FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

stainless pins ?

<<

loki

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:18 pm

stainless pins ?

Would the addition of a stainless -steel pin pair in chamber 1
increase drill resistance- beyond hard plate insert in plug- ?
(Yes, I should be frowned upon for asking a semi DE question) :)

Have you tried this ? Who sells stainless pins in standard dia.- .115" ?
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: stainless pins ?

I don't believe that it would increase drill resistance but I could be wrong. I do know that the stainless pins are somewhat harder to pick in certain locks.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:43 pm

not a chance im thinking, 8 mm hard plate drill bit going 1000 rpm will go through safes, i dnt see 2 stainless pins holding much hope , but i have been known to be wrong.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:44 pm

uklockpicker wrote:not a chance im thinking, 8 mm hard plate drill bit going 1000 rpm will go through safes, i dnt see 2 stainless pins holding much hope , but i have been known to be wrong.

i was wrong once....
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

barbarian

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:24 pm

I would think that hardened steel pins would be troublesome. (Stainless) Should cause the drill to wander into the softer material. I bet most guys use a regular HSS drill for many jobs.

If it was small diameter, it could break. If it was big enough diameter, it would probably just rip it's way through.. Either way it would probably be a slow down and cursing session at best, rather than complete prevention..

Trying to speak in code and not be too specific..
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:34 am

Plenty of lock manufacturers use hardened steel pins to increase drill resistance. If you check out my pin thread you'll see most of those locks have at least one stainless pin in there. :)
<<

Master David Goodmen

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:32 am

Where can one purchase steel pins? I have read of their being used in some locks---like the original Schlage B560 deadbolt---but I have never seen them in ads, web sites, et cetera. Indeed, on LAB's web site, finding nickel-silver pins is difficult, as almost all bottom pins, and definitely everything else, are brass. I know stainless-steel pins can be made, but I have the machine-shop skills of your average house cat!

Um, wait: I believe the pins were nickel-silver, with the plug being stainless steel. The original B500-Series was only the 560 [Single-cylinder, thumbturn]. It disappeared.
Later, there was a different B500-Series, which added 562 [double-cylinder], and other configurations. That disappeared, too!
Somewhere, I read there is a new B500-Series coming out. Seems the lock industry are working hard to be as confusing as the computer industry.

I expect steel pins would be expensive, as the machine tools will have much more wear on them, processing the harder material. The production rate would be less than for nickel-silver as well, further increasing the cost of the pins.
Intelligence, Logic, and Reason are very powerful tools---but only if used!
<<

rickthepick

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 28, 2010 1:17 am

stainless pins greatly increase drill resistance. moreso than a piece of hard plate as they spin around and are generally thicker

Return to Professional Locksmiths