FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Reverse engineer Locksmith key codes

<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:28 am

Reverse engineer Locksmith key codes

Over the years locksmiths have to find ways of getting information..luckily the internet was born and like minded
Intelligent people could and do share information.
Looking back in time ...locksmiths where the same but had to advertise in plain sight...IE in locksmith books. ROFL
See case Chicago lock co v fanberg a locksmith ... Only the late 1970s to appeal in 1982
A year later on the official date of Jan 1983 the internet was born .... Or information Super high way

"Chicago Lock Co. v. Fanberg - Case Brief - Wiki Law School" https://www.wikilawschool.net/wiki/Chic ... v._Fanberg

And the out come or verdict ruling https://h2o.law.harvard.edu/collages/42158
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:51 am

Re: Reverse engineer Locksmith key codes

Reverse engineering is permissible to obtain your own locks keys Codes
And are under no obligation to the company to keep this a secret.

you have signed no agreement to keep the company's codes a secret after all
So reason for a appeal . Which proved successful It was a reverse out come .
It's NOT a crime under California state law.

Many manufacturers still think in the same way today its ....a trade secret
A unfair trade practise And trade secret violation was the claim against the locksmith .
Really up to you personally if you want to share a key code you've got ..unless you've
Had to sign a company agreement.
So next time someone says. ..got the code you're in your rights to say ..sure have .

Restricted key profiles are really a manufacturers way around this ..no key blanks.
so there's no Real reason to obtain key codes is there logic ... So the locksmith does nothing
No he asks others if the blanks or codes are known to them ..it's common sense.

Locksmith Ledger, requesting that individual locksmiths transmit to him serial number-key code correlations in their possession in exchange for a copy of a complete compilation when finished. A number of locksmiths complied, and in late 1976 Fanberg and his father began to sell a two-volume publication of tubular lock codes, including those of Ace locks, entitled "A-Advanced Locksmith's Tubular Lock Codes." In 1976 and 1977 Fanberg advertised the manuals in the Locksmith Ledger for $49.95 and indicated that it would be supplemented as new correlations became known.

The two volumes 1 and 2 where brown in colour and look to be missing alot of the actual codes. :???:

Ringo
Last edited by 10ringo10 on Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:36 pm

Be nice to get a copy of that code book. :D

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:03 am

The books are abit redundant in today's world with the invention of tubular key decoders .
But his books still come up for sale and ...at bottom of every page is this .... copyright !

He said on a topic in 2012 ...I Quote

Back in the early 1970’s, I was using a computer and some proprietary software I had written to model the process of selecting combinations for various brands of padlocks. I published books for locksmiths and school districts to be able to open those locks by looking up the serial number. In order to protect the books from being copied, I had included some fictional data so that if someone were to try to copy the book, they would copy the fictional data right along with the accurate information.

Years later (in law school), I asked the professor if that process would have worked. He told me something very interesting. The fact that I had claimed my fictitious information was a fact in the book (by intermixing it with accurate information that way) meant that they were free to copy the book because it would not be considered creative expression (even though it was done in a creative way to make the fictitious information virtually undetectable). End Quote.

Creative or fictional ... It's clever but if your asking for input on a book from outside sources...key codes supplied by other locksmiths , cobblers , key cutters , chicago lock co ?? :cool: are they accurate.

We know today with certain key software the data is not always correct and complete series codes that are missing on others
IE. silca instacode genericode... to name the most commonly used by trades men and women , but he gained notoriety and went on to law school ...interesting subject but not for everyone and Possible the first original lockpicking lawyer :D

Return to Professional Locksmiths