than a Kwikset. Where did you find it?
Coughsmartcoughkeycough.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:51 pm

Farmerfreak wrote:I do it the same way Thelockoutguys and Kokomo do it.

magician59 wrote:Wow...I've never come across a Defiant lock that was better in quality than a Kwikset. Where did you find it?
Coughsmartcoughkeycough.

This guy has a few rental properties and he has them, the metal is better in them and the lock core was stainless steel instead of that lead tin mix crap that Kwikset uses. I am not saying there all good, but these seem to be.
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:15 pm

I alway's change the top pin's on Sargent locks. They seem to work better with the correct pin stack height .

selim

Return to Professional Locksmiths